Chapter 83 – Pretty sure this is my first job that doesn’t necessitate incredible violence. Hopefully.
125 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It didn't take me all that long to clean the bed. Mostly because when I say 'clean' I mean 'moving all the stuff somewhere else and deciding that I'll deal with it later.' At the very least, I sorted out what was full and what was empty. All the full stuff on the dresser, the garbage on the floor. 

I'm not sure where to dispose of all this garbage, honestly. I don't wanna litter, but I can't carry all this stuff around. Not in these clothes, anyways. Hopefully they've invented the recycling bin in this world.

S would probably know what to do with these...

... I guess I'll ask the innkeeper in the morning, or something... I'm tired. I gotta get to bed...

... I wonder where S is planning to sleep tonight? I wonder if he's gonna sleep at all?

For a short while, my head was filled with thoughts like these. I was pretty sure S was able to take whatever the mountains could throw at him, but I couldn't stop myself from thinking. About him, about his bout with Catface, about all the things that were said before and after, about his training, and, mostly, about him, and me.  

All of these things raced around my head at about a mile a minute. Despite that, however, I slowly surely drifted away, into the darkness... And... I... slept... 

...

zzzzZZzzzzZZZZZZzZzzzzzzzzzzZzzz...

But I wasn't asleep for very long. At least, it didn't feel very long, anyways. 

Before I knew it, I found myself in what seemed to be an infinite expanse of blue, like a crisp summer sky, only broken by the white beneath my feet, like an endless cloud. 

Wow. Didn't think I'd be back here, any time soon. Actually, come to think of it, why am I here? 

"Hey, buddy!" I heard a familiar voice say, as a familiar form appeared in front of me in a puff of smoke. 

Oh yeah. Guess I should've figured they'd be here. "Didn't we just talk?" I said. I mean, I've barely even had any time to process whatever the heck he was telling me last time.  

"Well, I did say we'd be chatting again in a bit." DYN2 explained. They were wearing golfers clothes, this time. Complete with a full golf bag, with very nice looking clubs. "Plus, it's actually been over 7 hours since we last spoke! You've been sleeping quite well, princess!" 

"I was, at least."

"Nah, you're still sleeping just fine. I'm talking to you in a dream this time. Pretty cool, huh? So, uh, no pinching yourself, please."

 "Alright."

"Anyways, I know this is a bit of an awkward time and all, but... Would you mind doing me a little favor?" He smiled weirdly as he said that. 

A favor? Bit weird for them, of all people, to ask for a favor, right? "Sure, I'm free." I said, regardless. 

Oh, wait a minute, hold on, I have things I wanna ask. "I mean, uhm, I'll do it, but you've, uh, gotta answer some things, first." I said, a little awkwardly.

"Seems easy enough. Fire away!"

"Okay, uh..." How do I explain this... "So, what's the deal with, like, my body."

DYN2 took a deep breath, and looked at me with faux seriousness. "Well, buddy... There comes a time in every mans life-"

"I swear, if you're about to start talking about puberty, I'm pinching myself." 

"Man, not even letting me get the joke out? Rough crowd." They said, looking disappointed. "Anyways, you're asking about how your body doesn't seem to get hurt correctly, correct?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Well, basically, it's like that because your body isn't exactly... Real."

Eh? "Elaborate."

"Okay, so, basically, your body, back in your previous world was a little... Well, how should I put this... It wasn't exactly... Intact. Those guys,  they made pretty dang sure that you weren't getting back up."

Oh. Oh wow. That's quite the image... My old body, huh.

They continued, "So, when we brought you over to your current world, instead of just copying your old body, we kinda had to start from scratch. It's basically the same, though. Except that you don't really have... Most of your organs anymore."

"Wait, huh?" So, what am I, a zombie, or something? That's kinda cool actually...

"And, now that you're out of blood, there's not much of anything inside you, organs or otherwise. Just... Spooky stuff. And some bones. So, spooky stuff."  

"Wait, wait, but, like, I've eaten things as I've always done, and I've felt my heart beat. Those all involve organs, right?"

