Volume 1 – Chapter 3 – Better badly accompanied than alone …
291 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

| Night of July 16, 1244 - Jüterbog - Attila |

After that massacre I had done, I left the house and locked the door so that the dead would be found as late as possible. No matter the reason, I did it, it was still a horrible and unforgivable thing.

In those moments I couldn't control myself, as if my anger had increased from what it was. In any case, I don't have much time to think back to what happened, what is done is done. <<Now that I do not have someone to feed me, somehow I have to get by alone! >> I thought during my race to no one knows where in the middle of that macabre night but also from the starry sky.

| Morning of July 19, 1244 - Jüterbog - Bailiff of the city - Messer Barthel |

<<Messer Barthel! Messer Barthel! >>

Someone was yelling my name, making me wake up from my little morning nap. My subordinate Dolf was the one calling me out loud.
<<Dolf, do not ever dare to scream my name while I'm resting! What the fuck do you want?! >>,

Dolf said mortified: <<I'm so sorry for the trouble Messer Barthel but what I'm about to tell you is important >>

I sat back in my chair and replied: << Pff, talk on >>.

<< Yes, here: the last family we were looking for, guilty of the massacre of the nobles of Jüterbog which took place 14 years ago, was found dead in their own home >>

I was surprised, everyone in the city did everything they could to not let us know the exact location of this family and now that we know where it was, we found them dead: << Well, very strange. How did you find out where they were? >>.

<<The blacksmith of the city told us that the head of the family had not been to work for 2 days. So he decided to go check it out, but when he knocked no one answered, the door was locked and he thought they had gone somewhere else. Today, he returned to that house and, knocking like yesterday, no one answered. But from behind the front door, there was a terrifying smell, so the blacksmith decided to break down the door. There he saw everyone dead and was terrified, even the head of the family's wife was sitting on the ground with a pitchfork stuck in her eyes ... >>

Undoubtedly it was all very strange, who could ever have the motivation and the strength to slaughter an entire family in this way? A little shaken I resumed:<<And in your opinion who can be responsible for this multiple murder? >>

After a few seconds, Dolf said:<<I don't know exactly, I asked the same question to the blacksmith but he replied that he did not know since this family had a good reputation >>.

<<The fact remains, however, that they were found dead, now I'm going to make an arrest warrant ... >>

Dolf interrupted me: << Excuse the interruption, but Messer Barthel is not over here >>.

I glossed over the fact that he had interrupted me: << Come on, every detail is useful >>.

<< According to what is said in the city, the family consisted of 5 people: father, mother, two brothers and an adopted boy of whom not much is known, they were found all dead except the latter who is missing>>.

I sat back in the chair with a shocked face, that boy is the son of those noblemen who died years ago and that they adopted him on that occasion? He could then be the killer of the family, once he learns the truth. Nonono, he would be 14 now and I don't think he has the strength to kill an entire family ...

Dolf looked at me and said:<<Messer Barthel, is there something wrong? >>.

I was lost in my thoughts, so it was like I ignored him.

In the end, I was forced to hang all those people, I was ordered by the Marquis Eilbert to investigate and take to trial all those responsible for the noble's death of 14 years ago.

But if the boy didn't die there ... Aha here, maybe the Marquis also sent an undercover agent to do something to that boy ...

What an unfortunate life he had, I hope he wasn't killed. And if the marquis sent that person, then I think it's implied that we shouldn't get involved. But if we do not intervene, the people will not take it well.

On the other hand, it is better to be insulted by the commoners than to be killed by the Marquis.

More than a few minutes had already passed, Dolf was always there staring at me.

After thinking about this possibility I told him: << Listen Dolf, this thing must remain between you and me, I think that the Marquis sent a killer to that family on purpose and that he kidnapped the boy. If this theory is correct, we cannot get in the way of Marquis. I have no solid evidence that this theory of mine is correct. But I think it is better not to risk it. We will not make any arrest warrant, the case ends here! >>.

Dolf objected:<<But we can not ignore Messer Barthel, we will lose that shred of the reputation we already have - >>

I interjected: << Listen! In my view, it is much better to have a lowly petty reputation than to be killed by the Marquis or one of his assassins! I decide what to do and I told you not to do anything, clear?! >>

Dolf looked at the floor: << Yes, Messer Barthel is right, I hope you can forgive my insolence ... >>.

I replied:<<Dolf, it bothers me to lose face like this, thinks that I didn't even want to do all this trial! But willy-nilly I have to obey the orders ... >>

 

| Afternoon of 10 August 1244 - Jüterbog - Attila |

 

God, I understand it's the middle of August but we're still in East Germany, how the fuck can it get so hot?

Less than a month has passed since that day. I settled around the Elbe River (south of Jüterbog) so that I could have a place to drink and wash. During this month I managed to build myself a small DIY cottage, which is a studio apartment with a bed, a small table and a chair. I also made a small cabbage plantation (although I recently stole the seeds so I don't think they will grow that fast).

Although I almost always either hunt some rabbits or recognize edible berries. Of course, I do everything I can, not to get noticed, since I'm the main suspect in the city of multiple homicides.

Yet no sort of "police" ever came to look for me or ask me what happened, even in this game luck seems to exist.

The fact remains that I'm wasting my time here, I can't live like a savage forever.

I have to try some jobs to get some money. I didn't go directly to the city, but its surroundings, to not be easily recognized. In the end, I didn't find any work, they rejected me everywhere because almost everyone recognized me.

Some have asked me what the heck had happened that night. I invented an excuse by placing the blame on the guards who, upon entering the house to arrest my "family", were threatened to leave. So they killed them on the spot, while I escaped in time. Now they try to cover up everything.

It had become evening as I walked to my quarters.

