Chapter 24: The hospital
754 3 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After 10 minutes the dejected children came back. There weren’t any tasks they were interested in. Those laborious work with low points weren’t the ones that they wanted.

„Are we done for today?” Dárius asked. It was still afternoon, but he was already hungry. Eating vegetables couldn’t give him enough power.

„Of course… not! We still don’t speak about the most important things!”

„The most important…?” Naómi was confused.

„Martial arts!” the 2 boys shouted excitedly.

„That’s right! But before that, we still need to visit another important place.”

„What else is still here?” Gregori asked.

„The hospital.”

„Hospital?! Aren’t there a lot of pills? Why need a hospital?”

„That’s a big misunderstanding. Maybe the cultivators called immortals, but it doesn’t mean that they can’t be sick or die. Pills can help when you injured or you catch some common illness, but it can’t save an almost dead person. You need the doctors to help you. If you lose your arm, it’s possible to grow back, but a doctor needs to check it every day. Every human’s organism is different. If you take medicine without thinking, it’s possible to end up growing something bizarre thing instead of an arm. Not to mention there are some special illness what will be worse if you try to treat it with pills. And there are the poisons too. Some have the same symptoms, and if you take in the wrong antidote it can kill you right away.”

„Really?!” the kids were shocked. They heard about immortals injure or kill each other, but they never thought they could be sick too. It was completely new to them.

Zotmund stood there without saying anything more. He gave them some time to understand, immortals didn’t that special as they used to think.

„So after I become an immortal, still I can catch a cold?” Gregori asked.

„Yes, but against these easy illness, you will be immune when your cultivation reaches the 3rd level. The higher the level, the lesser the illness. Legends say that only Gods will be immune to everything.”

„God this, God that, don’t they just legends? Why need to speak about them…” Dárius murmured.

„At the school, your dreams were to become immortals. Now you are already here. To move forward you need a new goal, so what’s your next dream?” Zotmund smiled.

The kids looked at each other. They still didn’t understand.

Zotmund sighed and went to their next destination.

„This building is where the doctors hold their classes. There are a lot of different subjects and I not really understand these things, so if you are interested you can go in and ask around. If I remember right, you can come here to learn when you start the 4th year. That year they teach you to become a good nurse, and you can help the doctors. From the 5th year, you can learn the chosen subject, or stay as a nurse. Usually half of the students who come here give up after 2-3 months.” Zotmund walked further away.

The next building was double as big as the previous one. There were a lot of children too.

„As a new student you need to do a health check to make sure, there’s no hidden danger. To do the Power awakening, your body needs to be in its best condition. The Soul awakening usually causes some problems too, so if you get any medicine don’t be afraid, you are in good hands.” Zotmund turned back. „Yes, they will give you medicine, not pills. You are still mortal! And the doctors here not just learn how to treat immortals. Most of the hospitals in the big cities are operated by cultivators.”

They walked into the building and went to the reception desk.

Belinda gave her card to a nurse. She touched it to a black box and the data’s jumped out. She wrote something down and then gave back the card with a numbered plate.

Belinda watched the process with interest. There were more things that were similar to computers.

They walked to the hall. There were 10 doors with a shiny blue colored number on it. When a student came out the number disappeared, then a new one appeared.

Belinda’s number was 315 and the last called number was 268. Most of the students were already done but stayed to wait for their friends.

Zotmund saw some of his buddies and left to spoke with them. Seeing this, his 3 students went to find their friends too.

Belinda stayed behind and leaned against the wall.

She had a lot of time until her number will be called, so she thought about an important thing. Time! In Médea’s memories, she didn’t paid too much attention to it, but here the days seemed to be longer.

Here 100 seconds was a minute, and 50 minutes was an hour. A day contained 20 hours. It sounds short, but she counted it. In Earth time, it’s almost 28 hours. And a year had 389 days…

On the planet where she grew up, a day was 23 hours long. But she heard about planets where a day was longer than 40 hours.

  Gladly, the days here not that long. I need some time to adapt, but if it’s really true that the immortals can stay awake for years, then there wouldn’t be any problem.

Finished her calculations, she looked around. She was surprised, Bertold stood next to her and read a book.

  He didn’t leave… So he’s the type, who takes seriously his duties. Then brother, continue to work hard and don’t give me a tough time!

Bertold suddenly looked at her. They watched each other for some seconds and turned away the same moment.

  It surprised me! I almost think that he can hear my thought.

She turned her attention to the students. When they were called, some went in alone, some went in with their mentor.

Before some students went in, their mentors told their name, and their other students’ numbers, so they were called in after each other. This way they were able to supervisor their kids’ health check.

Some mentors didn’t care about them and just stayed outside to chat. It was easy to see, who took it seriously.

Belinda shook her head. She was sure, Zotmund would only go in with Naómi.

18