Chapter 99 – Recalling things that aren’t important until a vague threat that leads to the next special chapter.
111 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The rest of our visit to Charolette's house wasn't all that eventful. Nobody was able to come up with a use for the toy cars(?), because, I mean, they're toy cars. You just kinda look at them. Maybe put them on a track, or something. Little more than novelties or kids toys. I think, at least. I dunno, I bet there are collectors who would kill me for saying that, but, for most people, they're little more than hunks of plastic.

Or so I thought, until I realized that plastic... Might exist in this world? My gut tells me it doesn't, but they got refrigerators and flushing toilets, so... Anyways, these felt a lot like plastic, which I found confusing, so I asked about it.

"What're these made out of?" is what I think I said. 

I think Charolette responded with "Eh, just wood and paint." or something. Which I found surprising, because it really didn't feel like wood at all. It really was indistinguishable from plastic. I'm not even sure how that would be possible. And they were also really well painted, no imperfections that I could find, anyways. I wondered how long she spent on this? Has this been, like, a long term project? Surely she didn't make all of these in the one afternoon since that thing with the bow, right?

"Huh. Neat." I probably said in response.

And Michaus ate several oranges. He got juice all over his hands, which was kinda funny. Ended up washing his hands off with some water magic and a towel, instead of just, like, walking over to the sink. I thought that was pretty cool.

One thing I didn't realize about water magic how convenient it is. See, the water just goes away after a while, or once it's dispelled, and it doesn't leave a trace, like, things it makes wet don't stay wet once it's gone. So, if you were outside, and covered in mud, or snow, or blood or something, you could just submerge yourself in magic water, let it all flow to the ground, say goodbye to the water, and boom, all clean, not even wet. Well, 'all clean', except for the massive puddle of whatever that's now at your feet. 

Only works outside, though. 'Cus inside, you still gotta clean the puddle, which kinda defeats the purpose. Still, it can be used to move and isolate the grime, which makes things a lot easier. I bet it makes washing dishes a dream. Cool stuff.

Still not nearly as cool as dark magic, though. Nothing beats that. Once I figure out how to do cool stuff like spewing pure darkness out of my hands or raising the dead (actually, still not quite sure if that one's alright, morally, but I'm sure I'll figure out eventually.), crap like water magic wont be able to hold a candle.

Actually, based off how Catface described magic, I should be able to do stuff like that already, but I haven't really gotten it to work like they've described.

Well, I'm sure I'll get it eventually. I have all the time in the world, after all. 

Anyways, not much else happened while we were there. Nothing particularly interesting, anyways. It was getting a little awkward, so we checked out a little early. 

We walked through town for a bit, but nothing particularly interesting happened there, either, except for when the guards sorta seemed to  stare as we passed. I really don't know what's up with those two. They kinda creep me out. 

"You mentioned that you've watched this town before, right?" I asked Sis, once I figured we were out of earshot of anybody. "Got any idea what's up with those guards? Or the innkeeper, for that matter?" 

Sis shrugged. "I know that those guards are twins, but other than that, all I really know is that they're weird. Nobody seems to mind, though. And I have no idea what's up with that innkeeper guy." She explained. "I've only really paid much attention to Charolette." 

"Oh. Neat." I said. I wonder why that is.

We continued walking for a bit, and Sis looked at her wrist, as if looking at a watch. Though, there wasn't a watch there. Then, she mumbled something I couldn't quite understand. All I was able to make out was "still got a couple hundred words left..." Not quite sure what she meant by that, to be honest. Probably just heard her wrong, I wager. 

She tapped her chin like a cartoon character who's thinking about something, for a moment, before pointing out to the vast, empty fields outside of town. "Let's discuss this further as we walk in those vast, empty fields outside of town, for, roughly, I dunno, about a minute or so." She said. 

I thought that was a pretty strange thing to say out loud, but I didn't question it. 

"Generally, it's rare that I watch the same person more than a few times. There's a lot of people in existences, so it seems a waste to focus on anyone in particular." She explained as we walked through the vast empty fields outside of town. 

"That makes sense." I said. 

"That said, I find Charolette quite entertaining. She's probably one of the most intelligent people in this world. Granted, that isn't saying all that much." 

"That's not very nice."

"Eh, it's true. Aside from the exceptionally rich, most people in this world only have what you would consider, like, a 5th grade education. If that. And most of it is spent learning the art of not getting mauled or magic'd to death. And you wouldn't believe the drinking age. Overall, even you are probably smarter than, like, 80% of the population."

"Wow. That's kind of sad." Also, rude! Tonally, at least. The words themselves were nice.   

"Yeah, well, what can you do. Anyways, fortunately for Charolette, her family is exceptionally rich, so she's got a decent education. But even beyond that, her knack for making things is pretty nuts. Though, she has a weird tendency to only make things that already exist in other realities."

"Yeah, I've noticed. How's that happen?" 

"No idea." 

Sis peeked at her wrist again, though there was still nothing there. "Do you happen to feel nauseous, or tired at this moment?" She asked.

"Huh?"  What kind of question is that? "Uh... no, not particularly." 

"Hm. Alright, guess we still got a bit longer. Guess I'll finish this up." She said. 

"What are you talking about?" I finally asked. 

"You'll know in a bit." She said dismissively. "Anyways, despite her genius, she's also kind of an idiot."

"That's not very nice." I said for the second time, and not thinking about whether or not the bit before that was a threat. 

Sis shrugged, and continued her explanation. "She's incredibly unfocused, rarely actually finishing anything she starts. And even when she does, she just shows it off, and moves on to something else, or occasionally back to something she was into ages ago that seems entirely irrelevant to the present day. Only thing she doesn't do is magic. For some reason, she's pretty adamant about that."

"Really? Seems like a waste."

"Think she gets some weird pride from it. It's petty funny." 

Is it? 

"Anyways," Sis continued, "she's pretty fun to watch. Been pretty helpful, too. She helped me make this baby," She said, eluding to her sheathed fishing pole."in an abstract sense." 

"Huh... That's pretty... cool." I said, a little slowly. 

Suddenly, my eyelids felt heavy, and I began to yawn. I was suddenly and inexplicably rather tired. What's up with that? It's, like, barely after lunchtime. Oh, speaking of, we haven't eaten yet... maybe we should... do that... next.

"Oh, there it is." Sis said. "Man, that's a freaky look. Anyways, see you on the other side, bro."

"What?" I managed to get out... As I began to... Blink... heavily...

What's... 

'Special'? Where the heck... Did that come... fro-

zzzZZZzzzzzzzZzzzz...

4