I thought I was alone in front of my house, but apparently, I wasn't the only one.

A small gang of thugs had taken over my full-fledged house!

Someone noticed me and signalled to the others, from that small house (like clowns coming out of a small car) another 13 people came out. To count them all, 14 little shits were looking at me, which also intended to surround me.

After they formed a circle (which I was exactly in the centre) the more muscular one, who seemed to be their "boss", came forward and said: <<Aren't you Attila? That noble ass adopted by that family? You know we've been looking for you for a long time, but you were just nowhere to be found. So apparently you were here eh ... >>.

Well congratulations, excellent deduction, Sherlock Holmes of my dick. The fact remains that it was still a 14 against 1 and it would be clear to almost anyone that the clash should be avoided as much as possible.

So I answered, not being able to hold back the sarcasm: << I am honoured that you were looking for me respectable "Cavalier hooligan", but can I ask you the reason for your visit? >>

He made a scornful grimace:<<I see that in a situation like this you tend to make things worse eh? You don't have to give a shit about why we're here, you already know the answer ... >>

<< I repeat, respectable "Cavalier thug", I still don't understand the motivation. Maybe I have a "chicken" brain for not understanding why 14 thugs were occupying my house for no reason >>.

<<Well, idiot, soon you will find out. Go, guys! >>

The group:<<Now we will show you, asshole! >>.

The confrontation was inevitable ...

Four of them launched themselves at me. I took the first one I had within range (he was armed with a knife) by grabbing his face and planting it on the ground. Then I pushed the second one against the others. I saw that the one crushed to the ground, he seemed stunned, I took his knife and brutally cut his neck.

It was no longer scary to kill, it was "natural" to me now.

On the other hand, what was the difference between humans and animals? We all know that man considers himself more important because of his ingenuity, but this does not separate him from being an animal too ...

While the first was lying on the dead grass, I took the second and slaughtered it.

Everyone seemed speechless, within seconds two of their friends had died so horribly. After the other two realized they weren't winning, they started attacking me again, but with more caution.

From their eyes, it was clear that they were no longer sure of anything.

Since they no longer did rash actions, I had to take the initiative.

I took the hand of one of them, pulled him towards me and stuck the cortex of his heart, the latter was also armed.

The last one had walked away, yelling something at me (but I didn't give a damn).

Now that I had two knives that I could use however I wanted, I threw one at the bum. It narrowly dodged him, but he didn't expect that I would throw the second knife and pierce his skull ...

So, from a four against one, I was the only one standing and even armed.

The other 10 were left there stunned by what they saw, they were full of anger and I saw them dying to jump on me.

Ten to one would truly have been impossible. Yet, as if he were an angry King, the thug Cavalier stood in front of me and shouted: << You are good for being a jerk, far too good. There is a need for someone to stop this killer! >>

In response, I laughed: << Ahahhahaha! Wait, but since you were armed, it wasn't me you wanted to kill, was it? How does it work, that I can't kill you but you can? Try not to bullshit! Besides, what is supposed to stop me is you ?! Of course, you too can make beautiful jokes! >>.

It was gone, my opponent looked like a rhino ready to run over me.

What then happened ran towards me at full speed. To charge in this way it was evident that he did not know how to fight at all, but unlike my bull "brother", if he caught me he was more than dead.

I got strange adrenaline as if subconsciously I knew that this time I had to commit myself. I dodged his charge, yet he made it back to aim for me earlier than expected

I had to dodge again, but even with the adrenaline in my veins, I was a little tired. I had to close it there. In his third charge, now much slower than the first, I aimed and threw one of the two knives at his face.

Which had pierced his right eye. << AHHHHHHH, it hurts !!!! Damn you, bastard !! >>.

After a few seconds, he resumed running towards me, even after losing an eye. Now my victory was assured. This time I didn't dodge on purpose, I let his left arm take his mighty right hand. He exclaimed: << Now that I have you in my hand now I'll show you ahahahha! >>

<< As I always say, who laughs last laughs well! >>

In my right hand, I had the other blade. Seeing his right eye gone, he hadn't noticed the exact location of the weapon. I wasted no time in piercing his left eye as well. The grass was covered with a carpet of corpses and had turned red. At that point, the emergency released his grip, put his hands to his eyes, shouting: << I don't see! I don't see anything anymore! I'm blind AHHHHHHHHH! >>

That rhino, sure until recently, was overflowing with blood from his eyes.

It was a beautiful scene ...

Taking advantage of his blindness, I snuck up and with the first sign I had thrown at him I pierced his heart from behind his back.

Finally, the thug Cavalier started screaming, fell to the ground lifeless.

Everyone else had nothing but terror on their faces, everyone's legs were shaking.

I could understand their point of view, companions had died in front of their eyes and yet they could not help but witness the massacre.

Even though they didn't see it, I was exhausted. I couldn't go on any longer, I had to avoid finding all nine of them on me.

I decided to bluff with a speech: << Well ?! What's up?! Don't you face me now ?! And do well, these here were good for nothing! You've seen them too, haven't you ?! You are weak, this is because no one has ever taught you well how to live in this world correctly... >>.

After my words, there was a dead silence.

I resumed:<<Now you can try to challenge me, but I warn you that you will die, or run to your parents, like children who see the black man. Otherwise, there is a third option, all of you become my subordinates, don't worry I'm not like this lifeless asshole next to my feet. I'll show you what a decent criminal does ... >>.

They didn't seem very convinced, yet for a few minutes, I'll discuss what to do with each other. In the end, all of them bowed before me and begged me: << Oh Attila, please forgive us for the insult, let us the honour of being your subordinates! >>

<< If you stay with me I will show you how to live in this world! >>

I do not hide that it was an indescribable feeling ...

6