Chapter 38: Doubts
4.5k 6 217
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the end of the stairs leading into the Ryuudou Temple, Artoria stood, her face carrying a solemn expression. The wind blew past her cheeks, gently brushing her hair. The choice she made moments ago still lingered in her mind. Caster had ordered her to retreat in desperation. Of course, she wanted to retreat and help her Master against Rider. But she had already sensed Berserker quickly approaching the temple. Caster’s magical energy was low, so Artoria stayed back to cover Caster's retreat. Berserker didn’t change direction when Medea departed, making her relieved about her choice.

‘Master might get angry.’

He had shown her respect, even returning her Avalon. However, she felt like she made the right decision this time. Without anyone in the area, she could go all out against Heracles with her Excalibur. The exceptional regeneration provided by Avalon will allow her to show her true power and slowly chip away at his twelve lives. Unless Heracles could destroy her brain in one strike, she will be victorious. In fact, the feeling of Avalon and her boosted parameters gave her a sense of invincibility.

‘A dragon’s magical energy.’

It was then the Greek Hero, whose fame was on par with her, landed on the stairs. A web of cracks spread under his bare feet. His colossal figure wore a single gladiator skirt. Each muscle on his body was covered in lead, bulging with monstrous strength.

Even Artoria was put off by the madness emanating from his bloodshot eyes. He was a caged beast ready to unleash his fury on his foes.

‘It’ll be a hard fight.’

Artoria narrowed her eyes at the white-haired girl sitting on Berserker’s shoulder. She could sense the homunculus magical energy was above Haruki.

‘Einzbern’s homunculus.’

The girl looked similar to the daughter of her old friend, Irisviel Von Einzbern. But she met the kid a decade ago. The little girl would have become a young woman by now, or so she imagined. The advanced homunculus of the Einzbern appeared close to humans, yet none of them possessed emotions. Irisviel was an exception since Einzbern prepared her as a Lesser Grail.

‘Kiritsugu never told me his daughter’s name.’

Artoria summoned her Noble Phantasm Excalibur. An invisible sword appeared in her hand, sheathed by a barrier of super-high pressure air. Invisible Air, the Magecraft Merlin taught her. After all, Excalibur was known to all servants in the Throne of Heroes and modern mages.

Illyasviel hopped down Heracles’ shoulder and tilted her head. “Are you Saber? Where are Assassin and her master?”

Saber’s dignified aura, her posture, and her ancient armor reminded Illyasviel of the knights from fairy tales. A servant from the Assassin-class will never opt for a duel against someone of Berserker’s level. His aura alone could crush a weaker servant’s fighting spirit, let alone an Assassin’s.

“Assassin?” Saber questioned. “There is no Assassin here.”

“You’re alone here then?”

Saber nodded since her words carried no lies. She was curious about the reason for these two hunting down her Master, but she didn’t let it show on her face.

“I’m not here to fight you,” Illyasviel said as she cheerfully climbed the stairs. “You can return to whoever your Master is.”

Artoria could swing her sword and murder Illyasviel, but such tactics weren’t chivalrous. More importantly, she sensed no fighting intent from either of them as though their goal was simply finding Haruki.

Artoria gripped her sword. “You won’t find anyone inside.”

“I must check,” Illyasviel replied, her voice determined. “They can’t escape what’s coming for them. Berserker, with me!”

As Heracles strode past her, Artoria turned around. Heracles’s back was wide open, but Artoria knew better. The moment she makes any movement, Heracles will strike back.

“What did Assassin do?” Artoria asked.

“He poisoned Shirou,” Illyasviel said as she prepared her magical bird familiars and sent them to scout the place. “My brother.”

She put away Excalibur, grim at the discovery. She didn’t completely believe Berserker as it could be a lie to plant seeds of discord between her and Haruki. There was one thing that irked her.

‘Did he poison other masters and force them to surrender their servants?’

A single doubt slipped into her heart. Was he similar to her previous master who used the most underhanded tactics to assassinate masters? Her hatred for Kiritsugu still remained for he destroyed her chance of fulfilling her wish. All she wished was to stop her past self from pulling out the Caliburn. If only some more worthy king led the kingdom, Merlin's prophecy would never come true and her empire would never face a brutal end. If she wasn't king, the whole rebellion would have never started.

‘Mordred.’

The memories of her “son” were fresh in her mind.

With a frown, she descended the stairs to the temple her master ordered her to protect and wandered in search of her master.

Favorite if you liked it!

217