Chapter [10] High Priestess: A Saturday At Home (part 2, First POV)
42 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Brother, what are you waiting for? Let's go eat at the nearby Mac. Today, it’s my treat!" Dora's voice came from the apartment's entrance, drawing my attention. While I was contemplating the divination result, she had swiftly collected the cards and ran out.

Right now, the hunger in my stomach had a heavier impact on me than the strange sense of apprehension. After all, humans were simple creatures. I wasted no time opening my mouth, "Wait for a second. I need to change my clothes."

Just imagining the french fries and burger was enough to fill my mouth with saliva. However, "Wait…Is this the best thing you can treat me to?!" I really felt quite let down.

"Picky! That's why you are single," Dora poked her head back inside the bedroom. "Eww, I don't wanna see your butt!" I could hear the shock and displeasure in her voice. What was the big deal? We grew up together, and she shouldn't overreact when seeing her brother changing his clothes. Women are unfathomable!

"Then don't peek at me while I’m changing. Anyways, I'd prefer it if you wanted to see Will's naked butt and not mine." Without batting an eye, I slipped on a shirt and took out my coat from the wardrobe. "I’m ready. Let's go."

"If you stop trying to play matchmaker and shipping me with your friend, we might still remain siblings!" grumbling in annoyance, Dora exited the residence.

I raised my brows after hearing her remark. "First of all, that isn't how blood ties work. And secondly, what do you not like about Will? He is pretty good-looking, not to mention kind, and caring. And most importantly, you have your big brother's blessings," while speaking, I locked the door behind us and descended the stairs. "I’m meeting him later to go see a movie. Do you want to join us?" I wasn't sure how she would react, so I observed her from the corner of my eye.

"Why not date him yourself if you like him so much?" she rolled her eyes at me, "I'll pass this time...But! If you pay for half of the lunch, I’ll drop you off with the car at the cinema." It was unfortunate for Will, but I did my best.

"You really are a miser, aren't you?" I said, feeling complicated.

"Like brother, like sister~" was her carefree reply.

It didn't take us long to reach the MacDonalds. And after Dora's never-ending nagging, I finally conceded to cover my own portion of the food. This reminded me why I nearly never went out to eat with her...Honestly, compared to my sister, I felt like a real spendthrift!

On the way here, through the side window of the car, I spotted a large billboard. It had an advertisement about the benefits of anti-flu vaccination. This reminded me that soon it would be that time of the year. As late autumn arrived, the sales of the pharmacy would skyrocket. Some people would buy the vaccines, while others would need to purchase anti-viral medication. Anyway, this was just a fleeting moment as the car quickly passed by, leaving the billboard far behind. As they say, out of sight, out of mind.

Today, the fast-food restaurant seemed somewhat empty. Besides us, on the table across was an elderly couple. Looking at them, I wondered if it was really okay for them to eat fast food? Elderly people often had problems with digestion, and MacDonalds wasn't the most appropriate place to receive adequate nutrients either. Of course, I wouldn't meddle in other people's business. I would only silently observe, as always.

At the same time, two tables to our right, a mother-child duo were enjoying their meal. Occasionally smiling and laughing at the child's mischief. While chatting, the little boy would cough from time to time, earning his mother's concerned look. After a bit of contemplation and digging at her purse, the mother finally found some medicine and forced it down the child's throat. Perhaps, the taste wasn't to his liking as the boy's brows furrowed

"Hello, Earth to Light, can you hear me? Or are you traveling faster than the sound? Oh, that was a good one!" Dora's cold joke startled me and broke my mental drifting. However, the haze in my head had considerably cleared by now.

"Ah yes, I was just thinking about work...I seem to have forgotten something at the pharmacy. I was wondering if I should stop by and get it off my mind," my voice was a bit odd as I turned to explain my behavior. My heart was heavy.

"Bruh, you are such a workaholic. That's why you"

"If you dare say that again, I will run away and let you pay the bill!"

This threat worked like a miracle because Dora momentarily shut her mouth. Seeing her reaction, I couldn't hide my smile. Really, my sister is such a miser...

Looking at the time, I urged her to finish her drink and drop me by the cinema. I had an appointment with my best friend William in less than thirty minutes.

"Get some rest, and don't push yourself... And let's go back home these days to see mom and dad."

To these words, I couldn't reply. My stomach contracted, and my heart was pounding in my chest. I couldn't help myself from stealing a few more glances at my sister's face. If only...I shook my head to get rid myself of the wishful thoughts. Sometimes, there were no if only in this world.

...

"Long time no see, Will!" I patted my best friend's back as he approached. From the corner of my eye, I noticed a keychain poking from William's pocket. It had the shape of a chemical formula; serotonin, the mediator of happiness. However, what I felt right now was definitely not happiness. "Not yet. Not yet," like a silent prayer, I chanted in my mind. But it was already too late to pretend I couldn't see the signs. Taking a deep breath, I looked back at the smiling William. Just a few more minutes. I would let myself be fooled for just a few more minutes.

After glancing around me, Will's eyes flashed with a bit of disappointment. His smile slowly faded away. 

William had a crush on Dora since a long time ago, and I knew it well. In fact, Dora wasn't as strongly opposed as she appeared to be. If she really didn't like someone, she would have straightforwardly spit it in their face. There was chemistry between Will and Dora. Yet, that obstinate sister of mine was still pretending to this day. "She isn't here. There was something urgent to do in her job, so she left in a hurry," I whispered.

