XXVIII
141 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It’s so good to see you again in person, Akari,” The man said with a smile and bow. I glanced over at Rei who simply stared at him nervously.

            “I’ve seen you on the television a number of times but its been years since I last saw you in person,”  he said with a bright smile.

            “I,” I began, looking over at Rei for support. “I’m sorry, I don’t remember you.”

            “I was told by your aunt that may be the case,” Nobuo smiled broadly as Amanda returned to her seat. “I look forward to getting to know you again just like when we were children and growing our relationship once more!”

            “I-I see,” I replied with a hesitant smile, feeling queasy as my head began to throb.

            “I wasn’t sure I’d be able to get off on such short notice,” Nobuo grinned at Amanda as one of the maids spooned food onto his plate. “But when I heard Akari had come back I had to at least try! I’m so glad it worked out.”

            “This may all be very sudden for her, Nobuo,” Amanda said easily. “It will take some time for her to remember so I recommend you give her some time to get used to all this.”

            “Of course! I certainly don’t want to do anything to upset you,” he smiled at me. “Although I do look forward to hearing about your life and reconnecting with you!”

            “Um,” I mumbled, fighting down a wave of nausea that seemed to overwhelm me. I looked to Rei who scowled.

            “I’m sure you do but I imagine Akari is feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment,” Rei said politely.

            “Oh, I do apologize!” Nobuo bowed once more to me. “I apologize for the shock and if I offended you. It wasn’t my intention, I assure you”

            “No, no, it’s just that I honestly d-don’t remember y-you,” I replied unsteadily, my head swimming. “I-I’m terribly sorry.”

            “Well, we were very young, but I’m sure if we spend some time together your memory will return,” Nobuo replied. “If not we can always create new memories together.”

            “I-I suppose…“ I replied uncomfortably, my stomach rolling over again.

            “If it’s agreeable I would like to stay a couple of days,” Nobuo said to Amanda. “Though it was difficult to get off work I feel it would benefit both Akari and I to spend some time getting to know each other again.”

            “You are welcome to stay, I’ll have a room prepared for you,” Amanda said with a smile.

            “I would greatly appreciate it and thank you,” he replied with a bow.

            “I-I’m not very hungry,” I mumbled, standing unsteadily. “I apologize.” I walked as quickly as I could out of the room, Rei followed closely behind.

            “I hope you feel better,” Nobuo bowed again as I left, followed quickly by Rei. “Have a good evening and hopefully we can speak again soon.”

            I almost didn’t make it to the bathroom before throwing up. My stomach was tied in knots and my vision seemed to be swimming. I lay my cheek against the cool tile of the wall. A knock came at the door and I jumped in surprise.

            “A-chan, can I come in?” Rei’s voice said from the other side of the door.

            “O-Ok,” I muttered quietly.

            “Are you all right?” Rei asked, closing the door behind her.

            “No,” I mumbled, unable to move my head away from the wall for fear of passing out.

            “This can’t be easy,” Rei said.

            “Why would I get engaged?” I muttered. I didn’t remember anything about Nobuo Inoue. His face and presence wasn’t the least bit familiar.

            “I can’t believe you would,” Rei replied, taking my head gently and laying it against her shoulder. “It doesn’t make any sense.”

            “Why would they lie, though? To what end?” I mumbled, closing my eyes as I fought back another wave of nausea.

            “I don’t know, A-chan,” Rei replied. “But I don’t like it. Not one bit.”

            “How do you think I feel?” I muttered.

            “Do you want me to stay with you tonight?” Rei asked softly. I nodded, more tired that I had ever felt in my life.

            “Let’s get you to bed,” Rei said with a comforting smile. She helped me to my feet and supported me as I made my way slowly to the bedroom.

7