Chapter ~ 4#
43 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been roughly two months since I first arrived and found Lurk village. The locals have started to refer to me as Mec Dracous. I managed to make a modest living with various odd jobs around. Mostly working as a guard when asked by the locals. And hunting for the more bountiful income thanks to some of the rare local wildlife. Apparently the local hunters swap guard roles in order to make sure no one ends up hunting more than their share here. I managed to learn a bit more. Apparently there are stories of what these people call Shifted Ones. Brought to the world from outside in order to aid it. Though the stories tend to vary; which honestly was a bit concerning. Mostly because without proper leads I can't track anything that might help me. It also leaves me in the dark of what would happen if I was found out to be a Shifted One. 

One of the more notable stories of Shifted Ones is the son of Vita. Who sacrificed himself, by letting his blood drip into the land to give it new life. And letting his red blood drip into the earth so that it was given new green life that grew unlike before. The story also goes that the same person let his blood stain the waters and that created healing potions. Though that’s roughly what I was able to get and I'm a bit skeptical of those. There’s also a story of the daughter of Aspectu; who was said to have been able to read the knowledge of the world; and recorded said knowledge into a tome that holds the answer to any question one can think of. That one I'm skeptical about; mostly because if such a thing did exist it’s either locked away far beyond conventional reach; or it’s a lie used to draw out certain individuals. 

One day while I was on guard duty I was sitting in a small wooden tower looking out. I think the hardest part, when it comes to guard work. Even in this world you are trying to keep yourself awake and focused on not only yourself but your surroundings. Unlike in my previous world I couldn't go and get a cup of coffee or red bull to shock my system with caffeine. Most of the time I try to keep my mind busy by thinking of various methods of escape into the local wilderness if the need ever arises. After all life by nature and design can flip from being open and inviting to silent and deadly. Or examining the surroundings to see if there were any weak points that needed to be looked at. I was looking at the enclosed farming area thinking of such things when I noticed something. Two people, one human male and the other a beast kin woman. They seemed to be walking through the recently planted crops. 

My eyes never left them as I watched them both extend their hands out. They seemed focused on something in front of them. And that’s when I saw it, before their outstretched hands I saw something slowly materialize from the air and began to condense in front of them. Small balls of water slowly formed before them about the size of one's chest. Watching magic at work like that was eye catching; the way the water seemed to condense while still floating in the air before slowly forming together. The way it seemed to flow before the caster as though it was gentle and simply there.. The two began walking through the crops seeming to use the balls of water they formed to water the local plants. The way the two in question were dressed seemed a bit odd to me. Mostly because they seemed to wear ragged clothing. It wouldn't surprise me that this world has slaves; that’s a constant through our history no matter where you are. Though I didn't expect to see them in a rural setting like this. Maybe they're owned by the local lord since they're using their magic to water the crops. 

At the end of my guard shift I went down to the local pub. Where I had a small drink and some food. Hard to believe just a few weeks ago I was a guy running around the woods with only rags on myself. I did hear a few interesting rumors though as I sat in the pub and listened. One of the few merchants that came to visit mentioned something about a contest held in the city of Abarson. Apparently the city holds a contest every year much like a festival. The way he talked about it made it seem like a fighting tournament. Only difference is instead of an individual this one works in teams. What tempted me the most was that I might be able to learn more at the capitol. I don't assume a place with this type of setting has public libraries. But I might be able to learn a few things there. Though going there means I’m also running head first into a location I have no idea about. 

There’s also the issue of needing a team of at least two to try and not arouse suspicion. Though I could go to the city whenever by myself. It would be best to go when it’s active. Sense it would allow my new face to blend into other new faces. The festival wasn't for another few months so I had time to think. Maybe I could get the local lord to sell me one of his magic using slaves. Since I have the paladin class I should take the front. I’ve also got the artificer class, which I have no idea how it works. During the days I’m allowed to hunt I would sometimes come back to town empty handed. Mostly because I ended up spending the day so focused on figuring out the system before me that I would forget. 

