Chapter 172: Every Blessing, A Curse
3.9k 23 100
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 172: Every Blessing, A Curse

 

I hummed as I stared at the small wriggling worm in the small vat before me. Most humans would just see me gazing at an empty pool. That was because this worm was the size of a small strand of hair. Thanks to my eyesight, I could see it clear as a day. 

This little thing in the vat was the Mind Bore Parasite. It was essentially a worm that would burrow into the victim's brain, do no damage whatsoever, and could influence the thoughts of its host subtly.

Like that new cult leader, his doctrine was so pretty and well-designed that it wouldn’t give the angels much to complain about. The funny thing is that they think this whole new cult doctrine was created from that idiot’s mind. If it wasn’t obvious, his “inspirations” were just little whispers I sent into his mind. Little by little, I gave him a doctrine that would fit my designs. 

Right now, I can implant thoughts into everyone in the empire. No one could tell it was just me whispering thoughts into their minds. The silly little angels have been in the Empire for the past three months, and I know they are routinely scanning the cultists and other sympathetic groups for magical influence. I know they won’t find anything since there was nothing magical about this parasite. It was just a biological module that could send and receive transmissions from the Hive Mind.

You can’t find magical influence that isn't there, and what’s more, there was no way for the angels to intercept hive transmissions. They couldn’t even detect it, let alone intercept it. They would probably be able to detect that something like Nafas or Legiana was sending out broad-spectrum commands, but that was because they were sending out signals blanketing half the continent.

As things stand, Sarana’s internal spy network was utterly irrelevant. I have flooded the water supply of every region I could with the eggs of these parasites. I even have eyes in the Elven Forest, thanks to these parasites. So, her spy network was just for show at this point. I am sending most of them to scope out Western Voleria since there were signs of demons showing up. The Mugummans have already captured several demons, and they will be sending an emissary soon to discuss a defensive compact.

The whole compact thing was nonsense, considering they answered to Serchax, and Serchax answered to me.

But that was for the future…

Right now, I have other vile schemes planned. I grinned as I poured power into my hands and sent out a command I built into the little Mind Bore Parasite. The little hair-sized worm twitched, and then it suddenly grew to the size of a man’s thumb with a gnashing maw filled with tiny teeth.

Say hello to the Mind Flayer Parasite, if the Mind Bore Parasite was to influence the target then the Mind Flayer Parastie was to mind control the target. More accurately, it destroys parts of the target’s psyche and replaces it with something that would serve my designs.

What fun I will have when the time comes…

Well, it’s about time, so enough playing around. I have a meeting with Serchax and the Naga later. Serchax also has something to tell me which I am sure will be interesting.

With that, I sent out a mental command, and I ordered the parasite to self-destruct. It squirmed for a moment before it popped like an overripe fruit. I turned away from the pool and headed for the door on the way out I spotted Nafas speaking with some of the other lesser Queens. Nafas spotted me and gave me a bow. I nodded as I moved through the labyrinth that had become my base.

What had started as a humble little underground structure with two rooms was now the size of a small city, with winding tunnels and almost a million hive creatures scurrying about performing their tasks. I headed for one of the surface burrows, and when I emerged, I spread my wings, shooting straight into the sky.

Before I left for the coast I took the time to look at the city of Averlon. In just a year it has almost doubled in size. New districts have popped out beyond the walls. The once simple city now glowed with magic as its tall spires bore the runes of the distant past. This city now held more ether crystals than every other city in the region combined. It was a hub of magic, wealth, art and everything else between. 

Many were even calling Averlon the city of opportunity. Anyone could make it big in the capital if they had the talent and commitment. People who were once commoners could now sit at the table with nobles thanks to their abilities. Merit was what counted the new empire. Strength will always be rewarded. The Empire must be strong, or the vultures will rip it apart. The people in this city knew what life was like before the Empire. So, every one of them commits themselves to the strengthening of this Empire.

