Chapter-34: First Step
464 9 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Getting a familiar can help....' Lucas thought. If Lucas could get a familiar, related with the attack mana and such, he would be able to use the mana that the familiar had. It was perfect. Lucas had a lot of mana to spend when it came to healing and if he just got something to enhance his sword skills or physical strength, he imagined himself being quite durable.

But Lucas instantly considered his plan as it was a plan that even Ryosuke had failed. And people who gained the familiar spirits were extremely rare. So rare that it was hard to find a person with a familiar spirit in one century.

It was because of its difficulty. Lucas sighed when he thought about the steps that needed to get a familiar, in order words, guardian spirits. Actually there were not that many steps but the problem was the difficulty. Firstly, he needed to find the correct location, secondly the correct summoning circle, and finally pass the test of the spirit. Simple, yet difficult.

Lucas didn't know the location or summoning circle or what the test was. It wasn't even described properly in the novel, only telling that Ryosuke was guided by the veteran and tried to summon a spirit but then failed to gain the contract.

'I don't even know what the test was!?' Lucas seriously considered. The novel never described the components of the test and just said that Ryosuke was asleep after the summoning chant and when he woke up, he just said he failed. It was just that. Nothing more was described.

'The novel is a record so maybe the information of the test was exclusive?' Lucas considered. 'Wait........ rather than thinking about the test, let's find the location first....' Lucas sighed heavily as he got a headache for thinking. He didn't really like those things that needed the usage of his brain.

'I don't know where to find the veteran....'

Lucas really didn't know whether the veteran came to find Ryosuke first or they just met by accident but he remembered one thing. That man had the book, in which the various circles for summoning were described.

'Since the way was only known by that man.... I think I should find him first.'

Finding somebody whom one didn't know the name or face was difficult but for Lucas, he had one way as he didn't know where the man was or lived but he knew a map which could locate things.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'As I expected, it isn't here.'

Lucas closed the hardcover book in tiredness, after which he laid down his head on the desk. The books piled up around the seat where he was sitting, making it impossible to see Lucas if one just came into the library from the front door.

"Shall I put the books back, master Lucas?" Tus asked Lucas who was sighing while shoving the books away as if he didn't want to see them anymore.

"Yes, please Tus..."

Lucas just looked lazily at Tus who was replacing the books that Lucas had read one by one. Not after some seconds, Eura came into the library with a tray, on which was a cup of coffee. As she placed the cup in front of Lucas, she noticed the worn out looks in Lucas's eyes.

"Haven't found what you are looking for, Lucas?"

"No...." Lucas immediately took a sip of the coffee, refreshing himself from tiredness which he got from scanning the pages.

"You should take a rest, master Lucas." Tus had just finished putting the books back to the shelves, walking back towards Lucas as he reminded him. "What about continuing tomorrow?"

'I am not even tired, yet.' Lucas thought as he had no reason to get tired from just skimming a few books which contained the pictures of maps. He was just feeling hopeless from thinking of the reasons to go back to the capital.

"There is no need to do so." Lucas just sighed. He had expected that the map would not be in every geography book but he couldn't help but to hope it existed as it would save him from trouble of visiting the library in the capital. "It isn't here." Lucas murmured.

"What are you looking for? Maybe we can help?" Eura volunteered. She thought that Lucas would be enjoying the morning sleep because there was no Brook who would come to train him because that instructor was busy in eliminating the new monsters which had just recently been discovered in some forests near the territory.

Tus also nodded at Eura's word, agreeing with her earnestly as he gazed at the little master who was having his coffee slowly like he didn't have any energy to lift the cup.

"Actually, I am looking for a map." Lucas spoke out while thinking that he should make Tus and Eura go and check some other books here and there in case he couldn't get permission to go out from his family. As Lucas lifted the quill near him to write on a black paper, Tus and Eura looked closely at what Lucas wrote down.

"That map has a small sign like this." He sketched down a small symbol which looked like an English word 'B' but written with only straight lines.

The maker, in other words the one who inscribed them was unknown just like the weapons with unknown crafters. The usage was found out accidentally by the head priestess a long time ago and this information was not revealed to the people because there were many risks if more people knew. For example, some dangerous people could easily know some exclusive locations where sacred items were kept.

"I have never seen something like this..." Tus exclaimed while looking at the symbol carefully. "Is it the symbol of the owner?" The maps here had a symbol of the country or territory of the map at the corner and sometimes they even had the signature of the cartographer but Tus couldn't recall any territory or well-known map maker with this symbol.

