3_ ch 5: A. The Spiraling Staircases And The Kid With Antlers
36 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

5. A: The Spiraling Staircases And The Kid With Antlers

Feeling the sudden shift in gravity, I slowly close my eyes and then as the whole world disappears, I... ZzZSsS. I resist.

I resist it, that sudden and intense shift of gravity pulling me ‘down’, those unknown and incomprehensible voices ringing in my ears, and also... That unconcealed feeling of hate and rejection invading my very being? I resist it too, after all... I wouldn’t have come here if I wasn’t confident, not to mention the fact these nauseating feelings are becoming this intense can only mean one thing, and that is...

“I am finally here...”

At the core of this Maze... Or, at least at the path leading directly to said core. Still, where is it, just where is it? That mischievous and annoying guide of mi-...

“Ah, there you are.”

Saying that and feeling the familiar connection, I instantly spin in the air and manipulate the flow only to then calmly float in air defying gravity and slowly look down at ‘it’, but...

“The kid aside, this whole place... It’s really getting more and more uncomfortable by the second, isn’t it?”

Saying that and feeling the goosebumps on my skin, I glance at the walls around me where thousands of eyes are glaring at me as I then glare back for a moment, before then feeling the futility of my action and slowly moving my attention from them and to the staircases instead.

The twisted staircase spiraling on and on forever as the whole world spins around with them. And Oh... I am just saying, but this is not an exaggeration, okay?

After all, it’s almost 600 m, you know? The distance between me and the end of the staircase directly below...

“Though of course, that’s just speaking of the end, as for the beginning of the staircases, well...”

Well, let’s just say that either due to the dim light from the thousands of blinking eyes being weak or due to my enhanced vision not being satisfying, but somehow...

“I can’t see it... No matter how far I looked up, all I can see is the endless Spiraling Staircases stretching forever.”

Still, forever or not, it’s not like this maze is mine nor am I the unfortunate one on cleaning duty today, so...

“So who cares?”

Saying that and grinning in satisfaction, I look down at the place about 400m down and there... I see it.

An endless wave of distorted and ugly creatures swarming forward fearlessly, and then standing against them was... A kid.

Wearing a blue hood and covering its white as-snow face, was a cute kid... Or not. After all, it’s impossible for a human kid to have rabbit ears, a fluffy squirrel tail, or pure white antlers and so...

“Yeah, that thing there is not a human... yet.”

Though in the possible future? I don’t know nor do I have enough data to judge. Still, it’s worth mentioning that the last time I saw this thing it was less human and more cube-like, so who knows?

Nevertheless, its possible future growth aside, I am more concerned about its present capabilities. I mean, even if it’s me...

“I am not sure I can casually tear waves after waves of demonic beasts while calmly advancing forward as it’s doing... Or can I?”

Hmmm, I am not really sure... Ah, but maybe I can try? Suddenly thinking of that and feeling some excitement, I once again glance down at the kid down there as it repeatedly swings its claws around, easily tearing apart the beasts surrounding it only for more to once again swarm it endlessly, and then I... I instantly shut my mouth up and turn my head to the side as if seeing nothing. After all, while it may be true that sometimes I am blinded by my competitive spirit, but... Yeah, even I am a little overwhelmed by the scenes below to just jump straight into that ocean of abominations, so...

“Good luck, kid. Mommy here will wait till you clear the stairs a~ll the way to the end, and then when you are tired... She will take you to nap and also confiscate that burdensome Nucleus of yours, okay?”

Saying that and smiling widely, I float in my place there and wave my hand, cheering and encouraging the oblivious kid down below for a while before then slowly getting bored of this cheap act as I then turn to the side and glance at Navi, but...

“You are recording everything, right?”

“Yes, I am, Account.”

“Good.”

Nodding and responding like that, I silently stare at my navigation AI for a while more, before then shaking my head and then instantly flying to the nearest staircases as I then sit down... Still, it seems...

“Hnn? Y~awn... Oh, it seems I am really on the verge of collapse.”

Muttering that and stretching my stiff muscle, I close my eyes a little relaxing my hazy mind while also feeling my tired body weakening due to both the lack of tension and the rejection of the surrounding Curse. Still, I guess this is only natural...

“It’s only natural considering it’s been more than 30 hours since I last sle-...”

“... It’s actually 43 hours, Account.”

“... Oh...”

That sounds a lot... Thinking such and absentmindedly nodding my head for a while, I suddenly stop and then tilt my head, but... Could the reason for all the weird thoughts distracting me for a while now be this lack of sleep?

Hmmm... Yeah, I guess that’s probably the reason. Reaching that conclusion and feeling a little depressed, I slowly lie down on my back feeling the staircases’ cold touch spreading through my body, only to then open my misty eyes and with a sleepy expression blankly stare at the interface in front of me and the interesting scene of purgatory reflected in it.

1