Chapter 37 – A Dinner in Two Parts, Part 2. ‘not the first part’
240 4 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They say 'there's a fine line between love and hate'. And, while I don't really know for sure, I think that it's probably true, or at least has some merit. I mean, surely they wouldn't say it so much if it weren't the case, right? The typical use for this phrase is in a romantic perspective (making it quite popular in crappy rom-coms), but I'd imagine that it could be applicable for other things, too, like friendship or food or something. Like, the phrase 'the difference between a friend and an enemy is perspective' sounds pretty insightful, doesn't it? Probably. Maybe.

Anyways, we're still here at Basenholm's inn, talkin' bout magic and stuff with the person who attacked us earlier today and, now that I'm thinking about it, committed a terrorist attack, didn't they? Yeah, things got a little weird and mixed up a bit ago, I guess. Well, for the moment, we're having a pleasant and insightful chat before a nice dinner, so everything's good.

"Actually, while we're talking about magic, there's something I'd like to ask you." Purple said. 

"Wha?" They have something they want to ask me, of all people? 

"Earlier you teleported that stabby fella, didn't you?" They asked, gesturing over towards S.

Huh? Where are they going with this? "Yeah, I guess." 

"If you can teleport other people, why didn't you just teleport me a few hundred meters into the sky the first time I attacked you? I mean, I'd have been fine, but against anyone else, it'd have saved you a lotta trouble."

Oh. That's what they're wondering. Well, in truth, I'd be lying if I'd said it hadn't crossed my mind. I mean, it worked so well against that summoned creature, of course I thought about it. But... "Far as I was aware, it'd have killed you. Didn't wanna." Honestly, even the thought that I've killed animals, or, at least, something similar to animals makes me a little uneasy. I mean, it's not like I've never slapped the odd bug in my previous life, but killing something that, I dunno, big, something that can actually get up close and personal...

Stirs up some nasty memories.

...

Well, no use thinking about that. I mean, with this power, there's nothing that can stop me from running away from any scenario. I'll never need to kill anyone, I can always just leave. 

At least, I... I won't ever be the one to pull the trigger.

"Huh. What a boring answer." Purple said, talking about killing people like it's food preference, or something. "Fair enough, though. I'm not too fond of it either. Not like I've never done it, but it just seems like such a waste most of the time, y'know?"

I just nodded in response, trying to move the conversation somewhere else. Please, anywhere else...


Oh man, this new trick is gonna be nuts! Finally, I'll be able to express a glimpse of the true majesty that sand commands! Oh, beasts and bandits alike are nowhere close to ready for this right behemoth that's about to be unleashed! Hooooh boy, the excitement could kill me, dude! Right, I just need to practice creation and control above all else, and-

*Sniff*

Hm? What's that smell?  

*Sniff sniff* 

It's familiar... what is it? An attack? No, I doubt it, there's nothing hostile about this... nothing magical, either... Oh, it's probably the food!

*Sniff sniff*

No, no, definitely not coming from that direction... Someone cooking something outside?

*Sniff*

It's coming from that direction, but, now that I'm thinking about it, that's not food. This is something more raw. Not raw like m-m-mmeat, (crap, think I drooled a little), raw like- wait, that drool, it's close. Drool, drool, what's- TEARS! Aha! That's what it is! Someone's crying! Hazza-

...

Beyes? 

What's...

Why's he... 

He's just nodding at the fire right now, probably in response to something that chick said. He looks the same as he always does, looking more like a statue than a man, yet, that smell, it's unmistakably... What could have brought this? I mean, I wasn't really listening to their conversation, they were just talking about magic, right? What could she have-

What.

What was that. 

No, no that had to have been... For a brief, brief moment, it had to have been less than a bit of a second, that girl glanced over at me, their eyes just wandering or something, and in that moment I could see into her eyes. And what I saw was sheer, absolute, relief. 

What's really scary here is that there wasn't a shred of malice. I mean, if what they did made someone cry, I'd imagine they'd have some sort of mischief, but, no. That was pure and innocent. Powerful, too. Prolly equal to the joy of encountering a free all-you-can-eat barbeque after 3 days without food. 

What in the world could they be talking about, and why would it cause such strong feeling? 

It doesn't matter, now's not the time to worry about crap. I'm gonna stop whatever's goin' on here. Just gotta not cause a scene.


"Right, I just remembered, you haven't told us your name yet." S said, looking over at Purple. That was a bit out of the blue, wasn't it? 'Guess he's right though, we don't know their name.

They chuckled "My name, huh? Well, these days, most people know me as Catface. On account of the, y'know." they gestured to their face with their hands. 

"Yeah, got that." I said.

"Right, yeah, makes sense." S said. 

"Pretty rude to ask for my name without giving me yours, though." Catface said with a mischievous grin. 

"Oh yeah, I-"

"But you already know them, right?" S said, with their own, equally mischievous grin. Wha- oh, right, they were spying on us back at the duke's place. 

"Eh? You knew about that, too? Man, you're almost as much of a monster as this guy!" Catface said, a little surprised. Monster?! Rude! 

