rebirth – chapter 25
695 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Proofread: Kazuha

Dressing room.

The door suddenly opened, and Chu Feng frowned, thinking that it was one of his fans who followed the staff and sneaked into his dressing room.

When he took a closer look, it was Amanda!

Her hair was not perfectly styled like it usually was, as if she had rushed over in a hurry, but her eyes were as bright as crystal, revealing her unusual excitement and impatience!

Chu Feng read the atmosphere and faintly guessed the good news.

He stretched out his arm and wrapped it around Amanda's waist, quickly shut the door, and pressed Amanda against the door with his body. Placing both his hands on the door, he trapped Amanda in between his arms and body.

"How is it?"

"Take a guess." Amanda was still smiling with her bright eyes. She had eavesdropped on Li Rui about the news and immediately rushed over to tell Chu Feng.

It's true that the winners list of the Golden Cypress Award are confidential.

But in order for the winners to not be too pleasantly surprised to deliver their thank you speech, or to be unable to organize their thoughts when their names are called, over the years, the organizers would drop some hints before the D-day.

Moreover, one of the judges was ESE's Xie Yi.

Through Mu Zhe Bai, she had conveniently received the news early.

"Is it Yun Xiu?" Chu Feng deliberately said. But deep in his heart, seeing Amanda's excited expression, he was certain the winner of the "Best Newcomer Award" --- could only be him.

But Amanda wanted him to guess, taunting him, so he just went along with her.

"How can it be him? There is someone in this room that is much better than him!" Amanda said with a laugh.

"It's me?!" Chu Feng felt his heart thumping in his chest, surprised eyes staring at Amanda.

He was able to faintly guess that the award was going to be his.

But even after he heard the news from Amanda, it felt unbelievable.

This was his first movie, also this would be the first award he receives after debuting on the big screen. The one thing all idol stars hate is when other people question their acting abilities. With this award, all his worries would be long gone, and his name would have weight behind it.

Chu Feng held Amanda up by the waist and swung her around in the dressing room a few times, prompting Amanda to laugh.

The two people caused a huge commotion before they sat down in their chairs, panting.

"I've always been worried about Yun Xiu."

"Yun Xiu is not bad." Amanda said as she stretched out her hand to fix her hair, "But as I said, ESE values you more."

"Feng Jing...has been treating him very well."

"Director Feng," Amanda said in a quiet tone as her lips curved up to form a strange smile, "Director Feng has always valued Yun Xiu. But he can only do so much."

"The real boss of ESE is Li Rui. Does Feng Jing think he has total control over this company? During the delay in the last filming, he used ESE's name to have the investor pressure the director."

"Even if the boss is letting you do as you please, and giving you delegating rights in the company, he would not like for you to use the company name to solve everything! There are no exceptions even if he is his lover."

Chu Feng felt that Amanda knew something that he didn't but he never actually asked about it.

It seemed that during Yun Xiu's filming; the car accident was not the only thing that had happened, and even Feng Jing was dragged into this mess...

This battle had affected Feng Jing and Li Rui's relationship.

Chu Feng could not quite understand it.

Even though he was puzzled about this whole ordeal, he knew that he did not have to understand it all. Like many of his plans, he did not have to tell Amanda everything.

He held Amanda's hand as he changed the topic: "In time, we can be like Xie Yi and Mu Zhe Bai! I can be like Xie Yi, and you can be like Mu Zhe Bai. We will reach a peak as high as theirs...No, we will become so much better than they are!"

Amanda looked smilingly at Chu Feng, caressing his fingers.

In the entertainment business, few people truly make a name for themselves. Many settle for being the center of gossip and scandal.

This line of work is like deep sea water, full of meticulous calculation and illicit competition.

People have to adapt to cohabitate in this environment while stubbornly holding onto their strong sense of professionalism and take advantage of all means to move forward.

If not, then it is likely for them to become stepping stones that other people will use to become superior.

She was fortunate to have a lover that has a strong fan base, plus she has wholeheartedly set a common goal for them both to work hard on...

"You want to wear this to the red carpet tonight?" Amanda saw the suit in the room.

This was the new DSQUARED2 at Milan Fashion Week. It was made by a young Italian brand that puts great emphasis on personality and fashion. Plus, Italy has always been wild and sexy. Plaid black jacket coupled with black leather pants, rivet belt, and a pair of military boots; simply attractive and cool.

Amanda looked at it approvingly, "Very well designed."

Chu Feng kissed her on the forehead: "I really wish the one who accompanied me to the red carpet were you..."