Our renown has spread all over the world. Even Divonian emissaries have arrived bearing gifts for the Empress. The emissaries were nobles sent by the emperor to an empress of a rising superpower. Divonia was once the strongest nation in the world, now it is in decline. Corruption was rampant, and poverty was out of control. The elite drink and fornicate to their heart's content while the poor suffer. The only thing the two extremes have in common is that they are both being swayed by demons.

If you wanted pleasure beyond imagining, then the denizens of the Lust Ring’s perfumed halls could provide. If you wanted wealth and power, the Rings of Avarice, Envy and Pride would happily offer their assistance.

If you were poor and desperate, then perhaps the Rings could offer you release from your pain. Perhaps a poor florist could be promised a better future for the price of his best flower, only problem was that the flower in question was not one of his stock. It was his daughter’s soul.  

Honestly, the demons seemed like my kind of people. If only the angel’s didn’t have a stick up their arse I would definitely work with some of the Rings if I could.

Well not much about to be done about it. That was a consideration for later. With that I shot towards the coastline. I accelerated until I reached my top speed, and then I tucked in my wings and released a burst of ether behind me to propel me even faster. There was a jerk and crack as I accelerated. Cecilia mentioned that when I do this this booming sound will sound out when I go past a certain speed. Not sure why it does that, but it was kind of cool.

It took less than fifteen minutes for me to reach the water. I soared across the sea until I reached the Azure Sea. I just turned a week of travel into an hour trip. When I reached the ether-filled waters I dived down into the sea at full speed. I didn’t want to swim more than I had to since I moved much quicker by flying.

Once I got underwater I started swimming down towards Serchax’s palace. This didn’t take long either and soon I was at her underwater palace. The nearby Naga all bowed as they lowered their weapons in deference. I headed through the palace until I eventually found Serchax waiting for me. Her long serpentine body swam towards me, her glowing eyes eyed me eagerly and the eye on her forehead glowed with power as she peered into the future.

“Hello my Lord, thank you for coming to see me today.” Serchax said as she slithered closer.

“So how goes your studies?” I asked as I referenced the knowledge I gave her to work on her seer abilities.

“Progress is slow but there is something you should see.” Serchax said as she turned and the eye on her forehead glowed before showing a projection.

The projection showed a scene of demons pouring into what looked to be the capital of Divonia. But the images kept shifting from demons to members of my hive and back again. 

“Divonia will burn if my visions are to be believed,” Serchax said eagerly.

“You seem excited.” I mused as I stared at her.

“Oh yes master, I have hated Divonia for so long. Right now as we speak my forces raid the Merchant Princes and weaken Divonian supply lines.” Serchax said with a malicious laugh. 

“I thought the Merchant Princes weren't getting along with the Divonians?” I asked and Serchax just laughed in response.

“Oh they aren’t but trade must flow, neither side is self-sufficient, unlike your Empire. Corruption at the highest levels of power has seen to that. So they argue, bicker but they still trade. Or at least they try to.” Serchax said with a malicious laugh.

“The more desperate the Divonians become, the more they will fall to demons. You mentioned that you have your eyes on the Eastern Voleria, I am merely lowering the chance of any northern intervention.” Serchax said and I nodded in appreciation.

“Good, nice to see servants with initiative.” I said, and Serchax gave me a bow in response.

“Of course my lord, also the Drowned Admiral has also started raiding Divonian shipping lanes.” Serchax said.

“I heard but they are ignoring my ships.” I said.

“Well the Drowned Admiral is not nearly foolish enough to pick a fight with an ancient. Furthermore, her quarrel is with Divonia, not with you. As they say, vengeance is a dish best served cold. Divonia is slowly being strangled from all directions and the Seraphim are scrambling to try to save it.” Serchax said.

“Yes, on that note I have another assignment.” I said and Serchax paused as she looked at me intently, clearly eagerly awaiting my commands. Ah, it’s so refreshing to work with a Firstborn Loyalist, not many of them left nowadays.

“Divonian refugees are pouring into the Valley of Plenty and many are running for Eastern Voleria. I want the Mugummans to attack them.” I said and Serchax tilted her head at those words.

“May I ask why? If you wish to utilise them why attack them?” Serchax asked.

