Chapter 42 – Getting some sleep.
173 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I find that one can get a lot of good thinking done while they lie awake in bed, with no other goal than falling asleep. Well, at least, thinking that seems good in the moment, but, in the morning, you either forget it entirely or realize that what you initially thought was so profound or such a great idea is nothing more than the product of tiredness educed madness, which is to say, utter ridiculousness. But, sometimes, those moments when one's trying to think about nothing can produce something truly wonderful. (Even if it's y'know, bonkers.) 

S and I continued our training for a while, and we lost track of time. I don't really know how much time had passed. Somewhere between a half an hour and 2 hours, I wager. Nevertheless, it was getting pretty dark. 

toss, swat, toss, swat, toss, miss, t-

Dangit, where'd that thing go? 

Oh, crap, it's almost pitch black, isn't it? That's not good. As ironic as it is, I'm not all that fond of the dark. It's a big tripping hazard, and animals that come out in the moonlight are typically the meanest. Also, well, nastier fellows tend to operate in the dark. Stirs up bad memories, y'know? 

I put my hand up to my head. It's a strange feeling, to say the least.

Anyways, it's about time for bed. Caffeine's starting to wear off, it's dark, it's creepy, we gotta go. 

"Yo, S." I began. "We should head back to the inn." 

The sand that had been orbiting around S flew back into the bags on his belt. Then, S got up and stretched. I can't imagine how uncomfortable sitting like that for that long has to be. Yikes. Wonder what the point of all that was, anyways? "Right, lets heahuahaa..." S began, but he was interrupted by a yawn.

Taking the liberty of assuming he was gonna say something along the lines of '...let's head back.', I opened the holes and warped us near the inn. I'm not super cautious about anyone seeing us, 'cus it's, like, super late, I doubt anyone's gonna be out on the streets at this point. 

Unfortunately, as we stepped through, there was 1 guy, just wandering around the streets. They seemed to be pacing, back and forth, back and forth, as if they were worried about something. Initially, I thought it was the green guy, 'cus he strikes me as the type of guy to weirdly pace around town in pitch darkness, but the walk was all different. I think they were a bit taller, too, and the clothes were all different, but it's a little hard to tell much of anything in the darkness.

Somehow, I think they managed to spot us, even in this darkness. I couldn't really tell, but it seemed like they recoiled a bit as their head turned to us. 

Uh, crap, uh, I peek over behind the inn, moved the entrance hole there, and then S and I leapt back through the hole and I closed it. 

Alright, honestly, I'm not sure what I was hoping to accomplish by doing that, but, maybe, if we're lucky, they'll think this weird scenario was all a dream. Yeah, that's it. I peeked over from behind the inn to look at them, but I couldn't see crap. 

"Let me see" S said. I guess he must've been able to tell that I couldn't see crap. I moved out of the way and let him peek. Not sure what he's gonna accomplish, though, I mean, he's got good eyes, sure, but it's, like, almost pitch dark. 

After a few moments, S said, in a quick whisper, "He's turned, let's go, now." And then quickly yet quietly headed for the door of the inn. 

By the time S entered the inn, I was already inside. S seemed confused for a brief moment, but quickly realized that I'd just warped. 

The inn was mostly the same as it was when we were here last, but the small, stone fire pit in the center of the inn was lit, just a little bit, as if the fire was about to die, making the whole inn dimly lit. Honestly, pretty neat atmosphere. 

"Right, your holes." S said. "Wait, why didn't you just do that from the start?"

"I, uh, didn't think about that. Sorry." Honestly, I'm not sure why I didn't. I mean, that'd be the most logical move, right? Eh, whatever. I was tired, alright? 

"You oaf." S joked. "Well, I guess I didn't think of it either, so, whateheahuahaa..." S, once again, got cut of by a yawn. We're both rather tired, I suppose. "Anyways, let's hit the hay." 

"Yeah. G'night." I said, As he headed to our rooms. We both got the rooms on the south side of the inn, near the entrance. Mine on the right, nearest to the entrance, S's on the left.  

"'Night" S said as we entered our rooms. 

The rooms were small, with just a bed, a small dresser, and a few feet of standing room. Well, I guess it's just a cheap place to sleep, doesn't need to be huge. 

Thus, I lay down in bed, got under the covers, and...

Y'know that feeling when it's been a long day, you're tired, and, right now, you want nothing more then to hop in bed, get some sleep, and start an early, productive day tomorrow, only to find that the instant you get comfortable, you're hit with a surge of pure, unadulterated energy? And soon, the idea of sleep becomes a distant memory, as all you can feel is all consuming dread as you realize the nightmare shows now sign of ending any time soon?

Yeah. Not a great feeling, to be honest. So, uh...

The ceiling is real nice these days, isn't it? All that, uh, wood, I guess. 

...

...

I wonder how long we'll actually stay in town? I mean, there's little keeping us here, but we also don't really have a reason to leave. Honestly, I'm fine either way, so long as S is there. Still, if nothing else, this town is pretty weird, at least, based off my first impression. Between that weird green guy, the mysterious innkeeper, and... Michaus, whatever his deal is, there are some pretty interesting people around here. Also, there's that bridge. 

Oh crap! Dangit! I forgot to ask about that bridge! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this is gonna kill me! 

Why does a small town need a bridge that wide?! I mean, I get it, travelling merchants are probably essential for a small town like this, 'cus I doubt that farm can sustain an entire town, so a wide bridge makes sense. But that thing looks like it was built for siege battles! You could probably build a large, thriving settlement just on the bridge, and you'd still have room for 3 lanes of traffic!

And who maintains it? Does the state do it, or is it just someone in town? If it is, do they get paid? I guess people probably don't really cross it much, say for the odd traveler and probably merchants, so the upkeep probably isn't all that hard, I guess someone could just do it as, like, a hobby, or something. But, now that I'm thinking about it, that bridge was, like, way too clean, right? Like, the stones were glistening in the sun. Normal bridges, even clean ones, don't just do that.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there's totally a 100% chance that bridge is tied to some super cool ancient government magical conspiracy, no question. There's no other reasonable explanation. I bet, that there's like, some secret lever somewhere, that reveals a secret military industrial complex right under the town, and it's got like a ton of magical super tank-esque siege weapons that will only be revealed in a time of great need. I just see it now, all those tanks, comin' out of the ground, stormin' 'cross town, crushing stuff, explosions everywhere, and then they make it to the bridge, and boom, camera pans out, revealing the sheer amount of them as cool a villainous orchestral theme plays, and then it's revealed that the stones on the bridge actually power boost the tanks with magical solar energy and

heahuahaa

My eyelids started feeling heavy.

explosions...

real cool...

Finally, I fell asleep. 

11