The days of hunger weren't in vain though. I figured out a few things in the world and how parts of it work. For example it turns out Paladin class can is an evolved form of Soldier class which is an evolved form of Guard class. The paladin class offers basic swordsmanship thanks to the title ‘Duelist’ and that’s it along with certain resistance though I’m still trying to figure that out. Mostly how to not look like a jackass when fighting with a weapon I’ve never used before. Up till this point I had been going off on instinct whenever it came to fighting with this weapon. I guess the class was affecting my instinct a little which kind of scares me. Mostly because it makes me feel like a puppet or some kind of programmed doll. 

The artificer class was a different story. In short it’s the class that allows me to use magic. Though the magic it officers is… weird to say the least. For example the healing touch I used on my leg after that furry snake was from the paladin class. The artificer class had.

{ Mechanus Eye } 

Which is what I’m guessing is allowing my eyes and glasses to view stats. Though I noticed something weird that’s a little off putting. The numbers on my arm grew. 

{ Mind ~ 22 }

{ Body ~ 28 }

{ Soul ~ 18 } 

The growing numbers weren't my concern. What concerned me was the fact that everyone had those numbers on their arms. And yet didn't seem to notice them. Heck from the difference in numbers alone it seems like I’m abnormal. For example the standard Body score that’s noticed among the people is twenty. The mind seems to be fifteen. And the soul score is twenty. There are some slight deviations though the margin seems to mostly be two or three between the people of this town. I haven't asked about it mostly because saying ‘hey what do these numbers mean?’ While pointing to my arm makes me sound like a crazy person; at least to me. 

From my rough guess Mind refers to intelligence and wisdom. Body seems to be the measure of both physical strength and endurance. And the soul seems to be this world's version of life points. Though I’m still on the fence about that last one. Mostly because it means I’m closer to death than anyone else currently. The last thing listed under Artificer was something called. 

{ Mechanus Acolyte ~ Level 1 } 

At first I thought it was another class. But I’m not so sure anymore. It’s a spell, mostly because I tried using it out during one of my hunting days. Nothing happened; I even tried doing silly chants and poses. Which honestly only made me sound more like a dork. Though granted I was and am still a bit of a nerd even to this day. Which is the reason why I’m trying to analyze everything I have so far. I think being a nerd is also the reason why I’m so curious about my surroundings. 

Turns out the whole forest area belongs to the Chargo Oligarchy which is the current country I’m in. It sits along the coast next to the Husciusal Theocracy. The countries are currently on bad terms from the way the towns folk talk. Apparently there used to be a third country that sat between the two that ended up falling for various reasons. The theocracy took about three fifths of the country before the rest was absorbed into the Oligarchy. Though that’s the base of the information I received. I couldn't figure out a name either and things might have become muddied over time. 

The last thing I was able to learn from the town’s folk is apparently there’s an old legend of a banshee that haunts the woods behind the lake where we caught the horned boar. The legend goes that the banshee was a scorned lover and cursed to wail trying to call out to the one they love. The details seemed to vary from telling to telling. One common factor I was able to notice between them. It involved a love triangle that included one man and two females. Though I don't know why I put so much effort into learning this. It might be because I can hide in that part of the wilderness if I’m ever on the run. 

One day after returning from a hunt where I managed to kill some of those furry snake creatures that like to eat the town exterior wall. I noticed the local lord paying respect to the male slave I had seen before. Looks like the male slave is being sold off. I’m a little surprised, not because of seeing a human being sold like cattle. What surprised me was the fact that the lord seemed to show respect to the slave. As the male slave climbed onto the back of a merchant wagon I noticed he seemed remorseful as he sat back and watched himself being pulled away. I also noticed Elva waving to him as well. I didn't say anything as I sat back and watched. After the slave had left I approached Elva who gave me a smile though I could tell she was still hurting on the inside. 

“Guessing a good friend of yours?” I asked as I gave her a smile of my own.