"Oh," William's bitter reply came back, "Thank you, Luca, but there is no need to go that far to comfort me. I know she is still angry at me...Or she just doesn't like me," he forced a smile and shook his head as if to get rid of his negative feelings. "Anyway, let's go watch the movie. It’s a bestseller, and the reviews are superb. The name is...'The Priestess.’"

"’The Priestess...'" my lips curved up slightly, but I wasn't happy, "It must be a very realistic fantasy."

...

The movie didn't matter anymore, as I just stared at the darkness of the cinema. William didn't talk either. He silently watched the projection from my side.

Actually, there were so many signs pointing to the truth. But, this time, the truth was not what I wanted. I was good at lying, so good that I willingly believed my own lies.

Taking out the folded paper from the pocket of my coat, I read it slowly.

/ Yesterday I forgot, so today, I absolutely need to go to the pharmacy to retrieve a vital item. It is locked in my locker./

This message alone should have been enough. I shouldn't have needed the Tarot reading, nor the countless med-related hints. The keywords were: forgot, today, absolutely, pharmacy, vital, and locked.

This note was a reminder. It existed to tell me that I had forgotten the previous day and was trapped in today. To save my life, I had to visit the pharmacy before the end of the day. This is why the item was vital. The last clue was the locked closet; It wasn't a matter of something being locked inside. It was I who was locked outside of it.

"Because my real closet can’t be locked anymore," I mumbled bitterly. My voice was too soft to be heard by anyone.

...

As we exited the mall, I turned to face Willian. There was a slight stiffness in my bitter smile. "I just remembered something I had to do. Sorry Will, but I will have to get going now...Let’s meet again."

"Oh, come on, Luca. Let's hang out for a bit longer. We haven't seen each other for such a long time. When will be the next time the both of us are free?" His words were very reasonable. As both of us were working adults with volatile working time, it was hard to synchronize our schedules. However, this was not the real meaning behind his statement.

Turning around, I walked toward the bus station, "I’m really sorry, Will. Definitely, the next time"

"Luca!" he shouted after me. "There may not be another chance."

These words reverberated in my mind, but I didn't turn back as my steps became faster. My fists were clenched tightly.

Near the station, my phone rang up. Looking at the screen, it was a familiar name.

"Yes, mom?" My voice was lower than usual.

"Luca, how are you doing, dear? You haven't come home in ages. Both me and your father miss you a lot. Why don't you call Dora, and both of you can come to visit us?" My mother's voice sounded older than I remembered. It was true that I hadn't gone home in more than a year.

"Mom, I have to go now," This was harder than I expected. It was so much more painful to say goodbye directly.

"You are overworking yourself, dear. Get some rest, just for this weekend. Come home and let us see your face."

"Mother, I can't," My voice cracked a bit as I looked outside of the bus. While we were talking, I had already boarded a line that passed by my workplace. It was very close, and I could arrive in less than 10 minutes.

On the other side of the phone, my mother sighed sadly, "If you miss this chance...we may never see each other again."

I closed my eyes for a few seconds and pursed my lips. After a while, I finally managed to answer, "We will, someday," The call ended, and not long later, I got off of the vehicle.

Reaching the pharmacy, I took my key out and unlocked the glass door. After deactivating the security system, I went to my locker. In front of it, my phone flashed again, and a message appeared on the screen. My steps paused. But, ultimately, I clicked on the chatting app to reply.

Dora: Brother, it isn't too late to come back.

Luca: Unfortunately, it is.

Dora: After you wake up, perhaps only struggle and misery will await you...

Luca: I know.

Dora: Do you? In this dream, you have us. Outside, you will face the next challenge, and the next one, followed by more and more. You could die at any moment. And even if you don't, what will be waiting at the end?

I laughed in exasperation. I hated this game.

Luca: I am already dead. And, I too want to see what’s waiting beyond.

Dora: Outside of this dream, you may be dead. But here you can be with us forever.

I couldn't take it anymore, so I snapped back. My fingers were trembling, and I had a hard time typing the message. However, this time what I felt was burning rage. My gut was on fire, yet my head remained cold.

Luca: Will you stop this already? High Priestess, I am thankful for you letting me meet them again. But it is time for you to end this charade. Tell me, what exactly are you?

The High Priestess: So you really did remember...

The High Priestess: I am the examiner and the challenge itself. I won't say any more.

Luca: Why are you surprised? There were so many hints. Didn't you arrange for them to be here?

The High Priestess: This is how the game is supposed to be. However, more challengers can't or don't want to remember. The obstacles and their own inner selves make them deaf and blind. And they are happier that way.

Luca: This is just a dream! The moment the game time ends marks the end of this illusion. The challenger will just dissipate.

The High Priestess: That's right. But, they do so with a smile.

Luca: You are a cruel one.

The High Priestess: Aren't you the same?

Gazing at this message for a second, I silently closed the app.

Without further ado, I opened the door of the closet, taking out a card from inside.

It depicted a sitting woman in flowing light-blue robes. On her head, she wore a horned diadem with a globe in the middle, and in her feet lay a crescent moon. In her hands was the divine law containing the memory of the past, present, and future. She was surrounded by two erect pillars - one black and one white. This was The Third Arcana - The High Priestess.

Did you enjoy the POV change for this challenge?
  • Yes. It was befitting for the specifics of this challenge. Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Yes. However, I needed time to adjust. Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No. However, it wasn't too bad. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. It felt strange. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indifferent. It didn't matter what POV was used. Votes: 1 16.7%
Total voters: 6
3