Volume 3 – Chapter 1 – Unproductive meeting …
72 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

| Morning of October 20 - 1248 - Acre - Attila |

After about twenty days of travelling, we finally arrived near the port of Acre.

A city that has lost its great landscape thanks to a series of fortifications that surround it.

Historical insight: Built by the Egyptian Empire around 1500 BC. Acre, a small city, during the Crusades assumed a fundamental role as a base for troops and food supplies. After a long time, it will be reconquered by the Arabs after the end of the Crusades and the cessation of funding from the European states 

As our ships were approaching, a boat departing from the port of Acre arrived at us wondering who we are and how many we were.

Once they understood that the Emperor's fleet had arrived, they were very happy but also embarrassed.

They were for one reason, in particular, the place of Acre was too small to accommodate all the ships of the Emperor. However, there is talk of 150 ships and the city, despite certain importance, still had not managed to enlarge the already existing port.

The problem is that those ships, somehow, had to dock anyway.

The Emperor then consulted with his advisers, this time without calling me. The decision was to tie the ships together by ropes to form a huge naval blockade to allow everyone to get off everything.

Sure, I would have done it another way but honestly, I didn't really want to get involved in this matter. After a good twenty days of travel, the only thing I wanted to see was the city of Acre to see how it was made in those years.

But as usual, this joy was abruptly interrupted by the Emperor who ordered me to follow him.

Once again my beautiful trip is ruined.

The Emperor and his advisers intended to meet the head of the city and while they were going Malik told me to come.

We entered the castle of Acre where a large table with only two chairs awaited us. One for the Emperor and the other for another person.

That person's face was quite funny since it was bald and had a moustache (Imagine an egg with a moustache). He was a little taller than me (in-game) and was dressed in full armor.

When he saw us, he left his chair and hastened to bow before the Emperor.

<< Your Highness, it is an honor to have you here as Emperor Frederick II. I am Leonardo Bruni, the head of the city chosen by the Pope. I give you a warm welcome to Acre >>

The Emperor replied: << Thank you, I too am here at the behest of God and the Pope to support you. I would ask you to tell me how the war is proceeding against the infidels >>

Leonardo took some maps and invited the Emperor to take a seat at the table.

Federico called Malik to him and told us all to leave. At that moment it was clear that the talk was serious. It was no secret that the city had many Arab spies and that to reveal as little information as possible, the topics concerning the war were the most confidential of all.

The other councilors and I left, free to roam the city as we pleased.

Yet there was something wrong, I hadn't seen Alexios for a while. Perhaps he had gone to help the slaves who were unloading our supplies ashore.

Acre was very small, it only took me a few hours to turn it all around. I can say that I expected more, even if it was obvious that it was not at the same level as Palermo.

I saw the Emperor, who had returned from the castle with Malik, arguing with his advisers.

I approached and, waiting for them to finish speaking, I asked the Emperor: << Your Highness, do you happen to know how the war is going? >>

 

The Emperor, before answering me, looked around suspiciously and then approached me whispering in my ear: << The war is going very badly, it is a catastrophe >>

Nothing so surprising, given that before Frederick's arrival it was taken for granted that the European kingdoms were losing ground.

<< Since the situation is as it is, can't you meet the Sultan? >> I told him.

<< That was what I intended to do, I have already sent a messenger to the Sultan. We hope that at least he wants to meet me. That said, they told me you were gone for a while, and I don't want anything doing around me. I order you to go and help unload the stuff from the ships >>

<< I go immediately then Majesty >>

While I was going towards the port I thought that by now, to get on and off the stuff between the ships, I could not take it anymore.

| Afternoon of October 22 - 1248 - Acre - Attila |

This morning the messenger returned who had been sent by the Emperor two days ago.

The messenger told us that the Sultan was willing to talk to us in a tent in the strip of no man's land, or the piece of land that is created when two armies are opposed.

