Chapter 5 – The conclusion of my first day in another world
956 9 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Most people don't remember their first day of life. Heck, even their first year, first 5 years. Thinking about it, I'm rather fortunate. I get to remember the first day of my life. My reincarnated life, at least. And what a day it was... Well, it was actually about, like, 6 hours, but it was a full 6 hours. 

By the time we arrived back in town after our little excursion with the wolves, the sun was setting and the moon was coming into view. (Thinking about it, I guess I should be surprised that the day/night cycle is the same here as it is in my previous world. Sure is convenient.) S and I decided that after we collected our reward, (well, his reward, technically.) it'd be best to return to the inn and and retire to our rooms. As we got closer and closer to the inn, I realized just how tired I was. It's like a week of sleepless nights washed over me all at once... it's not an enjoyable feeling.

The lady at the inn welcomed us in kindly. The restaurant part of the inn was dark, probably closed at this point. S and the inn lady chatted with each other for a bit, but I was far too groggy to participate, so I just told S I was heading to bed and slinked up the stairs toward to my room at the earliest opportunity. Looking back, that might've been a little rude of me.

The room was small and simple, but had a cozy feeling. It was simply a bed, a dresser, and a mirror. Nothing more, nothing less. I immediately dove on the bed and conked out. Getting reincarnated, meeting an irritating god creature, meeting and dealing with S and his shenanigans, and fighting giant wolves all in the span of a few hours really does a number on a guy.  Still... it was undoubtedly a fun day. Surely, one to remember. Good night, new world, though I know not of what comes tomorrow, I welcome this respite. Thus, I fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.

*Knock knock knock*

A deep, uninterrupted, dreamless sleep. 

*KnockKnockKnockKnockKnockKnockKnockKnockKnockKnock*

OH GOD DANGIT WHAT IS IT

I angrily walked over to the door and almost slammed it open. Predictably, S stood before me. He had a serious look on his face.

"May I come in? I need to talk to you about something." S said in a serious way. This felt... out of character for him. It must be important.

"Uh, sure." I said, letting him in.

Ordinarily, I'd imagine one would sit down for a serious conversation like this, but there aren't any chairs, so... Here we are, standing up in a very serious way. I can't help but be nervous.

"I'll get straight to the point. That business about you being a 'traveler', from earlier... there's something you're not telling me, isn't there?"

... oh, so that's what this is about. "W-what makes you say that?"

"Well, I don't know a lot about you, we've only just met, but I can say this confidently. There's no way you would go travelling to a foreign land without any knowledge about lay within, without any preparation of any kind, unless... something was happening."

...... Should I tell him? Would he believe me? I doubt I can lie my way out of this... But if he finds out, he might ask about...

I open my mouth to speak, but...

Before I can say anything, S interrupts me. "Remember: you're under no obligation to tell me anything. I'm not so stupid that I'm not aware that everyone has secrets. Hell, I've more than I know what to do with. These secrets keep us safe, and I'm not so selfish that I'd ask you to compromise that safety."

There was a pause, just for a moment.

"That being said!" S continued "If we are to continue journeying together, there will come a time where these secrets and their consequences will come to pass." He paused a little awkwardly after he said this. Based off his face, he seemed to be looking for a way to continue, but he couldn't find the right words.

Wait, what?

"If we are to continue journeying together?"

I seem to have broken his train of thought. "Yeah, naturally." He looked confused as he said this.

"But... I don't owe you anymore, you're no longer under obligation to stay with me."

He looked surprised for some reason. "What? Obligation? What are you on about?" 

What? "uh... well..." 

"If I were concerned about things like that, I'd have just had you work alone, and pay me back with money, you wad!" he seemed a little angry at this point.

"w-wait, then what was the poin-"

"Because you're fun to be around, you moron!" 

Really? Me? Fun? Huh? What?

I'm stunned for more than a few seconds.

"Jeez... you stupid or something?" S said, looking a little embarrassed. 

"So... you mean you want to keep doing this? Together, I mean?" 

"I mean, if you want to..." 

"I do, I do." I say, maybe a little too enthusiastically. I guess we're both embarrassed now.

We just sort of looked at each other for a while. The seriousness seems to have vanished, and I feel like an idiot. 

A while passes after a while, as it does.

"Wait wait wait, back on track" S begins again "Will you be prepared to face our secrets together, and bare everything when the time comes?"

PHRASING!... No, I should take this seriously. I take a deep breath. "Only when you're ready to share your secrets, too."

S smiles. "Fairs fair, after all."

We both chuckled at the absurdity of this conversation for a short while. It was... oddly refreshing. 

"Welllll, I'm tired. I bet you are too, though you always look tired." S begins.

"Oh, shut up, get outa here." I retort, with a smile.

He chuckles a bit. "Right, right. Goodnight, Beyes." he says, exiting my room, heading towards his.

"Goodnight, S." I conclude. I couldn't help but look into his room as he entered it. It was the same as mine.

I suppose S sleeps too, doesn't he. 

I suppose S is just like me, isn't he. 

I feel stupid that I didn't realize it before. 

Regardless, I close the door and retreat to bed once more. This time, truly entering a deep, dreamless, uninterrupted... yes, uninterrupted sleep.  My first night, and my first friend in another world. I think I was smiling as I fell asleep. 

35