Chapter 103 – A far more rational setup.
92 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I don't think I slept well that night. I can't really be sure, it was all a blur, really, but I woke up a little... Off. A little tired, a little angry, hair's all out of whack... Colors... seem... I dunno. Off. I was off. Things were off. 

I know one thing for sure, I dreamt. I can't recall what that dream contained, though. Whatever it was, it's probably the cause of my current offness, I wager. I tried my best to remember, but I got nothin'. Only, like, visions of emotions I might've felt. It was pretty irritating, actually. But, despite all that, I knew for certain that I dreamt. Because, for whatever reason, I had my sickles in my hands. I guess I could have just woken up and grabbed them during the night and forgotten about it or something, but... Well, I have no counter argument to that. But I just get the feeling I grabbed them while I was dreaming, so that's that. 

Anyways, for whatever reason, my sickles were covered in a now familiar looking inky blackness. 

Which, needless to say, I found a bit concerning. That feeling was also rather familiar to me at this point. Even down to the wording. 

Just like before, as soon as I took notice, the darkness receded into my arms once more. 

Well, it happened twice, whatever it was. Guess that means it wasn't a fluke. I guess it could've been a fluke that happened twice, but it probably wouldn't be wise to put too much stock into that theory. I should probably see what's up with this. Maybe Maurice would know? I don't really know how familiar I should be with him, though, since I only know him through S... Well, given his advice, it's not like I have any other options. Guess I'll see what he thinks. 

But, like, maybe around lunch. I don't wanna accidentally wake him up. That'd be rude. 

Anyways, right now, I've gotta get my day started. 

. . . 

Well, maybe I can stand to relax in bed a little while longer. I mean, it's not like I have any obligations, right?

. . .

ahh...

. . . 

I sat there for some time, in a sort of half-sleep. It was nice. Though, the bed wasn't exactly the most comfortable thing in the world, so I could feel it in my back after a while. 

Guess I'll get out now. 

I filled up on theater snacks yesterday, and I was still kinda workin' those down, so I wasn't particularly hungry at the moment, and I decided to skip breakfast. I put my hands together, and created a hole between here and somewhere along the bridge, and I placed it on the door. Thought it'd be novel. It kinda was. 

I'd have teleported directly to Sis, but I figured I should have my morning chat with DYN2, like I usually do. Because, y'know, they might have something useful to input. 

"Gooooooooood morning, sleepyhead!" DYN2 said as I arrived. They were decked out in some 80's looking hippie garb today. Weird. "Hey, this time that's actually pretty accurate!"

I shrugged, and said "'Morning.", as I'd done before. 

"So, how was yesterday?" They asked. "I didn't quite catch most of it." 

Oh, right they were out golfing, weren't they? "Eh, not much. A lotta sitting." A whole lotta sitting, actually... 

"Yeah, from what I gather, you really didn't do... Anything, really. Geez, makes me wonder what you woulda done with your youth had you not had your gray matter removed. Probably loungin' around, only thought being whether or not to grab more chips or somethin'."  

I wanted to refute that, but, frankly, I couldn't. I did that on a fairly regular basis. I mean, it's not like I wanted to be a sedentary, but, y'know, one thing leads to another, you get into a routine... 

"Well, it's not like every day's gonna be eventful. Some days are... Y'know." I attempted to justify myself. 

"I suppose that's fair." They conceded, though they didn't seem happy about it. "And I suppose I should thank you for keeping my daughter out of trouble." 

 "Yeah." I said. I thought back to the giant, flaming bush and the incident with that green fella. "Mostly, anyways." I mumbled to myself. 

"Well, I suppose I should tell you to enjoy your vacation. After all, only a couple days left until..."

He paused for an uncomfortable length of time.

"Well, enjoy your vacation." He said with a smile.

I have conflicted emotions about this. On one hand, this is basically the same thing they did the other day, and, while the ever present looming threat is still plenty intimidating, it sort of just doesn't hit the same the second time around. On the other hand, I do appreciate the additional theatrics they went through this time. So I'm not sure if I should encourage them or if I should scold them for reusing material. 

In the end, I just gave them a thumbs up.

They laughed. Rude.

"Anyways," They continued, "The girl's gonna be with you again. And, you know what, as much as I want to scold you for being boring, feel free to just keep yourself safe today."

"Uhuh." Now, I know that seemed non threatening, but, coming from them, that may as well have been a death sentence. 

"Whelp, that's all I got. Good luck out there, and- oh, uh, 'break a leg.'" they concluded, before disappearing in a ripple in the water. 

Huh? Don't those mean the same thing? Redundant! Foolish!

I decided to walk along the bridge for a moment, collecting my thoughts. Okay, so, they've given me another premonition. Something, probably something unpleasant, is coming in a couple of days. A couple usually means 2, but, I dunno, sometimes people use that term loosely, so I'll add a day or so to the proverbial window of time bad things could happen. So, whatever this is could happen any time from tomorrow to, like, 3 days from now.

I don't really know the degree of the how bad the bad thing is, but, given the fact that I was warned about it, I think it's safe to say that it's probably gonna be fairly dangerous. 

As morally wrong as this probably is, I am secretly hoping that it's more dangerous than not. Because then I'll have an excuse to grab S. Though, if it's dangerous enough that I can't deal with it myself, there's a good chance that it'll affect the people around me, which is, y'know, bad I guess. 

Regardless, I'll try to keep an eye out for things. But no going overboard, this time. Last time this happened, I agonized over it, made the whole day 11 times more annoying than it needed to be. This time, I'm gonna be reasonable about it. I can probably explain the situation to Sis, and I might even tell some guards or something that something might happen some time soon.

Well, hopefully I'll word it better than that, but you get the idea. 

Anyways, having steeled myself and placed myself upon a sensible line of thinking, I put my hands together, and created a hole between here and that spot on the lake, so that I could begin the day proper. 

4