Chapter-13: First Experiences for Sports are Never Easy
910 4 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lucas was now standing on that training area, in his simple brown shirts and shorts, without any accessories on the clothing and his hands, wearing a pair of half gloves. Besides him was Ryosuke who was also in his comfortable clothing which was suitable for exercises.

Today was the first day for their swordsmanship lessons. Although Ryosuke was going to have different lessons later, he had to train together with Lucas for now as he had no basic training for swordsmanship, much worse, he hadn't even held a sword before. The most similar thing to a sword that he held on earth was badminton.

Lucas was also excited to learn how to use a sword. He didn't have any mana affinity for weaponry arts but that doesn't mean he couldn't use it. If he trained hard, he should be able to defend himself properly although it would be meaningless against a weapons master, of course.

But the last thing Lucas wanted most was to be powerless, and only to depend on others for his own safety. For healers like him, it was unnecessary to learn fighting skills because they would always be protected wherever they went. If they went on a monster raid with an adventure party, they would be protected by party members and even if they participated in war, they still would be protected by many ability users. Shields would always be everywhere they went.

Thus, there were almost no healers who would make effort on such weaponry arts or other magic types and they would only focus on developing their skills and mana durability in order to improve their worth. But Lucas didn't want to be like that. He didn't want to be left behind only to be protected. At least he didn't want to be completely defenseless on his own.

With such a determined mind, Lucas looked towards his instructor who also appeared to be studying them like every teacher who saw their students first would do. He was being checked from head to toe and so was Ryosuke and that made both of them really awkward. Since the time they arrived at the training area, that instructor, who was a middle-aged good built man with his brown hair tied backward, was studying them with his sharp green eyes without even telling them anything, not even introduction.

"I am Brook Housland, captain of the third division of royal knights. As you must have heard, I am your instructor from today on." Finally the instructor introduced himself shortly. "You two definitely need muscle strength before we can even start it. Will you even be able to hold a sword properly? Especially you, white haired kid!" His eyes were narrowed. It seemed that he felt it might be useless teaching them skills.

"I am called Lucas, sir." Lucas didn't protest anything as Brook said nothing wrong. He just promised to himself that he would definitely blow up this mind of his teacher one day by training hard.

"I know! Who wouldn't know you? And that brat also looked like he would be thrown away just with a hit." Brook said, pointing his hand to Ryosuke. "I am gonna give you two a hard time, so be prepared. Don't think that you can just slack off just because you are a duke's son."

Lucas felt kind of irritated for his behavior. He was trying to be polite to his teacher, out of his habit of in his past world. He had to keep reminding himself to be patient and endure so that he would not break a fight with his teacher on his first day.

Their day began with push ups and running around the field. Lucas definitely felt like he was in hell and he had to control his mind not to heal himself as it would definitely mean there would be no changes to him whatever he did. He had never done such kind of strenuous exercise since he had come to this world, realizing that he needed a lot to build up strength.

Finally after 50 push ups, Lucas really gave up when lying on the ground of the training field, reaching his limit that he could not break anymore for today. He was huffing so much that he felt like he was going to die from tiredness, believing that he was gonna have huge muscle pains in the evening or the next morning.

"Tsk Tsk…. we are going to have a long way to go like this." Brook shook his head like Lucas was really pathetic one.

"I…..am…..sorry, teacher…" Lucas tried his best to make words. But surprising to him, Brook didn't seem to be as stern as before, leaving Lucas alone and focusing on Ryosuke. Unfortunately, Ryosuke did have to go through longer exercise than him.

Finally, when Ryosuke couldn't hold on anymore, Brook let them go for a rest of 15 minutes which made two poor children sighed in relief. Both of them immediately lay down flat on the grass which was under the shady tree, finally understanding how it felt so great to rest.

"Lucas, I think if it goes on, I am going to die before I can even hold a sword." Ryosuke cried out like a tortured man.

"Haha, me too. And Brook definitely has a temper of his own." Lucas laughed.

