Chapter 97 – The crossroads of infinity and nothing.
94 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We sat out there for... Well, we stayed there for a while. I was plenty bored by what I think was the second hour, but we kept going for a while after that. I have no idea how long we were actually out there, but, by the end of it, I could tell without a shadow of a doubt that I was very, very bored.

Now, I'm not a nutcase like SOME people I know, but days like this make it really easy to see where they're coming from. There were several occasions where I could almost feel that knife pressed up against my back, and I couldn't help indulging in that fleeting, that terrible excitement, all to pass ever briefer moments of this mundane existence.

I figure that can't be a good thing. I bet it starts out like this, but one thing leads to another and suddenly you're plummeting towards the earth at maximum velocity and screaming about turf or something, or dressing up in weird robes from who knows where and pretending to rob people on lonely roads, all for, like, 10 minutes of enjoyment on the verge of death, or, at least, imprisonment. 

Not that I'm talking about anyone in particular, or anything. 

Regardless, here I sit. The entire world and more lay out before me, and yet, here I sit, little more on my mind than sticks and metal. And here I will continue to sit, until the universe forces me to stand or something gives me something interesting to do.

. . .

I could take up chess. I can probably make a chess board. Can't be too hard. And I know what all the pieces do. I could do it. Play chess by myself for hours, and hours, and hours... Oh, maybe watches. That's a hobby, right? There are people that like watches. Probably. I think I've heard of people like that. I could certainly use a watch right now. Watches surely exist in this world, right? Clocks oughta, at least. There's gotta be clocks somewhere. I can't recall seeing one, but I'd bet they've just, like, blended into the background, or something. No way this world don't got clocks. At least a sundial, or something. Can you put that on a wrist? Like, a real small... Actually, what is a sundial, anyway? How do they work? I know they were, like, really old clocks, but that's basically it. Don't even know what they look like. Prolly use the sun, or shadows, or somethin'...

. . .

Uuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhh, I'm so booooooooreeeeeedddduhhhhhhhh. 

What did people do before television or the printing press and stuff... Man, this is such a- 

Wait a minute... Hold on... Television... That's... That's it! It's so easy!

AHAH! I SHALL NEVER BE BORED AGAIN! 

YES! THIS IS IT! 

It's genius, yet almost comical in it's simplicity. Makes you wonder how I didn't think about this earlier. 

NEVER UNDERSTOOD THE TRUE APPLICATIONS OF THIS POWER. UNTIL NOW. UNTIL THIS VERY MOMENT. HERE, UPON, THIS RIVER, THIS IS WHERE I WILL ASCEND AND BECOME THE G-

"You say somethin'?" Sis said.

Immediately, my consciousness was ripped from being mere steps away from the place man was never meant to go, and mercilessly shoved back into this vessel of mortal flesh. "Uh... Nah." I said. 

"Hm. Thought I heard you mumblin' about something." 

"Oh, uhm, sorry." 

Sis shrugged. 

. . .

Okay, maybe I should calm down a little bit. 

So, uh, yeah, basically what I'm gonna do is use the holes to watch people like do stuff. Even if I'm bored out of my mind, surely there's someone who isn't, right? I just gotta find an interesting place, look for an interesting person, and follow them. Now, I know that sounds a lot like stalking, but it's not. Really. It's more like, uh, watching a movie. Except they don't know that they're the lead actor. 

It's not weird. This is normal. This is normal. It is. I mean, it's not like I'll be watching them sleep, or using the bathroom or anything. Just a little friendly viewing. That's fine. It's not a crime to happen to see something fun happen, is it? And if I just so happen to use supernatural powers to cause me to happen to see a few more things, that's skin off who's back? No ones. This is entirely fine, and reasonable, and normal, and justified, and... It's fine. It's just like a movie. Or, better yet, reality television! Yeah! Reality television, baby! Here we go! 

I sat down on the grass, and took some time to get myself in a comfortable position. Kinda wish I had a blanket or something. Maybe some snacks, too. That'd be real nice. Well, I'm sure I'll be doing this again. It's such a great idea, after all. Next, I created a hole, and spent some time maneuvering that in the air to get it juuuuuussst right. Eventually, I decided it'd be better to make the hole smaller, about the size of a tablet from my previous world, and held it a little above my lap. It was a comfortable position, and I figure I can move everything a bit it if my back or my neck gets tired. Additionally, keeping it small just seemed like a good idea. I don't want someone to see me, after all. That probably wouldn't be good.

Well, now that that's sorted out, just one thing left. Figuring out what to watch. It's a tale as old as time, really. Or, at least, as old as the ability to change the channel. A million things to watch, yet settling on just one, even for a moment, is a herculean task. 

Maybe just above town? That place with all the shops? Might be something interesting going on there. Might be able to catch a few good deals, or something... Maybe I could stake out at the guild hall, see some actual seasoned adventurers in action. Or maybe I could just fly around for a while. See what birds see. That could be fun. Though, actual flight might be a bit awkward to control, since I'll only be able to move it where I can see, and I'll be looking down, mostly, so I'd have to fly at a weird angle.

But that's still a good idea, actually. I didn't really consider the concept of moving. I could go explore the edges of the world if I wanted to, all without moving an inch. That could be fun.

Or maybe I could...

. . .

After about what I think was half an hour, maybe more, I don't know, I began to realize the tragedy of having all the power in the world, but only weak, mortal hands to hold it with. That no matter what, no matter how strong we become, no matter how many goals we reach, heights we climb, monsters we tackle, monuments we conquer, or any amount of other vague success metaphors, there is one universal, utterly inescapable truth of our people. We're doomed to sit on the crossroads of infinity and nothing. 

And we'll never figure out what to watch on TV. 

. . .

Eventually, I just started people watching from the rooftops. 

It was kinda fun. I'll probably do it again. 

4