Chapter 70 – Talking about nothing to stave off boredom.
98 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After S and I left Heremays's shop, we began wandering around town, blending in among all passersby and the guards, thinking about what we should do next. 

"Truth be told, it's a little jarring to see you in normal clothes. You wear them well, though." S began.

"Thanks." I said. Well, it's a nice change of pace, if nothing else. That said, I definitely prefer wearing normal clothes. Well, my normal. Not this worlds normal. I mean, this is still comfortable, but it's a little hard to get used to. Plus, the lack of pocket space unnerves me. 

"Gotta say, I'm surprised you and Heremays hit it off so well. Truth be told again, I was hoping I'd get to laugh at you being weirded out by him." 

"I am ever so glad you're always looking out for me, S." I said, dripping with sarcasm. 

"Of course." He said with a mischievous grin on his face.

"Well, I was a little creeped at first, but I was glad to see we shared the same eye for aesthetic." Well, for some things, at least. A lot of those robe designs back there were more than a little bonkers.  

"Right. Well, I guess that's good too."

"Yeah. Oh, speaking of, is Heremays an elf?" I asked.

S looked confused. "... A what?"

"Y'know an elf. Like from..." Wait, I guess, in this world, it wouldn't be fantasy, would it? "rrrreal life? Maybe? Or... Maybe not, actually, i dunno..." my voice kinda trailed off for most of that. I'm not confident in these declarations. 

S seemed to think about that for a bit. "Elf... Why is that familiar?" He muttered. "What are those?" He asked.

"Well... Usually..." I began. Uhhh... Yeah, actually what are Elves? "Uh, They're incredibly lithe... Typically. Kinda effeminate, sometimes, I think... got pointy ears... they live for... a while? A long while. Usually. Oh, and they're tall. Except when they're not... Like, when they're around jolly old men... Y'know, I have no idea. Actually, I'm spewing garbage, forget it." I gave up.  

"Right, can't say I got a word of that, but... As far as I know, as weird that guy is, he's just a regular guy. Probably."

"Yeah. Probably." I still think he's an elf. 

We turned into another part of the shopping area of town as we continued our walk. This part was mostly filled with food stalls, restaurants and the like. This whole area screams 'sensory overload.' There weren't too many people in this area at this point, though there did seem to be a strangely high amount of guards.

"Right, dinner's still a ways out, wanna grab a bite real quick?" S said. 

I looked around. Don't get me wrong, everything looked good, but, "Nah, I'm not all that hungry right now. Unless you wanna get something."

"Eh, me neither. I'm just bored."

It's only been, like, a minute since we did something! 

"Well... This is a nice part of town, isn't it?" I said, admittedly also trying to stave off boredom.

"Yeah, it's nice. Especially right now, between the lunch and dinner rushes. At that point, you're just as likely to get trampled as you are to get something to eat."

Which is to say, very likely, I wager. Oh, speaking of injury, "Oh, I oughta replenish my stock of medical supplies." I used a lot earlier. Bandaging open wounds was a little harder than I thought it was gonna be. 

"Right, let's stop by the general store, then."

It didn't take us all that long to head to the general store. Though, we did pass a surprising amount of guards on our way there. Is there, like, a holiday coming up?

Anyways, doesn't look like we'll be spending too much time here in the general store, either. I was tempted to buy some snacks while I was there, but I didn't want to eat them right away, I don't know where I'd put them, and most importantly, my coin pouch is a lot lighter than I thought it was... I think I've been spending too much money on cola. Thinking about it, that cola I keep buying is crazy expensive. 1 gold for 2 cans means that it's 5 silver a can... That's as much as a nice meal at the inn! As much as it pains me to say this... I think I'll have to lay off the cola. Just for a while, till S and I run a few more jobs and I have some comfortable savings. 

Which means I'll probably have to fight, and probably kill more stuff... Quite the career I have, isn't it?  I'm basically trading lives for carbonated beverages.

Anyways, yeah, we're just gonna buy some medical supplies and head out. 

...

Y'know, speaking of cola, I just remembered, I warped the cola I was still drinking back to the inn in Basenholm. Ah well.  It only had a couple sips left, and is probably flat at this point, anyways. 

...

Oh, who am I kidding, I'm totally gonna finish it.

"Uh, one sec, gotta... Grab something." I said to S, just before we made our way to the counter. I quickly slinked back into one of the small aisles, and, after briefly checking if anyone was watching, made a small hole back to my room at the inn, and reached through.

Alright just gotta - oop, knocked that over, it's fine, I'll pick it up later. Right, which one is,  ah there it- wait, nope, wrong one. Uhhh... That one! Yeah, that's it. I pulled it out, and took a sip.

Which happened to be the last one. Also, yeah, it was flat.

Still worth it, though.  

I crushed the empty can for some reason. I don't really know why. It just felt right at the time. I threw the can back through the hole, and into the pile of crap in my room.

Alright, now to buy the medical supplies. Y'know, the thing we're here for. 

"Right, did you just-" S asked as I returned.

"Yep." I said. 

"I see." 

The clerk at the counter seemed confused. 

Thus, we paid for the medical stuff, I threw it into the pile of crap in my room in Basenholm, and it was barely any closer to dinner time. Once again, we began aimlessly wandering the streets, looking for something to do. And, once again, I couldn't help but notice...

"Right, Beyes, am I crazy, or are there a lot of guards out today?" S said basically exactly what I was thinking.

"Yeah," On both accounts, I noted to myself. "There does seem to be a lot. Wonder why?"

"Think we should see what's up?"

I shrugged. "Don't have anything better to do."

"Right, I was thinking the same thing."

And thus, S and I began our next quest. Probably harassing officers of the law! How thrilling. 

5