v1c15: Inequality of the Caves
47 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Christian chased, more like walked at this point, he and Ryan slowly passed the most active part of the cave. A short distance further, the ground started to get harder to walk on. Uneven elevation made the floor feel like stairs, both up and down. The light was near non-existent, as nobody bothered to recharge the batteries or even do primitive things like lighting a torch. The skin-and-bones of the two started panting, while the all-powerful psychic had seemingly endless stamina.

Suddenly, Ryan stopped and turned around, causing Christian to almost trip over himself, "It's good you're so persistent, I'm willing to give you a chance." he pointed to his right, "You need to mine both of our quotas."

Christian, hands on his legs and still recovering, wheezed, "Th-thanks, but doesn't it seem like I'm just doing your work for you?"

His response to that was Christian's body being lifted up and rotated in all different ways, "Does it look like I need you to do my work for me?" to which Christian gave a simple response of throwing up. He tapped his foot while giving Christian a chance to recover, sighing.

Christian took deep breaths, wiping his mouth and kneeling over, "Great, just great." he looked up at Ryan, "Did you think I was going to quit just from this? I don't know how long I've spent locked up in a pod or a cell, having no opportunity to change my circumstances." finally shakily standing, "Isn't it pointless if I quit now?"

Ryan, satisfied, turned to the ores, "Let's see what you're made of then, Christian."

Christian grabbed a pickaxe with one hand and attacked the ores.

...

His body ached, though he was only half done. Every muscle fiber in his upper body stretched and contracted, pulling the point of his tool back, then slamming it back down. Christian's body was in tatters, but he ignored the physical pain and focused on the task at hand. His mind was occupied with several thoughts. One, reoccurring, would be his regret in neglecting his body. He was lanky, skinny, and weak. An entire life comprised around coding had lead him to this point, a point where he wished he could trade all of his knowledge of programming for a stronger body. Anything strong enough to withstand the torment he was putting himself through.

Sometimes prisoners work hard for their second chances.

The numbness that had spread in Christian's body had gotten to the point where he needed to violently throw his entire body, slamming the pickaxe on the ore. His hands were still glued to the handle, only by sheer will. His legs trembled, knees shaking, joints collapsing. His mind, overloaded with pain, stopped, as he fell to the ground, his field of vision fading to black.

...

Christian jolted up, scanning his surroundings. A relief to him, it was a familiar sight- Ryan's room. His body was laid on a makeshift bed, made from the earth, while he was covered with a straw and grass blanket. Christian tried to get up but groaned, his muscles reminding him that he wasn't ready to get out of bed yet. The door suddenly opened, causing Christian to flinch, but it was Ryan.

"Good to see you're awake." he exclaimed, "I like stubborn guys like you, but God almighty, know when to give it a rest." pinching his fingers close together, he continued, "You were about this close from permanent damage to your body."

Christian gave a weak smile, "So then why didn't I? Surely it wasn't dumb luck?" then leaning back on his bed.

Ryan, lighting a fire in Christian's eyes, told him an irresistible truth, "It wasn't easy, but using my mental ability and feeling your body, I was able to fix many of the issues that had sprouted from your little show of persistence."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0