“Y… you could say yes…” She said before she put on her tough girl act again. 

“Drinks on me.” Is all I say to her as I pat her on the shoulder. 

I’m not much of a psychologist but back in my school days and when I was in college people always came to me when they wanted to vent about their problems. I guess that part of my personality is still there even though I know I might make things worse. At the local / only pub in town I sat down with Elva with drinks in hand. Gotta say I’m normally a lightweight when it comes to drinking. I mean it takes three shots of good whisky to get me tipsy but seeing Elva guzzle down a large mug of ale and then begin screaming at me about the annoyances or her business so easily is making me rethink. 

One thing I learned right off that bat was that I was surprised by. Elva is not only the only main merchant for this town; she also is the owner of the slaves I saw in the field a few days ago. Apparently she just had to sell one of the slaves she’s kept the longest because she’s losing coins. I’ll say this… I’ve noticed it lately too. Some of the furs I've been able to sell have also gone down in price. The reason for that is mostly rumors at this point; though the main one people keep whispering is the local lord who is showing little back bone to his peers. Turns out the local lord is a vassal for a baron that rules over the territory. Interesting note, it turns out Elva met her husband back when he was a slave and she purchased him as a bodyguard. FYI never get this dwarf drunk if you value your morals and your life. I tried to stop her after the first drink but god dwarven strength is something else. She ended up sending me through the bar counter when I tried to stop her. Though the worst part is after the second drink she kept going on and on about her marriage and how she no longer feels like a woman. 

And for those who ask I say don't come to spare your morals because Elva wouldn't stop talking about their old ‘flame of passion’. Needles to say, she painted very… detailed images in my head about her and her husband's love making. Apparently one of the main reasons she was unhappy in that department was because they haven't had ‘fun’ in over a month. And having been single up to this point I honestly didn't have any first hand advice to offer. Elva ended up passing out part way through her third drink. Which I’m thankful for; I wasn't going to try and stop that dwarf again after pulling my head out of the bar counter. Seriously, it cost me ten silver to pay for the repairs to the bar counter. If she was going to get into a bar brawl I’d just stand back; I’m also lucky as hell she didn't pull her knife out.

I ended up carrying her back home; when I arrived and met the husband he seemed more… calm I guess would be the best way to say it. He chuckled a little when I told him what happened. Apparently he had the same trouble with this little ball of fury. After handing her off I sat at the lower part of Elva’s shop mostly because the husband who I found out was named Nathaniel wanted to talk with me. After putting her to bed he came back down with two small cups of water. We talked for a bit; turns out he was feeling the same way Elva was feeling. Considering what Elva told me was during a drunken state it didn't feel right to spill the beans about her feelings. Though I did have an idea that might help them. Currently the main problem they were having was funds. 

And having remembered that they still had one slave I decided to do something I know my ancestors would kill me over. I offered to purchase their last slave; Nethaniel was a little surprised by my offer. Though he didn't seem to hesitate; I think the main reason I ended up offering three gold coins which from understanding was the highest value without haggling. I had enough silver to keep myself afloat in my current living conditions being one small rented room with only one bed. Nethenial said he would need to talk with Elva tomorrow about it since she’s the one that holds the contract. With the money offered out I turned to him and flat out told him something that had been bugging me. 

“I’m not going to claim I know what you guys are going through… But if you want my advice… maybe you should remind her how much you two mean to each other. After all, from where I sit it seems like you guys keep dancing around the Aries Porcus that’s right in front of you. If you love her then show her and make her feel it. Otherwise what’s the point of your guys being together.” After saying my words I stood up and looked at Nethenail. 

I patted him on the shoulder before leaving and going to my room at the inn. I ended up staying up later than I planned, mostly because I wanted to make sure I didn't have a concussion. I think being one of those durable kids back in my school days paid off a little bit. At least now I can take a hit; though maybe me being able to keep quiet about being hurt could also be a bad thing.

2