"Well, that's the thing, actually... You haven't actually been feeling your heartbeat. Your body just thinks it is. It doesn't realize you don't got one anymore. So you still get that same feeling when you're excited, or scared, or... Whatever else. Weird psychological phenomena." 

"W-what about food? I've digested stuff as normal, right?" 

"Well, kinda. The spooky stuff takes care of that."

"Huh. O-okay..." Uhh...... "But what does all of this mean, in practice? And what is 'spooky stuff'?"

"Well, it means a number of things, really. For one, now that you're out of blood, you're not getting any more, so, hope you weren't planning on being a donor. Pain and all that's gonna be a little weirder than you're used to, too. Oh, and you don't actually need to eat, sleep, or even breathe anymore."

"What? Then why-" 

"It's because your body doesn't quite get it. It still thinks that it needs all of those things, and tells you that, too. That's why you still feel hungry, thirsty, tired, and the need to breathe, but, ultimately, you don't need to fill any of those needs to live. Actually, your body would eventually figure all this out if you deprived yourself of those things for a week or so. You'd just have to endure your body acting like it's on the brink of starvation, dehydration, and exhaustion for a while. After that, though, think of the savings!" 

"Yeah, I'll pass." 

"Suit yourself. Anyways, things should mostly work as you're used to them working, with some minor tweaks. Over all, your current body is a lot more resilient than your old one. Just a little wackier." They said that last bit with jazz hands, for some reason. 

"Huh... And what about the 'spooky stuff'?"  

"Ehhh... It's kinda like magic, buuuut it isn't. It's all sorts of things, really. It's complicated." 

"Oh. Okay. Uh... Anything else?" I asked.

"You don't need to use the bathroom anymore." DYN2 said.

"Oh. Cool."

...

An awkward silence filled the... Space, for a few moments.

"That all?" DYN2 asked.

"Oh, uh, yeah." I said. "That works."

"Great. So, you willing to hear me out?" 

"Oh, uh, yeah." To be perfectly honest, I forgot about that whole favor thing.

"Alright, well, see, the guys suddenly asked me to go out golfin'" DYN2 said, gesturing to the golf bag. Honestly, I thought he was just carrying that around for kicks. "And there's no way I'm gonna refuse the guys, obviously."

"'The guys?' 'You mean mean, like, some of the other parts of yourself? Cus, you, like, split, or someth-"

"Don't worry about it. Point is, I'm gonna be gone for most of the day today, y'know? And, well, it was such short notice, I didn't have time to hire a babysitter..."

What? "Wait, you have a kid? Or is that, like, another part of you, or..."

"Nah, yeah, I have a kid. Sweet as an angel, just the cutest little thing. Anyways, you'd be doing me a huge favor if you looked after her for me. Just for today."

"Wait, so, like, is there a mother? Or..."

"Don't worry about it."

"...Okay... So, you want me to babysit your child? You know that my normal job typically involves killing thing that, in turn, try very hard to kill me, right?" Not that I actually intend to do anything risky today, but the point still stands.  

"Nah, it's fine. She's an immortal, she'll be okay."

"Oh. Ok, I guess that makes sense." It really doesn't, but I know better than to question things here too much. Please ignore all the questioning that took up a majority of this interaction up until this point. "Yeah, I'm free. So, how's this gonna work, anyways? Like, will she just hang with me, or am I gonna have to just hang around here?" 

"Well, I can't have you in here for long, naturally. So, she'll be with you, in your world. All you've gotta do is 'hang' with her for a while. Just don't do anything weird, got it?" He said that last sentence with a seriousness I wasn't quite used to. 

"K. When are you leaving?" 

"Let's see, in about..." DYN2 looked at their wrist, as if looking at a watch. Which was peculiar, because there was no watch there. "Eee, about 10 minutes from now, we gotta wrap this up. Okay, so, you're gonna wake up in a bit, you can introduce yourselves then. I think you'll get along swell. Ciao!" 

"W-wait, where is she gonna-"

I didn't get the opportunity to finish that question, as, before I knew it, DYN2 put his hands together in a familiar way, and, next thing I knew, I was falling. Next next thing I knew, I was back in my bed back in the inn.

And, as I awoke, I saw the girl I'd be spending the rest of the day with,

standing in the pile of garbage I made earlier.

3