Volume 1 – Chapter 6 – A decisive meeting …
167 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

| Morning of August 20, 1244 - Berlin - Attila |

After the massacre two days ago, we finally arrived undisturbed in Berlin.

Before entering the city the carriage stopped.

The whole noble family got out and approached me and my subjects.

Noble Harm said, “Despite my suspicions about you, I'm glad I was wrong.

Thank you very much for defending us from those damned thieves. Here is your well-deserved reward>>

The fat man took the money he owed us from his bag of coins and handed it to us. He had given us the right amount.

After that the bald man resumed:<<Now that I have given you your wages, our paths divide us here. If you want you can go back to Jüterbog or you can stay in Berlin and watch the sword tournament and horse rides starting today>>

Now I understand why there is a lot of noise coming from the city, everyone is excited about these events.

I replied to the nobleman:<<Thanks again for choosing us, I wish you lots of fun and good luck>>

The noble, with a smile on his lips, got back into the carriage. After a few seconds, she left again, entering the city with Anna's hands who greeted us from the window.

A subordinate of mine told me:<<According to you boss, are the deaths of our companions worth the coins obtained?>>

I replied:<<Of course not, but we can't do anything about it. Unfortunately, it went like this, I'm sorry for them but they knew what they were getting into>>

He remained silent, suddenly another boy said:<<Do not think about it, at least now we have the money!>>perhaps he did not understand that his sentence was very out of place.

<< Come on, while we are here let's go and see how Berlin is made!>>I said.

The boys replied:<<Yes boss!>>

We entered the city and saw everyone excited. As we walked towards the centre I noticed that the city was not that developed after all.

It seems to have been founded only a few years ago.

It still had a lot of wooden buildings. Because then both the tournament and the joust are taking place.

Well, we'll find out sooner or later.

| Lunch of 20 August 1244 - Berlin - Attila |

After a stroll, not very interesting after all, we decided to go and eat in a tavern.

The place was full of people as if the whole city gathered in that place.

Eventually, we ordered a few meals and only after a long wait did we eat.

I would have given it 3 stars on TripAdvisor with a lot of bad reviews.

After leaving the club we told ourselves that at that point it would be cool to go and see these events, to discover the reasons.

My subordinates were not lively, thanks to the deaths of their comrades. It was clear that they were very sad.

We arrived in a large arena, surrounded by stands filled with people. We managed to get a seat for a while.

You could see that the arena was made for a carousel since it was in the shape of an elongated oval.

But the first event was the tournament of the knight's swordsmen.

From the scoreboard, it was clear that there would be 7 matches.

Important knights from all over the Holy Roman Empire participated, with their coats of arms on their armour.

Each of them had assistants who helped them arm themselves in their special tents.

At first, it was interesting but after a while, I lost interest and went to get a little something to eat and do my "needs".

Indeed, it was very strange that even in the Middle Ages they had a little something to eat as in our times.

After I finished it, I returned to my seat, just in time for the final of the tournament.

<< Attila, Attila!>>a female voice was calling me but I didn't know who.

Then he realized, Anna's family was sitting in the stand opposite mine. He greeted me from the distance along with his family.

I did not think that the noble Harm, after being one step away from death and saved by our hand, could change from a braggart to a person with a minimum of recognition.

Then, what seemed to be the announcer began to get excited:<<Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached the long-awaited final of the tournament! Cheer on our knights who have come this far!>>

The crowd began to make a kind of choir.

The announcer, who was a very, very hairy dwarf, continued:<<He who comes from Sicily, knight directly appointed by the Emperor: the noble Ferdinand Wenceslaus!>>

Thing? A knight appointed directly by the Emperor? So I have to be careful, from what I know he has always chosen to cover himself with talented people.

That person entered the arena with composure.

He was not very tall, with brown hair and a face with a diagonal scar on his nose.

He had a look of a person who had seen so many.

He didn't have heavy armour, he was almost naked (in terms of equipment).

His sword was long but it also seemed light, all of this was needed to have greater mobility with a greater range of action on the opponent.

The dwarf went on:<<His challenger is the best rider in Lausitz: Manfried Reimund!>>

A very tall person emerged, with blond hair, blue eyes and an enormously disproportionate build.

One was the antithesis of the other, the first focused on its position while the second on brute strength.

The clash began and the two knights began to fight while the crowd was divided into two supporters, which the fan Manfried was the largest (since the fighter came from Germany while the other from Sicily).

The battle was bloody but it was assumed that Ferdinand would win, given his agility despite his age.

<< The winner of the tournament is the noble Ferdinando Venceslao! Congratulations on your victory, here is your reward>>

The crowd began to shout:<<Ferdinando! Ferdinand!>>

Everyone in the grandstand was celebrating, even my subordinates who stopped having a long nose.

I took a look at the noble family, they too were celebrating.

Although, noble Harm beckoned me to come to him.

Before the joust began, I went alone to the noble family, I told the others that I would be back shortly.

As soon as I arrived in front of the family I said:<<Hi, we haven't seen each other for a long time! How are you?>>

The noble replied:<<Yes yes, very witty. I summoned you because the reward I granted you seemed too little for the commitment you have made and for the lives lost. So, since you were the one who stood out among your group, I want to give you a bigger reward>>

He saw me very suspicious and incredulous:<<Come and let me introduce you to a person who will change your life>>

With much hesitation, you followed him.

We were headed to one of the knights' tents until we arrived in front of a very important person: Ferdinand Wenceslaus!

<< Hi friend, I find you in shape or a great winner! Congratulations on the victory>>the fat man told him.

<< Health to you too noble Harm, thanks for your compliments. We haven't seen each other for more than five years now>>

The two gave each other a strong hug, apparently despite the social disparity they were great friends.

<< Listen Ferdinando, I remember that many years ago you told me that you were looking for a student. Well I think I've found one, are you still interested?>>

<< Well, I gave up looking for one for a few years now, but if you who are so scrupulous tell me you have found one then I trust. Where is it now?>>

<< Right behind me>>the noble Harm pointed to me with his hand.

<< Despite his appearance he is the leader of a group of thugs who improvised as an escort, accompanied me to Berlin with his cronies and managed to defend us even from a gang of more numerous thieves, managing to kill them all!>>

As I watched that scene, I thought it was an excellent opportunity. Coming in some way with the knight chosen by the Emperor was a way to get closer to him and to leave Germany.

I bent down and said:<<Pleased to meet you Cavalier Ferdinando Venceslao. My name is Attila, I am very honoured to make your acquaintance. I also offer you my congratulations for the victory, even if it was obvious>>

Ferdinando said to me:<<How come you say it was taken for granted?>>

<< Because, in addition to his great skills in combat, his opponent had bet everything on brute strength. While she had bet on his mobility, in fact, he hadn't dressed heavily on purpose to lighten your movements to be impregnable>>

He looked at me silently without saying anything for a while.

Then he got up and said:<<Congratulations, the excellent answer. After the rides, I will let you know whether to take you or not. I don't care where you come from, I'm quite a meritocrat. If you can do something then I'll take it. Having said that, see you later Attila>>

Ferdinando already dressed for the rides I leave us in his tent.

<< Don't worry Attila, I'm sure he'll take you. But try not to tarnish my name. I gave you this opportunity because you saved my life. So make sure you don't waste it!>>

<< I thank you from my heart, noble Harm, I never thought I would have this opportunity>>

Suddenly a message popped up in front of my face: Six hours over, now the viewer will turn off.

So I went back to reality.

4