"Many of them were destroyed a long time ago." Lucas put down the quill and sipped his coffee again. 'Although they kept some in their hands for some purposes.' There were some conditions to use those maps so there were not overpowered items which could show the location of everything. Like they couldn't show the location of the ones that contain souls.

Since Lucas had seen the library of Evandall mansion, he tried looking for such maps but he couldn't so he gave up. But now he wanted to look for them in the library again to be sure, since the library contained a wide variety of maps, also the ancient ones, and unfortunately, it was just like Lucas had expected. He couldn't find it. So he gave up finding it, thinking it was not necessary now.

"Why are you looking for this?" Eura looked closely at the symbol that Lucas drew.

"It's just that I have something to find with it." Lucas recalled that in the novel, the map with the symbol that he had just written down had an ability to show the location of what one wanted if infused with mana. And he needed it to locate the book.

Such maps could still exist, luckily, in some libraries and another way was to look for it in the territory of monsters and demons, just like those weapons whose crafters were unknown.

'Ryo found it during a raid on a territory of monsters.......' Lucas considered attacking that territory if possible but he didn't know or remember exactly where it existed.

'Should I go ask some mercenaries or hunters? They pretty much knew about the items and they might know if there was a map like that in the market...... But would they pay attention to a map? Or should I just break into the main cathedral? They pretty much kept some sacred things there.' And Lucas wanted to laugh at himself, knowing how absurd the second way was.

"Lucas, I think I know something like this."

Lucas's ears were lifted and his eyes widened in happiness when Eura finally spoke.

"Where did you find it?"

'I hope it is somewhere reachable....'

"It is in my village."

"Eh?"

"I found it once in the leader's possession-box. He said it is kind of like an heirloom. Oh, I remember it quite well because it was very strange. I mean who would treasure a simple map which is just a description of our valley."

'It is precious, Eura! Very precious!' But at the same time Lucas wondered if the map would still exist because Eura's village was destroyed.

"I know where it is kept. I can go get it if you want."

'If Eura can get it, then it saves a lot of trouble....'

"I would be very appreciative if you go." Lucas was really thankful. But Lucas didn't want to let her go alone. Even if she was already 17 years old, her looks are still that of a 12 years old kid. And Lucas believed Eura would definitely be sad when she visited there so she might need someone with her.

"Then, I will leave today if you want."

"Tus, can you go with Eura?"

'Tus would be the best one to accompany her since they have known each other for a long time.' Lucas thought. He also wanted to go with Eura but his family would not let him go there. Even if he lied, they would make Carl and other people to go with him and he believed Carl also wouldn't let him go. No one would allow if a ten year old kid said he wanted to visit where beast people usually inhabited.

"But master, if I also go, who will take care of you? I mean, you will be alone." Tus also wanted to accompany Eura because he was worried but at the same time, he didn't want to leave Lucas to be alone.

"I will be just staying in the mansion and daily necessities will be taken care of by others. So don't worry, Tus." Lucas made a soft smile. 'Yep, they really don't need to worry! I can pretty much take care of myself.'

With this, Tus finally agreed to go together with Eura as it would only take them altogether 2 days to go there and come back and they decided to leave today. And so, Lucas was left alone for the evening. He felt great because if Eura could bring it back, that meat he had his first step towards getting familiar was done.

"How is your meeting, brother, sister?" Lucas felt concerned, because even though Maria was calm and collected as always, Edwin was surprisingly quiet at the dinner. 'Did the results didn't go well?' He wondered, looking at his brother carefully.

"Ah, it was great!" Edwin suddenly said, his eyes converted from the gaze towards the plate to Lucas.

'It was not. You never say a meeting is great.' Lucas knew how much his brother hated meetings so he found it suspicious.

"Really, brother? You look so serious, though?"

"Yep! You have nothing to worry about!" Edwin laughed a bit, to ease his seriousness that Lucas was telling about.

"Yes, Lucas. It is just Edwin's unstable state of mind as always. Don't worry." Maria also smiled gently as usual.

And it was when Lucas found it more and more suspicious.

'What in the world happened again this time!?'

He had no choice but to try to drag out more answers from his dear brother and sister.


A/N: Sorry for not updating for 3 whole days TT. I was quite busy, that's why. Thank you for reading and sorry for making you guys wait! Love you all dear readers!!

24