"Right, what's that make you, then?" S said, looking smug.

Catface laughed. "Fair enough! Anyways, I was surprised when I found out you two also used stage names." 

Oh yeah, I kinda forgot that 'S' probably isn't S's real name. That, or he has really uncreative parents. Speaking of... "Mine's real." I said. 

"Really? Huh." 

Fortunately, it didn't take long for the hooded guy to come out with our food. Ah, almost forgot about his whole deal. They're weird, right? 

"Alrighty, here's yer food." He said, handing our food over. S had a slab of grilled chicken, Catface had a pretty uninteresting looking salad, and I had a very simple looking tomato soup. Everything seemed to be just as we ordered. Only odd thing was that all of the orders came in bowls. Well, that's normal for soup and salad, but even S's thing was in a bowl. "Now, would I be correct in assuming y'all're gonna need rooms for the night?"

Purple began eating immediately, probably not listening to what the innkeeper was saying. 

"Right, yeah, probably." S said. 

"Splendid. Well, y'all just enjoy yer meal, I'll go freshen up the rooms and such. When you're ready to pay, just holler." The innkeeper guy said as he walked off to the rooms.

Thus, we all began eating. 

My soup was pretty good. I mean, nothing special, it was just soup, but, y'know. Soup's good. Not much else to say about that.

"Say, Catface." S said as we ate. "What's your deal?" What's that mean, I wonder?

"Whaddya mean?" Catface said, swallowing a bit of their salad.

S took a bite of their chicken "Well, when we first met, earlier, you attacked us, right?" they swallowed before continuing, "After that, you did some weird stuff, but nothing directly hostile. And just now, you actually helped us out a good deal." They took another hefty bite of chicken, "So, you a friend, or an enemy?"

"Depends, I guess." Catface began through a mouth full of green, "Ultimately, I want to share the stage with this guy, create something fun." They pointed at me. I'm both flattered and terrified. They swallowed before continuing, "To that end, there's no way I'm gonna let him die, at the very least."  

Man, did ANYONE teach these maniacs table (or, in this case, lack thereof) manners?! I've been so distracted by their chewing I can't think of any quips! Also, I sure hope that 'sharing the stage' doesn't mean fueling their adrenaline addiction by means of bloody combat. Oh, who am I kidding, of course it does. I continue sipping my soup nervously, as the conversation continues.

Catface continued, taking another bite, "Thinking about it, might be fun to see you on stage as well. Maybe I'll keep you alive, too." 

S swallowed, almost done with their meal at this point. "Sure you won't regret that?"

"I'd love to find out." Catface said, clear as day. 

2 combat junkies walk into a bar, much to the dismay of everyone else. 

Well, I gotta say, I don't think I'll ever again experience anything that'll fill me with such sheer dread and relief, simultaneously. From both parties, actually. I sometimes forget that S has got some freaky bloodlust. I mean, it's a little exciting, but...

Anyways, the rest of our dinner went by mostly smoothly, as, by the time that conversation ended, everyone was mostly done with their food.

"Right, looks like we're done here, should we get our rooms and wander around town a bit?" S said.

"Yeah, may as well." I said. "You gonna get one, Catface?" Feels weird calling someone Catface. I mean, I know that's what they told me to call them, but it just feels rude. 

"Nah, I'll be out of here soon enough. Might wander around with you for a bit longer, though. Got no other plans. Plus, doubt anyone from a small town like this'll recognize me." I probably don't want to ask too much about what they mean by that last comment. Though, based off previous events, I kinda already get the gist...

"Right. YO, INNKEEPER!" S said/shouted as we headed up to the counter.  

"Ah, I'll be right with y'all in a moment!" The innkeeper said from the far left room. 

After a moment, he was out, and S and I were getting our cash ready. 

"Oh, I'm covering for them." I said, gesturing to Catface.

"Ah, quite the gentleman, aren't you?" The innkeeper said. I think he's complementing me, but he's kinda got the wrong idea. Catface simply chuckled. The innkeeper continued, "Alright for you, that'll be 8 silver." He said, looking towards S. Ooh, that is pricey. "And for you young man, 6 silver." That's a little pricey, but not so bad. Wonder how much our individual meals cost?

"Right, we're also lookin' to get 2 rooms for the night." S said. 

"Just t-" then he paused as he looked over at me, and then over at Catface. "Oh, certainly. That'll just be an extra 5 silver per room. I swear, they start younger every year."

I felt my face get hot. First S, now this dirty old man! "N-no, i-it's not, uh-" I tried to explain myself, but I can't quite get words to form properly. Catface is now full on laughing. God, what isn't funny to them?

I'm not sure if the innkeeper got the picture, it's hard to figure out what's going on under that hood of his. Regardless, we paid for our food and the rooms. S just handed over 2 gold, told him to 'make it 2 nights and keep the change.' I ended up forking over 2 gold, getting 2 nights, and getting 4 silver back. 

And thus, the three of us headed out to check out the town for a while. 

Wonder what that green dudes deal was. 

16