Chapter 14 – I’m tired.
562 3 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'm not fond of animals. In my previous world, they were irritating but easy to deal with, for the most part. Here, however, they're not only irritating, but they're occasionally huge and deadly, too. I mean, dogs that can rip your head off, suicide bombing rabbits, and who knows what else... I think I'll do my best to avoid animals, moving forward. 

I continue gazing up at the moon. It's really not all that different from the moon I gazed at in my previous world. It's strangely comforting, actually. That big, white, circle of... stuff, I dunno man, I'm tired. It's like, nearly midnight or something, and, though we were only fighting that rabbit for less than a minute, I can't help but feel tired beyond belief... I've half a mind to just warp myself back to the inn, but...

"Right, what're we gonna do about the rest of 'em?" S says, interrupting my thoughts. 

Figured. As tired as I am, I find it hard to deny this guy. Alright, I just gotta solve this quickly. Brain, this'll just be a little overtime, then we can hit the sack. 

Okay, plan 1: Make a massive hole under the rabbits and drop them from real high. Certainly effective, but I think I'd risk going deaf from all the explosions, and the noise could wake up half the continent, I wager. So that's out.

Alright, time for plan 2. "Is there a volcano or something near here?" I ask S.

He looks out at the grassy expanse before us. "Somehow I doubt it." He replies semi sarcastically. "Though, I used to... well, that's far away, anyways..." He looked a bit uneasy with that second thought there. Wonder what that's about? "Anyways, why'd you ask?" he finishes.

"Figured I could just drop all of 'em in there." 

"Yikes!.. Would probably work though."

Regardless, I guess that's out... I'll put 'find volcano' on my to-do list in case a situation like this ever arises again. I guess a big hole would work, too. A big, normal hole, I mean.

Okay, plan 3... shoot. I'm out of plans. Magic, maybe? Nah, I doubt anything I can cast will will be useful. Could I drop something on them? Nah, there's nothing big enough around here that would crush all of them, and if I only hit a few, the rest will get scared and... kaboom.

This means there's only one option left, but I sincerely doubt I'll be lucky enough to- 

My thoughts are interrupted (Again.) by the sounds of horses and people on horseback coming towards us. As I look over, it seems that they're guards from town. I guess they heard the explosions over there, too.

Normally, I'd be irritated by being immediately corrected, but in this case, I'm glad. Now, there's nothing stopping option 4, the strongest and best option.

"Oh, great, guards." S says, sounding a little annoyed. I guess he's not too fond of guards.

After a short while and an awkward silence, the guards made their way over to us. There were about half a dozen of 'em. 

 "What are you doing out here, citize-" One of the guards began. His armor was a little different from the others, and he looked a little familiar, though I can't quite place it. "Oh, S. I see. Wonderful." He looked over at S with a funny look on his face. A look that said 'oh god, this guy again.' 

"A pleasure meeting you out here, 'captain'." S said sarcastically, returning the same look. Strangely, despite the obvious hostility, I don't get the feeling that they hate each other. 

"And who's- oh. You again." The captain said, turning over to me. Oh, right, I met this guy when I delivered the kid to the guardhouse earlier. Was that an odd way to put that? Eh, whatever. "What are you two doing out here, and what was with all the commotion?" the captain continued. 

"Well, if by 'commotion,' you mean violent explosions," I point over to the horde of rabbits "there's your culprits."

The guards seemed rather uneasy, and seemed to mutter uncomfortably. "By the gods... surely they couldn't-"

This time, I interrupt. "Boom." I make a hand gesture to accompany this warning. I guess the earlier sarcasm has rubbed off on me. 

There was a moment of pause before the captain spoke up again. "Well, we'll deal with this." He said, gesturing to his guards, who didn't really look like they wanted to deal with this. "You civilians clear out." 

"Wonderful. Good night." I said quickly, and began walking away just as quick. This is it, my ultimate plan, plan 4: 'not my problem'! Once they stop watching me, I'm warping back to the inn. Strangely, the guards looked as if they didn't expect me to say that, like something else was supposed to happen. What? I did what they asked. 

"Wait, we can't just-" S began. I looked him dead in eyes. He seemed a little spooked as he began to understand the nature of this situation. "R-right. We'll leave this in your, uh, 'capable' hands." he concluded, turning to the guards, getting in one last sarcastic quip before following me off. A few seconds later, after I made sure it was safe, I warped the two of us back to the inn, and we retired to bed. I fell asleep as soon as I lay down. Thus concludes my second day in another world, and my first full day, at that. Despite everything, I think I'm starting to get the hang of things. Kind of. Maybe. 


To be honest, I was worried those kids would insist on helping. I at least expected S to. Lots of self proclaimed 'heroes' and 'adventurers' insist on doing our job for us. At best, they hog all the glory, and at worst, they inadvertently make the situation worse. Even when they do provide actual assistance, they make my men lazy. I could tell that some of my men were disappointed when those two left. I'll straighten them out later...

Normally, I'd send someone to watch the kids home, make sure they get back safe, but, as irritating as he is, I know that S is more than capable in a scrap. As for that other guy, well, frankly, I really can't get a read on him. Something about him bothers me, though. He always seems like he's got something better to do. Kids these days... Well, I guess he's not all bad, I am at least grateful for what he did earlier. 

My horse doesn't seem to like him any more than I do. I can tell, she seemed rather irritated by him. Maybe it's that cocky look on his face. Or maybe she just doesn't like 'em. I've heard that animals are a good judge of character, but that can't be right, because she's rather friendly with that runt, S. 

Anyways, I should focus on the real problem, not some brats...

Wait... Crap! I forgot! I was supposed to tell that runt! 

"Wait, kid, hold up!" I shouted, turning around and calling out to the kids. Or at least, where I thought the kids were gonna be.

What? But they were... Where the hell did they go? It's only been, what, 10 seconds?! There's no way they could've... Oh, whatever, I'm sure he'll find out eventually. I've got work to do.

"Well, men," I began as I look out at the sea of dangerous little critters. "We've got a long night ahead of us."

27