Chapter 69: Selection
457 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning Belinda went to the practicing field with Bertold.

There were more teachers than before and they wrote down in their notebook what kind of weapon the students choose. They asked the mentors if they think those weapons were really okay or not. It seemed the final right of choice was in the mentor’s hand.

„Hey, Bertold!”

Belinda’s body stiffened. That man was as shining as before. She couldn’t understand why everyone called Horác a show off. Compared to Zotmund, he was nothing.

„Hey, pal!” Gregori walked to her and patted her shoulder.

„Morning!” she smiled at him.

In the beginning, Belinda didn’t liked to be with them, but after some months she slowly realized Gregori’s personality was similar to hers. He didn’t speak nonstop and just said what was the facts. They rarely met, but they used those times to chat. Of course, there were things they didn’t tell to the other, but they had a tactic understanding and never asked. They became friends in no time.

„Huh, when the two of you become so close to each other?” Zotmund was surprised.

„Hey, Gregori! You are a member of my team! Why are you so friendly to him?!” Naómi was furious. She couldn’t forgive the fact Belinda turned her back to her when she graciously went to speak with her.

Gregori turned to Belinda and they looked into the other’s eyes. They knew what the others thought and smiled at the same moment. They didn’t care what this annoying girl said.

„Really, this brotherhood.” Zotmund sighed and touched Bertold’s shoulder. „Hey! What are you doing?!” in the next second he jumped back and looked at his palm. It was burned.

Bertold sighed and Zotmund was confused. He didn’t know what he said that made him irritated.

Belinda spoke with Gregori, but suddenly she felt that dangerous aura and turned back. That man from the cafeteria was there and the student next to him was Aurél.

This time that feeling was stronger and Belinda unknowingly stepped back and stood next to Bertold.

The two mentors realized something wasn’t right and followed her line of sign.

„Oh, what a rare thing we could see here!” Zotmund was surprised.

The kids were confused, but they couldn’t have the chance to ask anything because a teacher stepped to them.

„Do you guys choose your weapon’s type?” he asked casually.

„Sword!” Belinda responded and Bertold nodded.

„Dagger!” Gregori followed.

„Axe!” Dárius said.

„No!” Zotmund stopped them. „You trained with a halberd and it is really suitable for you! Why the hell do you want an axe?!”

„But I can easily chop anything with an axe! The halberd’s shaft is too long! It’s hard to use!”

„Yesterday you said that it was okay!”

„That was yesterday! Today is today!” Dárius didn’t give up.

„… Then take your time to choose. You two, the sword there and the dagger there. Join to those teams.” the teachers pointed out their group.

Belinda thanked the teacher and left with Bertold. They didn’t waited for everyone before they left. She still saw Zotmund quarreling with Dárius and Naómi. It seemed those two were hard to pressure.

They went to the building behind the Smithy. Every type of weapons have their own room, that’s why they were separated, but Belinda’s luck wasn’t good. The most favored weapon was the sword! Almost half of the students stood in that line.

Choosing a weapon wasn’t that easy. They needed to try them out and see if it gave a good feeling to them. Sometimes you could tell just from a touch it wasn’t for you.

Belinda’s twin swords were different. Bertold spent a long time to analyze her fighting style to create the most suitable ones. She was grateful for it, but she couldn’t use them, they were too precious and having some spare weapons would be good too.

She watched the long line in front of her and sighed. „There will be enough swords?”

„It will.” surprisingly Bertold answered to her. „Inside the space bigger than what you can imagine. And swords are the most favored, thousands of them were forged.”

„Are they separated into long, short, one- and two-handed swords?” remembering about the library, she was sure it was a meaningless question.

„No.”

Belinda sighed. It would need a long time.

„Don’t be nervous. Just follow your feelings and you’ll find it in no time.”

„Really?”

Bertold nodded. „I found mine after 2 minutes.”

Belinda felt heartbroken. Her luck was really bad in this year.

  10 minutes! I’ll find it in ten minutes!

She encouraged herself.

2 hours passed and the line in front of Belinda was halved. She felt bored. During this time, Zotmund came here with the other two and they even got their weapons. In the end, Dárius followed his instruction and got a halberd, but Naómi had her way and got a really beautiful fan.

Gregori got his dagger after half an hour. It was completely black, even the light wasn’t able to make it shine. He didn’t know why, but he became really fond of it. He showed it to Belinda and stood in the line with her. He was interested in what kind of sword she would get.

„Hey, Gregori! Let’s go to try out the new weapons!” Dárius called him.

„I’m going later.”

„Don’t be like this!” Zotmund said. „You’ll see his weapon tomorrow. We’ll be together during the field practice.”

„Right!” Belinda looked at him. „Who will be the other 3 mentors? Do you know their students?”

„Zotmund didn’t say anything. He just had that annoying smile on his face when we asked it.” Gregori’s face darkened.

Belinda nodded. She knew Gregori’s wish was to become a teacher’s helper. That’s why he was so persistent asking her about Horác.

Zotmund only treated girls nicely. Dárius was too stupid to realize this and always went after him to ask things. Gregori was different, he hated to depend on others. Belinda was sure he inherited a lot of memories and it made him more mature.

In the end, Gregori reluctantly left with the others after Belinda promised she would show her weapon to him.

17