This is my vision of his outfit, the plaid jacket from DSQUARED2

Oops! This image does not follow our content guidelines. To continue publishing, please remove it or upload a different image.

This is my vision of his outfit, the plaid jacket from DSQUARED2. This is the 2016-2017 collection, but kind of giving you the idea of this brand. I know many people are not so familiar with fashion brand they mentioned here ^^ 

*** *** ***

On the other side.

"Doing it like that...should be alright then." Xie Yi put the cigarette butt in the ashtray. Since he had entered the international market, he never had to feel troubled about anything.

But as the voting at the judge panel had just concluded...

This year, since he had been active in the foreign market, he did not have any domestic work.

So for this year's Golden Cypress Award, ESE did not put his name in the nominee list; therefore, he could become a judge. Knowing that he is one of the judges, Feng Jing made a phone call to him, suggesting that his vote should go to Yun Xiu.

His friendship with Feng Jing is not shallow.

Even if it was not for their personal friendship, for having been colleagues working at ESE, he would definitely help Feng Jing this time around...

And so.

There were four candidates for the "Best Newcomer Award", and two of them got eliminated after the first round.

Only Chu Feng and Yun Xiu were left.

These two have similar qualifications, and have good looks to their advantages.

Chu Feng is slightly more popular than Yun Xiu; but in Xie Yi's opinion, obviously Yun Xiu is much better at acting.

He really did not have a good feeling about these two men.

One person is gaining popularity by imitating him, while the other person gave him a strange feeling at the studio...making him recall someone that he knew from many years ago.

After all these years, he still feels guilt and wants to make it up to that person.

Besides, several academic professors do not think highly of these two.

Because they are idol stars and can only act in commercial films, no matter how well they perform their roles, those critics will not let go of the stereotype that idols will never understand the importance of acting.

The second round of voting between Chu Feng and Yun Xiu began.

There are a total of 13 judges, whoever has more than six votes wins the Best Newcomer Award.

Even if these two men are not good actors.

Xie Yi decided to follow Feng Jing's request, his vote would go to Yun Xiu...

But.

He did not expect a sudden twist at the last minute, when Mu Zhe Bai sent someone into the judge room to inform him that Li Rui wants him to vote for Chu Feng!

What is this situation...?

How come there is a disagreement between Li Rui and Feng Jing? What is ESE's final decision? To support Chu Feng?

The voting process went by really fast.

Xie Yi did not have time to think...and his vote went to Chu Feng.

The result of the second round was out.

Chu Feng had seven votes, Yun Xiu had six votes. Chu Feng had one more vote than Yun Xiu and became the winner for the "Best Newcomer Award".

Xie Yi suddenly felt an indescribable feeling arising in him.

He thought back to that time at the shooting of the second season for 《The Legacy》. Chu Feng was not able to fully perform his role well when he stood in front of him, but Yun Xiu...

That man's eyes were alarmingly familiar.

He was quick to get into character, and was able to magnify his partner's performance...

So much like that person.

That person did not win.

...Back in those days, in the bathroom, the judges sarcastically ridiculed that person for being gay. How could a gay become king of the silver screen?

He was also a newbie at the time, so he just went along with the flow.

But now, he is one of the judges.

He has to maintain his relationship with the higher ups in ESE, so his vote goes to Chu Feng, whose acting as not as good as Yun Xiu.

Just one vote difference.

But it is a decisive vote. Maybe the other person is just not lucky enough...

*** *** ***

Du Yun Xiu was holding Liu Yi's hand as they walked on the red carpet.

He was wearing the Versace 2012 autumn/winter collection.

High-quality white fabric that was neatly tailored, scrub style collar with buttons that created an air of mystery, and a casual brown tie knot casually embellished with a detailed pattern. The suit had a classical aristocratic luxury, yet it still retained a casual elegance.

This is the picture of the coser {costume player} that cosplayed Du Yun Xiu

Oops! This image does not follow our content guidelines. To continue publishing, please remove it or upload a different image.

This is the picture of the coser {costume player} that cosplayed Du Yun Xiu. And this is the picture of the suit he wore to the Award in their vision. I think this looks so nice and to the point, so I just use this. Credit is on the pic heheheh {I've already ordered the photobook for this work, waiting for it to arrive ^^. If you guys also want to order this, let me know~ I can help you order ^^}

Next to him, Liu Yi had her hair up retro style, with a diamond hairpin inserted to the side.

She was dressed in a strapless purple long-tailed dress, which complimented her snow white skin and cherry red lips. Her perfectly contoured hourglass body moved elegantly across the red carpet. Her left wrist donned a delicate and fine diamond bracelet, which flashed like a shining star under the light, a meandering pendulum swinging with each step. Each of her frowns and smiles was very charming.

