Chapter 36: Cursed Luck
4.5k 17 219
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘Semi, any progress?’

Haruki checked up on Semiramis as he neared his house. Just the thought of Semiramis sneaking through the city made him chuckle. The former queen had her work cut out after making a minor mistake.

“My doves don’t see him now. I might have shaken Berserker off.”

‘Head home once you’re sure.’

Illyasviel wasn’t crazy enough to attack someone in the residential area. Even if she did, Archer was there to buy time until Saber arrived.

“My master, that boy. What is his relationship with Berserker and his master?”

‘Just know that Berserker’s master and Shirou are like siblings.’

“T-That. Berserker won’t leave us alone now… Shirou is under my poison. Only I can cure it.”

‘Hold up. We’re screwed, aren’t we? None of us will live if Heracles becomes serious.’

“My master… is he that strong? …We have King Arthur now.”

‘The summoning failed… I couldn’t do it, Semi. That Avalon turned out to be fake.’

Semiramis fell silent. Haruki chuckled, barely stopping himself from laughing out loud. Semiramis was truly scared. Anyone would be scared of being chased by Berserker, who could crush Semiramis and Haruki with his bare hands.

“I wasn’t incompetent just so you know. Berserker’s master laid out a perfect trap inside the door…”

‘I know. You used to be a Queen. This type of work isn’t your specialty.’

“My master understands me. I knew we were destined to have great compatibility after I saw you.”

‘Heh. Says the woman who wanted to brainwash me into her puppet.’

“...I never thought of that. Ah, my master. My familiars spotted Berserker. He is leaping through the air… in Ryuudou Temple’s direction.”

Haruki stopped in his tracks.

‘How did Illya know?’

Medea wasn’t in any state to fight. Even if she had magical energy, the most she could do was escape.

‘Thank goodness I summoned Saber.’

“You just said you couldn’t summon Saber… you liar.”

‘I was teasing you. Sheesh, don’t be mad. I’ll return to support Saber. You go home and tell Rin to come with Archer.’

“You don’t want me to fight?” she asked, a hint of doubt in her voice.

‘It’s not the time to show off my three beautiful Heroic Spirits.’

Her combat ability was unremarkable outside of her domain. Heracles might be weak to her poison due to his legends. One or two deaths by Semiramis’s poison would make him immune to every poison. Her Hanging Gardens and her strategies served his needs more than her strength.

‘Time to convey the news to Artoria and Medea.’

The telepathy didn’t work with Artoria. She had formed a contract with the World before her death. She was alive with a physical body and will be until she obtains the grail. He couldn’t share his magical energy with her through the spiritual link or talk to her through telepathy. It was the only disadvantage of summoning one of the strongest servants.

‘Medea, Berserker is headed your way.’

“Master! B-Berserker? I’m in no condition to fight.”

He cursed his past self who left Medea without mana.

‘Leave the area with Artoria.’

“Master, our plan for Grail…”

‘You’re more important to me. We can retake the place back tomorrow.’

The rules of the Holy Grail War were simple. No fights were allowed during the day. Though many masters broke it to gain the upper hand, but Illyasviel wasn’t one of them.

‘Understood.’

He turned around and sprinted in the Ryuudou Temple’s direction. Passing through the streets, he came across a street without any lights. He cursed his luck when he spotted his archnemesis standing there beside a woman with long purple hair.

Shinji and Rider.

Rider held a girl in a school uniform by her neck. She opened her mouth and sank her teeth in the girl’s nape.

‘Wasn’t she supposed to hunt in the shopping district’s alleys?’

Haruki was a little confused. Did Shinji get so desperate that he started hunting here instead of waiting for people to pass in the dead alleys?

‘Is this the result of choosing a spear over the sword?’ Haruki thought with a bitter smile. Lancers always got the short end of the stick in Nasuverse.

Rider licked the blood from her lips and looked at Haruki. Shinji turned around and his eyes widened a bit. His face twisted before an ecstatic smile flashed on his face.

‘Medea, take Artoria and come to me. I need a hand here.’

Semiramis’s location was unknown. Ryuudou Temple was a few moments from here with Medea’s speed.

“Did you meet Berserker?” Medea asked, her voice shaking in absolute horror. “Use your command spell and summon us.”

‘No. I can manage for a few minutes.’

He could get through this situation without wasting a command.

“Ugh! I’m coming.”

Shinji slipped a hand into his pocket while he held an ancient-looking Grimoire in his other hand. “Hayashi. Oh, Hayashi. I was hoping I’d run into your sorry ass. Fate brought us together in the end.”

Haruki shook his head in response. Rider quietly made her victim lean against the wall. As she stood, two chains materialized in her hands.

Shinji flipped open the Grimoire. The pages flipped on their own as the book glowed with a color similar to Rider’s hair. “Still cocky,  huh. You see this woman. She is my servant. A supernatural spirit. She can crush a pathetic creature like you with her fingers.”

“So boring,” Haruki said with a shrug. “See you later.”

He turned around and dashed into another street. Medusa possessed C-Rank agility in her weakened state. He wasn’t confident of outrunning her, yet he possessed one advantage—he grew up in these streets. Buying two or three minutes was nothing much if he used everything to his advantage. As he sprinted, his body grew hot. The dragon blood in his veins boiled, craving battle. He ignored the impulses and kept taking turns.

'He is such a pain in the ass like his old man.'

He was sure Zouken was observing everything through his insect familiar's eyes.

'Did I use all my luck in that gacha pull?'

Favorite if you liked it!

219