“So when we sign our treaty of alliance, if I take over Eastern Voleria the Mugmmans have no choice but to leave the region alone or risk war with me. Well, it’s not really a risk since it will be staged but you get the point.” I said and Serchax’s eyes widened in understanding.

“Very cunning my lord, you will conquer half a continent with a few sheets of parchment.” Serchax replied.

“Exactly, never pay more than you have to. What’s more, since it's a humanitarian effort, the Seraphim can’t complain.” I said.

“Clever.” Serchax said with an appreciative nod.

“Now then there is something else you wanted to talk to me about?” I asked.

“Yes, my lord. I have been contacted by the Ars Goetia, they wish to discuss something with you.” Serchax said and I paused at those words.

The Ars Goetia were a group of high-level demons that resided primarily within the Ring of Greed in hell. The Ars Goetia were also led at least in part by the Arch Demon Alastor who I suspect is my “friend down under”. Huh I was wondering if all the demonic chaos that was happening in Divonia was him trying to buy me some breathing room…

Looks like I’ll find out soon…

 

◦◦,`°.✽✦✽.♚.✽✦✽.°`,◦◦

 

Jarom staggered along the shaking deck as he rushed towards the listing mast. He could barely see through this cursed fog as he heard the sounds of those spell cannons firing nearby. He could see other sailors trying to stabilize the shredded mast as they grabbed onto the ropes. If the mast came down they were dead in the water and if they were stranded the Drowned Admiral would kill them all.

The Drowned Admiral’s hatred for Divonia was legendary. Jarom had thought that with the angels now starting to guard Divonia the seas would be safer. 

But as the old saying goes, “for every blessing, a curse”.

Jarom held on the slick wet ropes as it slipped perilously along his bare palms. He screamed in exertion and terror as he desperately held on. He screamed in pain as the rope sheared the skin from his palms. 

“HOLD IT! DON’T LET IT FALL!” Jarom heard the captain call from atop the deck. Jarom looked up and could barely make out the Captain and the first mate atop the command deck.

Then he froze when he saw a figure behind them through the mist. The figure was wearing this large wide-brimmed hat, and he could see they had this large mane of puffy hair. The figure raised a sabre and hacked down the first mate before immediately impaling the captain. 

He watched as the Captain’s body slumped to the floor. When the figure shifted, he felt his blood turn to ice when he saw a glowing green eye staring at him.

Then he blinked.

The next moment, he saw his vision filled with a horrifying visage. Half of it was relatively mundane, it was just a humanoid face that had goat-like traits. The other half was a rotted skull filled with wriggling maggots. Within the empty eye socket was that same green glow from before. 

“Hello little lamb.” the creature said with a low cackle.

Then he saw a silver flash, he turned to his see it had swung its sword and the mast had been cut in two. As the mast fell he watched as one sailor screamed as the mast crushed him into a pulp. The entire ship listed as the mast slammed into the deck pulling the ship off balance. Then from the fog Jarom saw this large shape appear. He felt his knees grow weak as he saw that it was a ship that was twisted into a grotesque humanoid shape. He could see writhing corpses stuffed into the hull, each body squirming and wailing as they tried to escape.

Jarom stiffly turned to look back at the creature before him. 

“Who are you?” Jarom whimpered as the sabre slowly crept closer to his neck.

“A forgotten nightmare. I remember telling you Divonians, I will return and when I do, death is coming with me.” the creature said as the sabre pressed against his neck and he felt the blade draw blood.

“All of you owe me a debt, and I intend to collect.” the creature said as the blade twitched. Jarom gurgled as he felt the blade cut into his neck. He could feel the blood pooling up his throat and he saw his vision swim.

“You little lambs have no idea what's about to happen. So many little sheep to count but what’s the point? You all will just end up slaughtered anyway.” the creature said as it tore the blade free and Jarom felt his legs give out. But as he fell the creature grabbed him by the scruff of the neck.

As Jarom felt his life fade along his dripping blood.

“Sleep…” the creature whispered.

 

Do you know what is the dreamer’s lie? 

Every nightmare has an end…

100