Chapter 29 – A chat with a charlatan amidst the ongoing storm.
314 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I really have no idea what the point of this room was. An oversized closet, perhaps? Then what's the deal with the window? Or, at least, what was a window a few minutes ago. I mean, I guess it's not that unreasonable to have a window in a closet, but it still feels weird. Regardless, this is probably the least important thing going on right now.

The person in this room with me, the person who, presumably, made all that noise, was not any of the following:

A - Amelia.

B - Some weird old guy in a purple robe. 

And especially not C - Anyone I recognized, like, at all.

Instead, before me stood a relatively tall, androgynous person with dark, green eyes, and short brown hair. They looked to be around the same age as me, perhaps a year or so older. They were wearing a simple green shirt, and simple brown pants, both of which had sizeable pocket space, as well as a belt and decently sized light brown backpack, both of which added even more pocket space. Honestly, their attire wasn't all that different from mine, albeit theirs was more 'medieval fantasy-y'. Also, their face reminded me of a cat for some reason.

Naturally, I'm quite confused as I enter. I was gonna do this whole thing, I'd pop in unannounced, warp the girl out, then look the criminal dead in the eyes and say "any last words?" and hold out my sickles threateningly or something. Okay, it seems a little cheesy looking back but it seemed fine at the time. The point is, I don't do anything cool, and this is not the situation I wanted or was expecting.

"Took you long enough." Said the person in front of me. "Man, you must be one sick bastard. I mean, most people would've infiltrated immediately after a note like that. Yet, it took you until you heard a scream, and you still don't seem to care? You're nuts, dude. Though, I guess I should have expected that after how you reacted to nearly getting your leg torn off. Gotta hand it to ya, you're scary."

There's a lot to unpack here. As hurt as I am from all these accusations, there are far more important matters at hand.  "W-who are you? Where the girl?" I ask, shivering a little.

The person in front of me seemed a little surprised. From outside the room, I heard Amelia's voice.

"What's going on? Why's everyone screaming?" She shouted, a little distraught.

"AMELIA!" I heard the duke scream.

I then heard various confused noises coming from everyone in the other room as everyone tried to piece everything together. They seemed to come to a conclusion rather quickly, as I stopped hearing them after a moment.

The person in front of me spoke again. "She's fine, obviously. To be honest, I'd wanted to take her for real, but this place is just so big, I figured it'd be faster to improvise."

How can they say that so calmly?

They continued, "And as for me, well, perhaps this'll jog your memory." They reached into their bag, and pulled out a familiar purple robe for a brief moment, before putting it back. 

What? But the voice was so different. "H-how, why?" I ask.

"I'm good with voices." They said, as if that explained anything important.

"W-why do this?" 

"Well, initially, I was just in the woods looking for interesting people. Then, I saw you lot, played 'bandit A', and figured we were gonna entertain each other for a while. Honestly, I didn't expect much from you. I mean, being downed by only 1 beast? Figured you were just some scrub. Not a great first impression."

"Get to the point." 

"Alright, alright. Geez, tough crowd.  Well, at the end of Act 1, at what was supposed to be a big turning point, a striking reveal, you went and ended the show early."

Act 1, huh.

They continued. "I'll be honest, that was freaky. Almost made me break character. I can't imagine how you maintained that face throughout. That was some clever ad-lib, I'll give you that."

"You know what, thank you. Y'know, actually-" Oops. Almost got a little carried away there. "I-I mean, uh, I don't, uh, need..."

"Anyways, that move you did at the end there really left an impression on me. I mean, teleportation? That's incredible. Beyond incredible, even. How do you beat an opponent that can be literally anywhere in an instant? It's nuts! It's really struck a chord with me."

They seemed quite excited, and, weirdly happy. This can't be good. "Why's that? A-and why are you here?"

"For you, obviously."

"F-for me?" This can't mean anything good.

"Well, for the first time in god knows how long, I've seen something truly interesting. You've shown me a technique as strong, perhaps stronger than mine. It's scary, and terribly exciting. I guess I just wanted to chat, really."

"A-all this for a chat? How did you even escape, anyways?" I'd assume they had to be under some pretty heavy security, since the duke was somewhat nearby.

"It's not hard to escape an enemy that doesn't know who they're fighting."

Oh boy. I guess that means... Well, I'm pretty sure this is the case, but I'll ask anyways. "Those summons of yours... they're not your only trick, are they?"

"Obviously. An actor that can preform but one role isn't a good actor at all, after all." 

"I see." That confirms it. Whoever this person is, they're beyond tough. I bet S figured out the same thing. I don't care what this person said earlier, if I got into a fight here, I'd be toast in a second flat. Not gonna lie, this is a freaky situation. 

 "I suppose you do."  What's that supposed to mean? They began to walk past me, towards what was once a window. "Well, I best be on my way soon. But before I go, one more thing." They stopped next to me, and put their hand on my shoulder, still looking towards the window. They placed their hand at an odd angle, and their thumb was touching my neck a bit.

"W-what is it?"

"Would you tell me how you do it?" 

"Would you believe me if I said it was divine intervention?" 

They chuckled. "Figured. Well, I'm off." They bowed dramatically, the leapt up to what remained of the windowsill. They gonna jump? I think we're on the second floor. I mean, they can probably take it, but what then? "We'll meet again. Au revoir!" Then, they jumped.

And, for a moment, they fell.

Then they flew off like a rocket. They flew off into the sky. Then, they started gliding, and flew off, out of view.

Flight, huh. 

Nuts.

Wait a minute, that was French, right?

16