Volume 5 – Chapter 2 – The Connecting Link…
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

|Morning of February 2– 1249 – Balcony of the Castle of Acre – Attila|

<<Long live the Emperor, long live the Kingdom of Jerusalem!>>

<<Death to the pagan Mongols!>> These were the main phrases that the Europhile crowd shouted after my speech.

It seemed to be witnessing not a typical conclusion of a rally, but rather a crowd so taken by my words that at that juncture it seemed to have lost all its calm and calmness in fervour and joy mixed with revenge, an uncontrolled euphoria.

But I have to admit that the feeling I had in those few minutes is indescribable. I felt too much pleasure when my words, the words of a person who had never written speeches of that type and not even remotely thought of making one, touched the hearts of all those people to such an extent.

I raised my hand in greeting and went back inside my castle.

Once I entered my royal room, I lay down on the bed and felt all the adrenaline I still had in my body. Perhaps this is what politicians and orators feel when after the initial tension of the speech they reach the pinnacle of fervour by stirring up those who listen to them.

How cool it was to make that speech, honestly I didn't think I'd make it, all the previous times were much more spontaneous, I did them without thinking too much about it. This time however it was decidedly more planned, but in the end: all's well that ends well, right?

While I was still gloating in bed, a very important question flashed through my mind, namely that my work had just begun.

The Kingdom of Jerusalem is underneath that mix of Arab tribes and the Ottomans so, in all fairness, I can use them as some shields. On the other hand, I am mainly interested in defending my kingdom, not theirs. They should know this too well, but they have no choice but to get help from me.

That said, this means that I can't sit still and do nothing, otherwise I really risk the Mongols reaching here. I think that even though the real Mongol Empire never made it to Jerusalem, due to “Nadia's warnings” and the difficulty of the game, they will definitely make it here.
I suppose I will have to go myself to ask for help from the Emperor himself, otherwise, you will not be credible at all, which is why I will write a letter.

 

Since I've already done most of the reforms I can afford to take a nice trip, destination: Constantinople.

I entered the throne room and shouted:<<Bruno!>>

After a few seconds, he ran in a hurry and said to me: <<Command my Majesty!>>

I said to him: <<Listen to me carefully, you have to do two things in particular with extreme urgency. The first is to send this letter to the Emperor of Constantinople urgently. The second is to prepare me as soon as possible a small escort and a carriage, with enough food for a journey to Constantinople>>

Bruno replied:<<Ahh… Certainly your Majesty! But why do you have to go up there?>>

<<Listen, if you don't want to be brutally killed by the Mongols, just do what I tell you>>

<<Obviously, I'll get to work immediately>> he replied running to do what I asked him.

 

|Morning of February 4th– 1249 – Small square of the castle of Acre – Attila|

Finally, everything is ready for my departure to the great city of Constantinople, I have guards, provisions, and a carriage (not at all royal).
I decided to leave with Rasha since she is among the few who could come in handy in the event of a fight, not because if I need to "vent" some "sexual desire" I would ask her no no no... maybe.

In any case, always best to keep her somewhere where I can see her, I don't trust her that much (since she was mostly sent to kill me).
Once all my ministers have been greeted, get inside the carriage.

The journey to Constantinople had begun.

Hello to all of you dear readers. Are you surprised by my pseudo-return? Me too. Although I think it doesn't make much difference to you whether I write or not. I know that I have been absent for many months (perhaps even a year) but I say it in all frankness without making excuses: I didn't have many ideas and every time I had them I couldn't find the slightest desire to write, not because I don't like it but because it is demanding. Before I was able to grind chapter after chapter, but this was because my mind was ONLY thinking about this and that everything came spontaneously. I mean, in the end I'm a young man who, like all of you, started writing in an "artistic" moment who, after thinking a bit, thought: Let's do it come on! You understand well that after months my gas ran out and the engine jammed. But the fact has always remained in my mind that: I had to write, I have to do it myself but above all for those people who genuinely wanted to see the continuation of our Attila's adventures. After all this I finally decided to resume writing with at least one chapter a month, so as to have time to make longer and more interesting chapters (yes, not like this one which seems decidedly short to me). I also wanted to tell you that in this way I will have time to correct the chapters more calmly and precisely. Before, I simply wrote, I had it translated and I did what he told me grammarly. But now I'm slightly (and I mean slightly) better at English. So I'll follow the same procedure but do a final personal review. This will make sure you see fewer errors. I really wanted to thank you for those who occasionally checked out if a new chapter was out or whoever hoped that one would come out sooner or later. I may have already told you, but this is the first story I've written seriously and I'm not a huge reader. So I write what I think without really having some sort of "guideline for a writer". I just hope to write a cute story without unintentional cringe. So, look forward to another chapter next month (or even sooner, who knows) and let me know as usual in the comments what you think and what I should improve. Thanks again to all of you!

0