"You're very handsome tonight." Liu Yi's arm was being hold by Du Yun Xiu's, as they walked calmly down the red carpet. She waved to many of her fans and the reporters.

Liu Yi's popularity was incredibly high, and as she waved, her fans started screaming like crazy, desperately waving their lightsticks in their hands.

"You're also beautiful tonight." Du Yun Xiu clumsily praised.

This was not his first time walking the red carpet. In his previous life he had been nominated for a few awards, so he had walked it a few times. However, the feeling he had...was completely different this time.

Tonight's spotlight seemed to be particularly brighter than normal, as it focused solely on Liu Yi and him as all the cameras flashed nonstop.

Obviously it was at night, as many lights were lit up brightly like a blinding light. Du Yun Xiu did not know whether it was Liu Yi's two million dollar jewelry flashing under the light or if it was his eyes that were getting blurry from the flashing cameras.

"Are you ok?" Liu Yi still flashed her flawless sweet smile to the fans and the reporters, while she lowered her voice to ask Du Yun Xiu with concern.

"It seems I got a little dazzled...from the cameras."

Liu Yi laughed out loud.

They are being deemed as the golden couple, because of her elegant beauty and his gorgeous charm, they make an exceptionally attractive pair.

With how they are whispering to each other, and getting into a much more intimate posture, especially when Du Yun Xiu said something to Liu Yi that caused the beauty to laugh to her heart's content.

Maybe the two had really become a couple after filming the movie.

It seems that Yun Xiu really knows how to amuse the beautiful Liu Yi. Many journalists have already put together the headline for the next day's article about this.

"Because we're the most popular people right now, we will be at the receiving end of their cameras' exceptional 'love'," Liu Yi laughed and continued to whisper a conversation with Du Yun Xiu, "you should start to learn to enjoy this "love". After all, I have been "loved" like this for more than three years."

Du Yun Xiu shook his head and smiled: "I feel somewhat mortified. Fortunately, I don't have to wear 10cm high heels to enjoy this special treatment."

He understands why the actress must find a male partner to these events.

Asides from wearing such high heels throughout the event.

The other partner in crime is this elegant long dress that can easily make the actress trip over any time in her steps.

On the way, Liu Yi's evening dress got stepped on a few times by other people or sometimes by her own high heels. If she did not hold onto him to steady her posture, she would have fallen over quite miserably...

Du Yun Xiu said this to Liu Yi.

Liu Yi laughed and praised him for being such a competent escort tonight.

*** *** ***

He probably had not paid so much attention to the Golden Cypress Award for a long time.

As he was attending this event tonight, Du Yun Xiu was quite amazed.

The entertainment world has changed so much in the short span of ten years, it seemed like a totally different world.

Previously popular songs, makeup, and clothing are now old fashioned in the eyes of the current trend; he previously thought that he would never have a chance to be sitting here again, but now, here he is!

The actors and the production crew, each one is in suit, showing their glamour and handsome elegance; sitting in a group of the most popular artists of the showbiz that recognize his name, Du Yun Xiu felt quite surreal.

This is indeed his new life, but it was more like a gorgeous fictional illusion...

The Golden Cypress Award is being hosted by a female MC, who is very witty and makes good use of punch lines.

In his previous life, he had been on this hostess's program, when the other was still new and quite tender, but now ten years later, she is a mother of two, and time has left its marks at the corners of her eyes, but she is not as hot tempered as she used to be.

The awards are being presented one by one.

The female host really knew how to control the banquet atmosphere as she constantly directed the excitement in everyone's favor, and even the artists were laughing along with her jokes. She then invited a very famous singer to come to the stage. Du Yun Xiu was delighted to know it was Pei Qing! Although Pei Qing's cold appearance has toned down, he still has that lingering icy cold aura around him that people cannot help but feel attracted to every time they see him.

Without doubt, Liu Yi won the title of Best Actress.

Lin Xuan, who just returned from abroad, was the one handing out the award. She wore a Giorgio Armani silver dress, her long wavy hair revealed a natural look. Long diamond pendant earrings loomed over her delicate exposed collarbone. It was the kind of beauty that make people's hearts tremble, but at the same time feel a chill enter the room.

Lin Xuan had been active abroad for the past few years.

She is no longer a young actress chasing after fame. Now, she has become more withdrawn, and correspondingly, her whole body seems to warn people away.

Liu Yi now is the most talked about celebrity in the business.

