In another world – 1
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While he was chatting with Hiro, Keiko arrived with bag on hand.

Scowling at his wife, Hiro complained at how slow she was at buying their dinner.

"Keiko, Tesshi's hungry. What took you so long?"

Keiko rolled her eyes.

"You should've just told him to eat first."

She then looked at him.

"Tesshi, you didn't have to wait for us. Go on, have your dinner first."

But he, 'Tetsushi', shook his head.

"It's okay mother. Actually, father already told me to eat ahead as well, but I wanted to eat with you and father..."

Keiko paused, and looked at her husband.

Hiro threw a look of superiority at her.

Keiko scrunched up her eyebrows, and threw the rice ball to her husband.

"Ow! This woman..."

Ignoring the cursing old man, Keiko brought out a cup of soup, warm and ready to eat.

"Really? Just a plain rice ball? It isn't even wrapped in seaweed!"

"You said to be quick, so I just took whatever."

"It's not even heated!"

"Heating will take too much time."

"But yours is all hot!"

"Mine's a soup, silly. Of course it needs to be heated."

Unable to win against Keiko, Hiro raised his hands in defeat, and started to unwrap his meal.

Meanwhile, 'Tetsushi' took the meal tray to his lap.

It was thin rice gruel.

As he hadn't eaten anything for the past two weeks, the hospital prepared soft foods for him in order for his stomach to recover first.

Once Keiko and Hiro were ready, the two of them looked at 'Tetsushi'.

'Tetsushi' relied on the memories in his mind.

"Itadakimasu."

---

'Tetsushi' insisted that Hiro leave with Keiko, even though it was Hiro's turn to be this night's watcher.

"I'm fine now father. If an emergency happens, I can always call the nurse."

But Hiro was stubborn, even going as far as to threaten 'Tetsushi' with smoking a whole pack of cigarettes at home if he wasn't allowed to be his watcher.

Even Keiko was trying to persuade 'Tetsushi' in allowing Hiro to stay for the night.

Unable to find a more convincing reason to decline, 'Tetsushi' relented.

"But you should at least drive mother home. You can also take this as an opportunity to eat a heavier meal if you want."

As a final counterattack, 'Tetsushi' added this request to his father.

Since the request seemed reasonable to him, Hiro accepted and sent Keiko home.

Finally alone, 'Tetsushi' started to look back at what happened to him.

---

His last memory was of him sleeping on the cart along the road to Namaio.

But when he woke up, he was greeted by an unfamiliar ceiling.

Confused at the situation, he looked at his surroundings.

To his right was a window, with the sun shining through.

He can see blue sky outside, with trees in the foreground.

Behind the trees, however, were tall, thin structures piercing up the sky.

Skyscrapers, popped in his mind.

Ignoring the uncomfortable feeling, he then turned his head to the left.

He saw a table.

On top of it was a vase of flowers, as well as a box of cake.

The box was opened, with two slices of cake left.

Strawberry shortcakes...

More foreign words showed up in his mind.

He then propped himself up, where he noticed an old man staring at the door.

Unable to hold himself, he asked the old man some questions.

"Um, sir? Where am I? Who are you?"

Hearing his questions, the old man looked at him, alarmed.

Sensing that something was wrong, he wanted to apologize, but the old man excused himself and went out of the door.

Getting more confused by the minute, he tried to lift himself out of the bed, but a bout of fatigue hit him.

Wait, why did I tire out so quickly?

He let himself down on the bed, and checked himself.

On his right arm was attached a tube, connecting him to a cylindrical looking bag to his upper right.

Oh, I didn't notice that...

Although it was his first time seeing the apparatus, he was confused as to why he knew immediately what the apparatus was, and what it meant to have it on his body.

...Am I in a hospital?

The door once again opened.

He looked at the door, and saw the old man enter, along with a young woman and two middle aged men.

The three newcomers were in white, with the two middle aged men in a coat.

A nurse and two doctors...

After letting the newcomers in, the old man looked at him, paused for a moment, and decided to go outside.

On the other hand, one of the doctors went to his side and checked an apparatus that he cannot see, talking to the nurse about things he didn't understand.

The other doctor looked at him and asked some questions.

"Do you know your name?"

Asked with that question, he opened his mouth to answer.

"Of course, I am... I... "

Agitated, he tried to remember his name.

But nothing comes to mind.

---

After being calmed down and asked other questions, the doctor finally explained his condition.

A special type of amnesia...

A part of him was unconvinced.

I still remember the orphanage I grew up in, the old priest and nuns who ran it, as well as the children who I grew up with.

I recall being an apprentice under Master Lucas, as well as being an assistant under Master Ark.

My mind still remembers how to tan a leather, as well as how to extract usable leather from monster carcasses.

How can I be called an amnesiac?

Yet, a part of him was confused.

But I have memories of things I do not know of.

I know what a skyscraper is.

I know what a strawberry shortcake is.

I know that I am in a hospital, and that doctors and nurses are currently attending to my needs.

I can even read kanji, something I didn't learn back in the orphanage!

Rather than losing memories, I got new ones!

But he still cannot remember his name.

Why? Of all things to forget, why forget my name?

As his thoughts continued to churn, he didn't notice the doctors leave.

"Um, hello there."

His thinking interrupted, he looked at the source of the voice.

The old woman looked apologetic, but continued regardless.

"Oh, I'm sorry for entering. Um, can we have a talk? I, I'm your mother, Fujiwara Keiko."

---

From Keiko, he heard that he was called 'Tetsushi', shortened to 'Tesshi'.

The woman introduced her husband as well, Hiro, who was the old man he saw when he first woke up.

Together, they were Tetsushi's parents.

After that short introduction, she then talked about who Tetsushi was, what he did prior to the accident, and shared some stories regarding her son that were most memorable to her.

In about an hour, Hiro arrived, bringing with him photographs.

With photographs on hand, he was able to further visualize the stories Keiko and Hiro were sharing.

"This was your sports meet-up in 6th grade. This was you in the middle, when you guys won the 4-man relay race..."

"Ahaha, I remember this! We went to the beach on your 3rd year of middle school. It took you so many times to hit the watermelon!"

"Ah, do you remember this girl in the picture? She was your first girlfriend. I believe her name was..."

"In this picture, you were..."

"Oh, this was when your father..."

"Ah, I miss this, you were a baby back then..."

As Keiko introduced each picture, he got to know more about Tetsushi's life before the accident.

He was also able to see what Tetsushi looked like.

Black hair, dark brown eyes, above average looks, and an average height.

Apparently, Tetsushi got his looks from Keiko, who was also the looker when she was younger, but got his height from his Hiro, who was even shorter than Tetsushi.

He listened as the two couple shared how the two met each other, how Hiro wooed Keiko, and how the two finally got married

He watched as the two people recalled memories of a time gone by, of moments that marked their lives.

Times that the two had with their son, Tetsushi.

He laughed at the funny memories, felt sad at the gloomier ones, and was amused at the bickering of the couple.

But he knew that he was not Tetsushi.

0