The Emperor gathered all his advisers, including me, and said: << Well, the Sultan has given his availability to the meeting. In a few minutes get ready and come with me to meet him, you too Attila >>

We all shouted: << Yes, Your Highness >>

Since I have known the Emperor, strangely enough, he has done nothing but involves me in important situations and plans. I am happy with this, I can also interfere in such a way as to "change" something. But despite this, I can hardly understand all this unexpected trust on his part.

After a few minutes, everyone was ready to go, including me.

We mounted the horses and left for the desert.

| Evening of October 22 - 1248 - Acre - Attila |

We arrived in front of a large white tent, guarded by Arab troops.

The guards came towards us once we dismounted to take care of the horses, they searched all of us, even Gaia.

Once they confiscated all our weapons they led us to the tent.

There, seated in his chair, was Sultan al-Malik al-Kamil.

He was as tall as the Emperor and had all the typical aspects of a Muslim. He wore a turban and had a strange beard, it was short all over his face except in the chin which was a cylinder. He wore a royal Arab dress and had sandals.

Next to him, there was another person, he was the interpreter. But that was not needed since the Emperor could speak Arabic.

<< I welcome you dear Frederick >> said the Sultan once he saw the Emperor.

<< Thank you for the time you can dedicate to us, Mr al-Kamil >> he replied.

That conversation was taking place in Arabic, yet I understood it. Well, I also knew why, since the game immediately translates what they say to me. But only I am capable of this, not the other councilors (except Nadir, who was Arab but did not come with us to the meeting).

While we were up, the two of them sat in their respective chairs and started talking.

The Emperor began: << We have been writing letters for years, discussing a lot of things. Honorable Sultan, why don't you want to reach an agreement to divide Jerusalem? >>

<< Dear Federico, before answering this question, I would like to ask you why he landed here in Acre to fight against me >>

<< I had no other choice, the Pope and the people forced me to come here for another crusade. I hope you have sensed that I have a great interest in your culture. But I remain Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and, like it or not, the Pope has always pressed me to make another crusade >>

<< I understand, well I also have the same problem. When I read your proposal, I do not hide the fact that it seems like a moment of agreement. But unfortunately, the people hate you to death. If I agreed with you I myself would be criticized and killed >>
<< I understand, at least we can do a week of respite? >>

<< Dear Federico, I respect you with all my heart. I believe that you are the only one worthy of respect among all Christians. But I'm not stupid, I don't know what you intend to do in a week, but once we're both forced to fight each other, at least I want to show you what I'm capable of >>

The Sultan is very smart.

In real life, the two reached an agreement without a fight, half of Jerusalem was in the hands of Christians and the other half in the hands of the Arabs. But even though many people celebrated, both the majority of the Arabs and the Christian church raged like never before. Nobody liked this deal with the enemy. The Pope also threw an interdict in the city of Jerusalem and desecrated the Emperor, who was a hypocrite.

I'm sure it's the difficulty of the game if the deal doesn't go through. But I am also sure that the Sultan thinks, that in one way or another, he has us in his grip.

<< I understand your reasons al-Kamil. Then I'll do the same too. Too bad we were unable to reach an agreement >>

<< Yes I know, it's a real shame >>

<< A lot of people will die in vain >>

<< I agree with you >>

The two lay in silence for a few seconds, then the Emperor said: << Thank you again for your time honorable al-Kamil, my advisers and I are going to return to Acre >>

<< Are my cooks preparing something, sure they don't want to have dinner with me? >>

<< Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I can't >>

<< I understand. Have a good trip then, and good luck in battle >>

<< I wish you the same >>

As we were returning to Acre the Emperor was silent.

Yet once we saw Acre from afar, we knew that hell would soon break loose.

In the dark of the night, a bunch of small Saracen ships were in the vicinity of our port, and they had fired on the ships.

They were the archers who shot flaming arrows on our ships.

And since all the ships were attached, the fire went from one ship to another.

While everyone in the city tried to put out the fire, entire ships burned.

From that moment on he understood why the Sultan did not want the agreement.

We are trapped.

3