Chapter 93 – A long time spent doing very little.
100 5 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Uh, sorry about all that." I said as Sis and I left the inn.

"Eh, don't worry about it." Sis said. I kinda felt like I should treat her to something for making her sit through that, but she doesn't eat, and her only hobby that I know of is fishing, and I don't know the first thing about that. "Where to next?" She said. 

I thought about that for a moment. For what feels like the first time since I came here, I have nothing else to do today. And the days not even half over yet. Normally, at this point, something weird would come up out of nowhere or S would say something like 'Right, plenty of time left to run a job and be back by lunch!' but, now... Nothing. "Dunno." I said, having collected my thoughts.

...

Anyways, normally, seeing the whole day in front of me, I'd just, like, grab a book, or watch a show, or play a game or something, but, over here, I don't really have those options. Dang illiteracy. And why couldn't someone invent a magic TV? Those came out around the same time as refrigerators, right? Maybe? Oh, who cares. 

Man, I need a hobby. 

"You wanna do anything?" I asked, having come to no useful conclusions myself.

Sis shrugged. 

...

We aimlessly walked around the edge of town for a while.

OH! "We could look for names." I suggested.

"That works." Sis said.

...

"How are we gonna do that?" She asked.

Hm. Good point. Uhhhh... "... We could look at a book of baby names?" I suggested the first thing that came to mind.

"Think they'll have a book for that?"

"Maybe." I'm not particularly confident in this assumption.

"Okay." 

Okay, so, the plan going forward is for two children to intently look at baby names, and discuss them together. Also they're clearly several years apart, and look like they could be siblings.

As I thought that, I swear I could hear faint police sirens in the distance. And faint banjo music. 

"Actually, better not do that." I said.

...

After a while, we ended up back in Basenholm. We ended up deciding to go fishing in the river by Basenholm to pass the time, because we really had nothing better to do. Sis seemed pretty excited about it, despite the fact that we had just got done fishing not even an hour ago.

While I obviously don't have fishing supplies, nor the knowledge on how to fish, I figure I can take the opportunity to practice swingin' my sickles around. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I figure I'll figure something out eventually. Probably. Regardless, I oughta at least put in the effort. No sense in S being the only one getting stronger, right? 

...

Oh, but I did make sure to buy one of those cat ear headbands before we left. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it right now, but I have them now, and that's good. Currently it's just sitting in my toolbox with my sickles. 

So, anyways, I warped us to the end of the bridge that leads to Basenholm, and we walked along the edge of the river for a while, looking for a good spot to sit. We probably could have just done it right from the bridge, or at a spot closer to town, but I didn't really want anyone to see me swinging my sickles around like an idiot, so we ended up walking a little ways. 

Anyways, once we got set up, Sis cast her line into the water, and I began swinging around my sickles like an idiot.

I sort of feel like I'm getting the hang of these. At least, I'm beginning to get a feel for the weight. They're still pretty heavy, don't get me wrong, but I think I'm getting better at managing that. At least, with one hand. It's far harder to manage both at once. Which sucks, because just holding one sickle isn't nearly as cool. 

Well, normally, anyways. I can still work with it. It just takes a little... Dramatic flair, is all.

First and foremost, flip up the hood. No matter the amount of sickles, the hood is simply a must for the master of darkness, obviously. Casting dark magic with a normal, exposed head is lame. It's a waste, frankly. 

Second rule, the free arm should either be doing constant wagglin', or it shouldn't be used at all. No half measures. 

When idle, or holding ground or whatever, the free arm should be dangling off, fidgeting, maybe bouncing just a little. Not too much, but just a tasteful amount. Like it's got something to hide. The hand itself should be active, too. Maybe a twitching fist, some wriggly fingers, or even something as simple as fingers slightly spread out, seeming ready to act at any moment. 

When attacking, especially when lunging, have the free arm fly out in the opposite direction. This is a very simple one, but adds so much flair, really gets the blood flowing. This works well by itself, but I must remember that it's wise to keep in mind a few mix ups, to make sure it never goes stale. Like wrapping the arm with my NWTs, a quick show of the vines, or even the simple hand moves from before. Maybe throw in a wicked smile with every strike for a little extra spice. 

Alternatively, a hand placed upon the face, fingers spread out, allowing an eye to viciously peer through, complete with that wicked smile is a classic move, and works a treat if used sparingly. Too much and it gets a little tacky, though. Balance is key.

Lastly, if all else fails, simply putting the off hand in a pocket can add a lot, a sort of aloofness which might be a welcome addition to an otherwise adrenaline filled event, and works great when out of ideas. Another classic. 

Mmmmhmmm. Indeed, these all work nicely. 

It wasn't until I finished my theory crafting and workshopping that I realized how tired I was. I was short of breath after doing all those slashes, jabs, and hand stuff. I'd been doing this for quite some time, much to my surprise. My right arm is beginning to ache, and my left feels like a pool noodle. It's time I sat down for a quick break. Maybe I'll grab a cola in a bit...

I warped my sickle back into the box as I sat down on the grass. I watched as Sis happened to be reeling something in. 

She ended up with some large, greenish fish. She took it off the hook, off the rod, and held it up. She inspected it for a moment, seeming to be pondering something.

The fish, still alive, sort of wriggled as she held it. It didn't seem to like being out of the water. 

After a moment, Sis carefully checked to make sure the hook wasn't stuck in there, threw the fish back into the water, and casted her line out once more. She'd been doing this for a while now. Her movements were short, calculated, smooth, almost robotic in efficiency. Yet, there was a lively and jovial feeling about it, too. 

Casting, waiting, reeling, watching, and releasing. A slow cycle, repeated to infinity.

"Hey, Sis." I said, after I'd caught my breath.

"Wha?" She said in reply.

"How'd you get into fishing?" I asked. It's a bit of a strange thing for someone to get into by themselves, after all. 

She shrugged. "No idea. All I really know is that I've been doing it for at least a few years, now. If I had to guess, I probably just started doing it one day."

"You mean, you just, like, found a lake, sat down, and just... Went?"

"Something like that, anyways. Up There has a way of showing you exactly what you're looking for. Especially if you're not looking for anything." 

...

"I have no idea what that means." I said.

She simply chuckled, and shrugged in reply.

I didn't have any idea what that meant, either.

After a while, her line began to tug once more. She reeled it back in. Another fish. A small, brown one.

I think she held it up a little longer than the other. 

She carefully checked the fish for a hook. "Or, maybe I didn't." She said to herself, as she threw her fish back into the river. 

 

4