Lucas also had another reason why he was enduring this teacher and wanted to follow his way of teaching. It was because he was the original instructor of Ryosuke in the novel. He was the one who made Ryosuke super proficient with swords. He didn't really remember what was the exact personality of Brook but he at least knew Brook was a capable teacher who knew what his student needed.

"But he will definitely be a good teacher! Don't worry." Lucas added, motivating Ryosuke not to give up.

"Hope so. Ahhhh, I really don't know why I am even doing this…..!" Ryosuke's protest didn't stop. Although he was good at sports before, none of those sports he did were this tiring.

'You won't be saying this if you know what kind of mess you have to go through in the future.' Lucas almost told aloud of that fact. Later in the story, he remembered how much strength Ryosuke wanted.

"By the way, what happened to your hand?" Lucas asked while looking at the scratches that Ryosuke had on his palm.

"Ah I think it got scratched a bit while I was doing push ups. The ground was really rough there."

'I think I should at least heal those scratches. I can also train healing magic practically.' With such thoughts, Lucas held up both hands of Ryosuke, and activated his first-cycle of healing magic which made Ryosuke a bit surprised and watched him in awe. Seeing magic was still unfamiliar to Ryosuke after all.

Lucas didn't need any special chants or magic cycle to use his major magic. All he had to do was to concentrate on his flow of mana and imagine what kind of state should Ryosuke's hands be returned to. It was so simple and a few seconds later after some green glows as usual, all the scratches disappeared without even leaving a scar.

"That was awesome Lucas! By the way, are you ok to use it like this? The last time, you fainted, right?" Ryosuke was looking at his hands immensely, admiring the ability of healing magic.

"That much is ok. It didn't even make me tired!" Lucas smiled. "And you should be able to do this much, too, if you train."

"Does it also replenish your energy?" Ryosuke asked as he was wondering if he should use it during Brook's lessons so he would not die out of tiredness.

"Of course. But if you use it during your training, that would mean that your training would be meaningless as the benefits caused by strains on your body will also disappear." Lucas explained as he was getting a hence why Ryosuke was asking this for.

"That's sad… Ahhhh so we have no way of running away from that training!!!!"

Before Lucas could even reply, Brook called them back back to training with his tone as blunt as usual, complaining that they were slowpokes.

This time Brook threw them wooden swords respectively without even a notice which both of them caught them well and with perfect timing, making Brook go like "Whew~~" with a whistle.

Lucas didn't know about Ryosuke that much but for him, holding a sword was not that unfamiliar. Why? Because he played Kendo (which is a Japanese Traditional Sword Art) for three whole years in his life as Arkar and he was also surprisingly good at this. If he didn't get involved in a car crash, he might already be selected as a representative.

Holding this wooden sword made him remember about his days training with a shinai (which is also the training wooden sword for kendo). He played kendo out of curiosity because that appeared a lot in anime and manga but he continued to play it without intention to leave.

Next lessons from Brook were not as hellish as before. He started to teach Lucas and Ryosuke the basic posture of holding a sword and how to make clean strikes in front which both of them were able to follow the instructions splendidly exceeding Brook's expectations.

After continuing countless straight swings, Brook finally let them stop the training as it was already lunch time.

"Ok. That's it for today. Hmm, you guys are not as bad as I thought in holding a sword. I can finally see some string of hope." Brook exclaimed with his tone a lot better and less stern than before.

Lucas didn't expect to hear a compliment from this teacher on just the first day but he was glad he heard it. At least Brook would hold better impressions on them. Ryosuke, of course, was also able to follow Brook's instruction as he was a natural born overpowered swordmaster.

For the rest of the day, the two of them let their time pass by sleeping, relaxing and chatting about Ryosuke's old world. They both got to the bed earlier than usual and as expected, heavy muscle pain was welcoming Lucas in the following morning.

Lucas then groaned, not wanting to get up or join the hellish training from Brook again, thinking that 'Gahhh….. The first experience of getting into physical sports is never good.' and preparing for himself to be ready to get through the suffering for a few months.

35