Chapter 63 – (almost) Dungeon Delving! Getting there!
140 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The three of us headed towards the woods, where the ruins are, probably. Otherwise it'd be a little weird for Michaus to take us there. 

The same woods with all the giant boars Michaus always seems to be running out with. Y'know, I don't know what's scarier, the suspicious amount of the things he's able to pull out of there, or the fact that he's able to kill boars like that on his own at all. I mean, I know boars aren't exactly the most powerful thing ever, but in terms of normal forest animals, they're kinda up there. Especially compared to the average, like 5th grader or whatever. 

Then I took a look at his greatsword and bulky friggin armor he has on everywhere, at seemingly all times. I guess 'average' isn't something that applies to him. At least, from my perspective. Or maybe that's what's normal here? Well, Amelia, the duke's kid, seemed mostly pretty kinda normal, as far as things go. Well, I guess she's a bit younger than Michaus. And I wasn't really with her that long, so maybe I'm assuming wrong. She could also be some crazy powerful child/big game hunter. 

For some reason, the image of a super-powered little girl with blonde hair gave me the weirdest sense of deja vu... And also great unease. In my stomach. As if I'd been punched in the gut, twice, and one of those times with some sort of large rock. 

That's weird. I'm gonna think about something else.

Michaus and S are getting farther and farther away. See, they're doing a bit of a jog, probably because they're excited, expecting a fight. I, however, am a little injured from a previous bout, and am just taking a leisurely stroll. Y'know, hands in pockets, slow walk, taking in the sights. Beautiful day today, but I already observed that earlier. Kinda just watching a re run right now, so to speak. 

Oh, and I'm not worried about getting too far away and thus separated from 'em. So long as I can see them, I can just warp a little behind them and be good. 

Actually, I've done that several times already. Yeah, now that I'm actually moving my legs and such, and not, like, sitting down, it's, uh, a little more difficult than I thought it was gonna be. Any faster than this and it's kinda... Ehh. So, I'm moving a lot more slowly than I had initially intended. Yeah, maybe my stroll is less 'calm, cool guy taking in the sights', and more '80 year old man.'

Well, that's not so bad. It means I have more time to take in the sights! Like the... Plants? No, I already looked at plants today. Uh... S? No, I look at him all the time! Uh... Michaus's armor? No, I don't know anything about armor! 

Actually, there is one thing I am curious about. How's he, like, not smell like moldy socks under all that armor? Does he, like, wash it? 

Oh, maybe he just uses those shower can thingies. Oh, that reminds me, I'm running low on those. Ol' stabby from earlier went and broke one of mine, and I've used a number of them... I guess I oughta stock back up, soon. 

Hmmm... It'll be a while before we actually reach the forest, even at their pace... I could totally, like, slip out now, and, if I'm quick. I can buy a couple and be back before anyone realizes I'm gone! 

I'll take a look from the sky, using the holes, just to make sure, don't want perspective to mess me up... Yeah, I should be good. Oh yeah, plenty of time.

Alright, I'll create a hole behind the inn, and then head over to the shop. I guess I don't necessarily have to shop here in Basenholm, but, since I'm  gonna be living here, I oughta familiarize myself with the place and support local business, right? Plus, the last time I went to the shop, I think I made a poor first impression. Rather, Catface did, but I was associated with her. 

I created the holes, and stepped through. Before I stepped out from behind the inn, I made sure to peek over and check that Zramazos and Charolette aren't looking.

Ow ow ow! Turned on my foot, ow ah crap ah frick ah-

Okay just... Relax for a sec... Deep breaths... Hooh... Okay. That wasn't that bad. Nothings broken. We're good. Everything's good. 

Just gotta, ah, geez, uh, peek over. Yeah, don't think anyone's lookin, yeah.

Alright, uh... time to head to the shop. It's just next to the cola machine, so it's close. I'm there in no time at all. 

The shopkeep seemed to be reading something as I walked in. Didn't quite catch what. 

She put the book down as I entered, and sort of glared at me. "You again? Hm. Where're your friends?" 

"Out." I said.  Man, she seems a lot... bigger when it's just the two of us in here. Like a wrestler or something. That stabby fellow was lucky he tried to rob me and not this place.

"I see. Well, whaddaya want? More parchment?" She said. She kept an eye on me the whole time I was there. Guess she's a little suspicious of me. Ordinarily, I'd think 'Rude!' or something, but given Catfaces behavior last time, it seems fair.

"Nah, got any of..." I pulled out one of those shower in a can thingies. "These things?" 

"Ah, yeah. Only 2 per customer, though." She said. Huh. Wonder why that is?

"K. How much?" I said, reaching into my pocket for my coins.

"3 silver. Each." She said. What?! That's, almost DOUBLE the normal price! That's insane!

"K." I said, fiddling with my coins. Ah, shoot. Do I got 6 silvers? Ugh, I don't really wanna check. "Uh... can I also get 4 silver worth of that?" I said, pointing towards fishing line, mostly randomly. 

She looked a little confused. "Wait, are you actually a fisherman?" She asked, putting the shower can thingies on the counter.

I shrugged. Mostly on pure reflex. I didn't want to explain that I was too lazy to see if I had exact change.

Oh, wait, I probably could've just gotten change for a gold... Whelp. Too late now. 

"Well, doesn't matter to me, anyway." She said, putting a spool of the stuff on the counter. "That'll be 1 coin."

I put a gold coin on the counter.

"Pleasure doing business." The shopkeep said more than a little half heartedly. Quarter heartedly. Hehe. 

I nodded, pocketed my things, and left the shop. I felt her gaze on me the entire time. Spooky. I wonder, is that standard procedure for her, or does she just think I'm suspicious?

Anyways, I headed back to the spot behind the inn, so I could safely warp back to S and Michaus. Well, a ways behind them, at least. 

Oh, man. I should've bought more paper while I was there! Ahk, she even mentioned it! Aaaaagh, stupid, stupid! 

I've always been pretty bad at shopping.

Regardless, I warped back to the boys. Just in time, too. We're about to head into the woods proper. How... Exciting. Terrifying. Kinda cool though. 


'Hmph. What a weird kid.' The shopkeeper thought, making sure everything was where it was when Beyes came in.

'Well, guess he hasn't tried to take anything yet, 'least.' She thought as she concluded that everything was in its place. 'Still don't trust 'im as far as I can punt 'im, though. No normal kid'd be able to maintain a poker face while I'm starin' 'em down. Don't care what Michaus says, somethin's weird about that guy, that's for sure.' She is quite confident in her piercing gaze, and with good reason. Her gaze alone has deterred many a petty thief. The ones who weren't were deterred by violence. 

'Ah... Maybe I'm being dramatic. He is but a boy, after all.' She reasoned to herself.

She picked her book back up, and resumed reading.

'Wait, why'd he pull a Bubbler out of his pocket when he was buyin' 'em? Why didn't he just ask for 'em?' 


 

8