Volume 6 – Elections…
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

|Evening of March 20th - 1249 - Temporary Throne Room of Acre Castle - Attila|

Once again, I resumed my position on the throne.

I suppose I had returned from Constantinople, and I needed to know what had happened while I was away from the game.

I found Bruno kneeling before me as if he were telling me something.

I checked my memories to understand what he was saying.He was warning me about some urgent letters that had arrived.

I asked him:<<Forgive me, Bruno, my mind was preoccupied with other thoughts. Could you kindly repeat what you told me before?>>

<<Certainly. I have two very important letters for you to read. The first is from Emperor John III, and the second is from Emperor Frederick II.>>

<<Please, give them to me.>>

Bruno handed me the letters, and I opened them instantly.

The first letter I read, written by Frederick II, read: "Greetings, dear King of Jerusalem! I wanted to inform you that... well, who am I kidding? How are you, Attila? I hope well, but reading this letter will probably make you feel even better. I've read the letter you sent me, and I agree with all your concerns expressed in it. I'll send you all the help possible, but remember that I can't send the entire army there... We've just returned from the crusade, and spring is approaching—a great time for war, but also a time when we need labour in the fields; otherwise, we'll be without food. Besides, I still have to keep some men in our territories; you know the world is unpredictable. So, the men who will arrive in a few weeks are a mix of my regular army, mercenaries, and volunteers. I can't give you an exact number, but it should be quite a few nonetheless. This is what I can offer you; I believe in you. I know that Emperor John III has also sent you some troops. Well, it seems you've made a good impression on him too. But remember, the games are over; now, the consequences of your actions will forever change the balance of power in our world. I hope you won't disappoint me, young man."

Never would I have thought that I would receive such an encouraging letter from Frederick II.

We're in a very realistic video game, but it's still an incomparable sensation.

The second letter I read, written by John III, said: "Greetings, King of Jerusalem Attila. I write this letter almost a week after your return to Acre. Speaking with my army officials, I have delved more deeply into our situation... I've discovered that there are various problems I'll have to solve in the future, but for now, I can send you about 15,000 men. You might think it's perhaps few to face the Mongols, and it is indeed so. But trust me, they are all well-trained men I have, along with some mercenaries who should arrive in a few weeks. I heard that Frederick II sent you troops, and they seem decidedly more than mine. So, since he has so much confidence in you, I'll do the same. Good luck, Attila."

It's incredible how, despite their public friendship, they continue to spy on each other.

Bruno, who was always there watching, said:<<It shows on your face, sire, that those were good news.>>

Well, it's time to inform our Arab friends of the news just received.

|Morning of March 2nd - 1249 - Carriage near Karakorum - Victoria|

What boredom, so much boredom.

I am incredibly bored, utterly bored.

Since my "husband" is sleeping, I have no one to talk to.

Thinking that someone like him has set Europe and the great Rus of Kiev on fire almost makes me smile at how absurd all of this is.

But then, how can he sleep in this ridiculous wooden carriage, where it's cold both day and night? Maybe it's those long hair, moustache, and beard of his that keep him warm.

But how is he dressed? Does he think it's appropriate attire for this supposedly very important event?

I decided to look out the window, and finally, I saw... huh? I exclaimed:<<So, this is the capital of the Mongol Empire? A vast expanse of tents?>>

Muttering, my husband replied:<<Come on, let me sleep...>>

<<Of course, it's absurd, I mean it's a place with nothing but tents, for God's sake.>>

<<But were you raised to complain constantly, or were you born a natural pain in the neck, HUH?! I TOLD YOU I HAVE AN EXTREMELY IMPORTANT EVENT, AND I NEED REST! WHAT DIDN'T YOU UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE PHRASE: LET ME SLEEP?!>>

I remained silent as he calmed down; he always does that. Every time I express my opinion, he almost always responds with these exact words.

After a while, he got up and said:<<See, YOU WOKE ME UP! Now that I know we're close to Karakorum, I can't fall back asleep.>>

After another short moment of silence, he said:<<By the way, you always complained that you were always on horseback, so I had a carriage prepared for you to make you more comfortable, given the length of the journey. But you always find something to complain about; it's really hard to keep up with you.>>

<<Well>>I replied:<<you're the one who decided arbitrarily to take me as your wife.>>

<<But you know your father offered you to me to prevent me from killing more people.>>

<<Well then, if I bother you so much, kill me!>>

<<Look, I'm seriously considering it. The only thing saving you is that you're good in bed.>>

<<Well, I already knew you were a pig who only thinks about sex.>>

<<And you're a whining idiot, I discovered that at a dear price for my patience.>>

After another awkward moment of silence, I asked him:<<So, have we arrived?>>

<<Yes, we have arrived. You know what? Stay here quietly. I'm getting off and going back on horseback. If the others see me in the carriage, they'll laugh at me.>>

He got off and left, leaving me alone.