She is donning a two million dollar diamond jewel, has delicate and perfect makeup on, and is wearing a dress that the very famous foreign designer, Irin Christian, had specially designed for her for tonight.

But when standing next to Lin Xuan, Du Yun Xiu felt Liu Yi was lacking something.

Perhaps it is the temperament...Lin Xuan's cold temperament is something that Liu Yi lacks.

Next was the announcement for the Best Newcomer Award.

Du Yun Xiu felt butterflies in his stomach, but due to Feng Jing's words, he had a faint hope in his heart...

He looked at Chu Feng, and Chu Feng's gaze met his, the two gazes sparkling at midpoint; the other then smiled a very confident smile.

Du Yun Xiu suddenly felt that the bottom of his heart had understood something.

He did not notice Feng Jing come over to sit next to him.

Feng Jing is not a star, but right now he did not feel inferior compared to any of the other popular stars, with his waist-long jet black hair and bewitching teardrop mole that held a captivating charm that no other famous stars can possess.

Even though his face now looks a bit grim, he still has his usual arrogant aura around him.

"The Best Newcomer Award this year might not be..." Feng Jing patted Yun Xiu's shoulder.

He had practiced this line many times, thinking over of ways to deliver the not so good news to the other; but when he saw the other's shining eyes, the words got stuck in his throat, feeling it was a very difficult task.

The other person almost died in a car accident for this movie.

Obviously his performance is flawless, and obviously that movie is a big hit at the box office! Then why? Why!

...Li Rui.

There was a moment that Feng Jing harbored a hatred towards Li Rui's business concept.

He should have told Yun Xiu the news in advance, so that the other man can be prepared, and not feel too let down with the results.

But when he opened his mouth, he found himself unable to deliver the news; it was him who had given the other hope at that time, even promised him, but now...

It was supposed to be him who pat Yun Xiu's shoulder to comfort him. Instead, it turned out to be Yun Xiu patting his shoulder.

"It's ok, I still have a lifetime."

"There will be more opportunities at a later time. You've taught me a lot, maybe you didn't notice it, but I know that you have changed me a lot, especially my negativeness. This is enough to make me happy."

*** *** ***

On the podium, the hostess said something amusing that caused the artists and audience to burst into laughter.

But the two people did not pay any heed to it...

Unconsciously, it was time to announce the Best Newcomer Award, and the honorable guest for that award is Xie Yi.

The big screen broadcast the short movie clips of all the nominees for the award, then Xie Yi opened the envelop.

"The four nominees are very popular artists." The hostess began to heat up the atmosphere in the podium, "I'm a little worried, the award can only be given to one, won't the fans of the other three might not be happy?"

"Of course not." Xie Yi smiled evilly, "It's due to the fans' support and the efforts of the behind-the-scene staffs that we artists can go this far. So no matter whoever the winner is, the four of them have worked very hard and put in a lot of efforts, the fans will still love them dearly, right?"

Xie Yi's words were quite sensational and agitated.

After Xie Yi said these words, small light sticks immediately got lit up in the audience seat as shouting Xie Yi's name.

"If that's the case, we shall listen to Xie Yi announce the winner of the Best Newcomer Award for this year Golden Cypress is ---"

"Yun Xiu!"

The moment Xie Yi said the name of the winner, the music echoed throughout the whole audium.

Chu Feng could not suppress his excitement and stood up from his seat, Amanda also followed by cheering.

The other artists could not help but to wonder, it was Yun Xiu's name being called, why Chu Feng stood up as if going to receive the award?

At the same time, on this side Feng Jing and Yun Xiu glanced at each other.

The two of them vaguely heard a name, but they were not sure...

This formed a very wonderful contrast.

Chu Feng was full of joy, while the real winner --- Yun Xiu did not move an inch.

"Yun Xiu, congratulations!"

"Congratulations, you won the Best Newcomer Award!"

"Haha, why are you still sitting here? Hurry and go get your award!"

The other artists around here were stunned for a moment as they were sure they did not hear it wrong, and the name appeared on the big screen has proven their doubt, so they turned to Yun Xiu to congratulate him.

"Ah? Me?" Yun Xiu pointed to himself, still could not believe it, "It's really me?"

He did not hold any hope up.

But now it turned out the winner to be him. He took a glimpse at Feng Jing, and Feng Jing also stared at him in confused.

After a short second, Feng Jing suddenly embraced him fiercely, long hair sticking on his face.

He heard the unrestrained joy in Feng Jing's voice: "Don't think about it! Hurry and go receive your award!!!"

---

End of Chapter 25

2