Chapter 120 – It’s not a particularly original joke, or even a clever one, but it’s a classic, dangit.
83 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Whew... Okay, well, up to this point, I've mostly just done 2, 3 skull jobs, like that one with the wolves. Might've done a 4 that one time S and I knocked a bunch of these out, I don't remember. Now, many of these didn't go perfectly, but, for the most part, we got out of them relatively unscathed, and I've been quite content with that. Heck, at this point, I might've even been confident going into a 5, or a 6, should one of them showed up. 

This job, however, has... Uh... 2, 4, 6, wait, no, uh,  5, 10, 15... is that eigh- no, 17. Seventeen. Wait... Yeah. Yep. Seventeen. 

17 skulls! That's, like, over 4 times my previous maximum! 

Okay, well, maybe I can get out of this. Heck, in the first place, there's a possibility she's not even looking at that sheet. I'm probably fine. Totally. No doubt. 

"G-gee, there sure are a lot of opt-"

"Lets do that one." She said, pointing at the spike horse page, to nobodies surprise. 

Thinking quickly, I attempt to grab the one next to it.

"No, the other one."

Thinking quickly, I attempt to grab the other adjacent one.

"Dude, c'mon."

My hand feebly moved towards the poorly drawn mess of color and randomness complete with a generous sparing of tasteless splotches of red. 

"A-are you sure?" I asked as an obviously fruitless last ditch effort. 

"Yes." Sis said, simply deflecting my apprehension.

As much as I want to not do this... I can't really bring myself to say 'no', either. I've been basically dragging her all around lately, and, to be entirely honest, I feel a little bad about it. Curses upon thee, my guilty conscience!

"And, as I said before, we'll both be fine, obviously."

I couldn't help but sigh, just a little. I can only hope that's the truth...  

I went and grab the sheet, as it was placed rather high up, and Sis was a little too short to grab it herself.

"Sweet. Yeah, this'll be good." She said, with just a slightly evil grin making itself apparent. Which was just a little spooky for a number of reasons.

I briefly inspected the sheet. The front side was the cartoon stuff, y'know, the skulls, what I can imagine is some crazy title, and, obviously, the drawing. Nothing particularly useful. The back side, however, was full of useful data, placed into several, seemingly concise paragraphs. 

Well, I assume the data was useful, at least. It was formatted well, which leads me to believe it was written by someone knowledgeable, but, naturally, I cannot read. So, there's that. What I can read, though, is the map on the bottom. The picture part of it, anyways. The footnotes are still runes to me. The map was actually surprisingly detailed, for something that amounts to little more than some drawings, footnotes, and a line. Think I got a pretty good idea as to where we were going. Looked like our destination was... Some sort of really tall thing? It's not a mountain... Crap, I've seen this thing before, I think... What's it called? Ah well, I dunno. Regardless, it was actually pretty far away from town. Not that that's a problem for me, of course. Superpowers, baby! 

Anyways, I handed the sheet to Sis. She would probably get more use of it than I would, I wager. She quickly scanned the thing over. 

. . .

Well, quickly, relative to the amount of text. It was quite a bit, there were several paragraphs. We ended up standing there for-

"Alright, let's go." Sis said.

Not even a whole minute, actually. Huh. 

"Uh... That was fast." I said, a little flabbergasted. Hah. That's a fun word. Flabbergasted.

"Skipped most of it. Just a bunch of dumb lore nobody cares about. The gist is, we go to the place, we go through some stuff, we get to the top, the thing's there and it does something. Didn't say what." Sis explained.

"Oh. Alright." I mean, I guess that makes sense. No sense learning a bunch of information we'll have no use for outside of this specific instance. Still, I can't help but feel bad for the guy that took the time to write down all of it...

"Well, let's get going. It's quite far, so this might take a while." She said, holding up the map.

Our destination was a pretty good ways away, both north and east. Actually, so far away that I question why this was even posted here, in the first place. Like, if this horse-thing were ever to attack people, there are several towns it would probably hit first, according to this map. 

Wait, north east? Is that... Yeah, I think it is.

"I don't know about that." I said.

"Eh? Whatever, let's just get going." 

Sis and I quickly made our way to a conveniently placed alley, and I felt kinda conflicted about not saying anything to the guild lady, but I've already been over this, no need to tread on old ground. 

I put my hands together, and I created a hole between here and the... Thing we're supposed to go. I dunno what it is. It's a big, tall thingy, looks like it's made of stone, several hundred feet tall, flat top. That thing. That's where we're going, and that's where I put us.

"Huh. You been here before?" Sis said as we stepped through.

"Kinda. I figured S and I passed it on our way to Basenholm. Looks like I was right." I explained.

"Isn't Basenholm in the southernmost part of the country? How'd you end up here?"

"We got a bit lost."

"Huh." Sis said, looking skeptical. "Whatever." 

Anyways, we stepped through, I closed the holes, and we gazed up at the tower-esque thing before us. Man, this thing's tall. Also very out of place, given the climate of the area.

At the base of this thing, there was a pretty large and intimidating opening, into a dark, dark cavern, with a bunch of arrows carved into the base of the rock outcropping thingy pointing to it. There was also a sign, also made of rock, with a butt ton of text on it, nearby. Course, I can't read it, and Sis can't be bothered, so it may as well not be there. How novel.

"What're these things called, again?" I asked as we looked up at it. I swear I've heard of these before... But I just can't put my finger on it.

"It's a butte, I think." Sis said.

"I agree that it looks nice, but what is it?"

"What? No, a butte. B-u-t-t-e."

"Oh."

Pfft.

Butte.

Heh.

Butte.

Pfft. 

3