Now I'm both angry and bored.

What did I do wrong to deserve all this?

|Morning of March 2nd - 1249 - Karakorum - Victoria|

Once inside the city, the carriage stopped, and Batu, my "husband," opened the carriage door, saying:<<Get down and follow me quietly. Make sure I don't look bad today; I will never forgive you.>>

<<Fine>> I said, sighing.

He and I, along with some guards, started walking.

I am here in Karakorum for the first time; after all, I wouldn't have a reason to be here normally.

As we walked, I looked around a bit and noticed that in this "city," there were no streets. It was just a sea of tents with a bit of space between them to pass through.

People continued to stare at me like a stranger, and I was, but their looks were blatantly negative. After all, I have a decent dress on, while they only have skins and rags.

Batu never told me why we had to come to Karakorum. I decided it was time to ask him again:<<Now that we're here, do you want to explain to me why we came?>>

<<I'll tell you later, actually, you'll see for yourself>> he replied.

After about twenty minutes, we arrived at what seemed to be a large open space with a wooden podium above.

<<Well, it's time>> Batu said, taking a deep breath.

|Morning of March 2nd - 1249 - Karakorum - Victoria|

Once we approached, some serving women approached us.

Batu exchanged a few words with them in his Mongolian language, and they kindly took me by the hand and then brought me to a seating area nearby with a perfect view.

After a while, a crowd began to gather, with those dressed elegantly (perhaps the nobles) sitting in the front row, while others stood ready to hear something.

In any case, I should stay quiet and see what happens.

|Morning of March 2nd - 1249 - Karakorum - Batu|

I can't believe it; I'm here at this moment.

I never thought I would be able to get here with my strength.

A man in the middle of the crowd took the horn and blew into it, creating a deafening but also solemn sound—the sound of order, obedience, and majesty.

A man stood up and shouted:<<LET THE KURULTAI BEGIN!>>

Then the other council elders also stood up, waiting for me to ascend the podium.

My moment has come; it's time to prove my worth.

I ascended the podium, and all eyes were fixed on me.

The pressure is killing me, but I must forge ahead. I shouted:<<I am Batu Khan! The one who has set Eastern Europe ablaze! I have subdued the Rus of Kiev, destroyed many castles of the Baltic peoples, and razed Zagreb and Scutari to the ground! The one standing here today, under the blue sky, under the gaze of the gods and spirits, to request, after the death of that wretched Güyük, the honourable members of the Kuriltai to elect me as the new Khan of Khans. TO BECOME THE GREAT KHAN!>>

The man blew the horn again, and I fell silent.

Usually, nobles and minor khans talk among themselves before voting, but this time something different happened.

They all stood up, and one of them, the eldest, stepped forward and said, "Batu Khan, the council has decided."

There must be something wrong; they decided all too quickly, without even consulting each other or asking questions I needed to answer publicly.

<<Batu Khan>> the elder continued:<<the kurultai has decided. Batu, you who have brought wealth and conquests to our entire empire, are officially vested as the claimant to the throne of the empire. You must overcome one final trial before becoming the actual Great Khan.>>

So, I am the Great Khan but not officially. First, I must overcome this sort of trial.

<<Honorable and elder one, I address you with all due respect. Tell me, then, what trial must I overcome to become the Great Khan?>>

He replied:<<As you have razed entire cities and castles in Europe, you must do the same with a certain kingdom next to us in Asia Minor: the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Once you destroy that kingdom, you can return here, where finally, under the blue sky, you will be crowned as the Greatest Great Khan ever after the great Genghis.>>

But why do they want to subject me to this simple and banal trial? I have already read reports about a certain Attila, to whom it was granted to reign like a puppet over those lands so sacred to both Catholics and Muslims.

However, I can't back down now; I'll do everything they ask to mark my name in history.

<<Do you accept this trial from us?>>said the elder.

It's now or never.

<<I, BATU KHAN, UNDER THE GREAT BLUE SKY AND BEFORE ALL THE MONGOL PEOPLE, DECLARE THAT I WILL RAZE THE ENTIRE KINGDOM OF JERUSALEM TO THE GROUND AND THUS BECOME THE NEW GREAT KHAN.>>

After my words, the horn sounded again, making this the most beautiful day of my life.

0