Chapter 126 – The boys goodnight.
89 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sis and I, after a bit of awkward conversation, stepped out of the guild hall. 

Despite the fact that a pretty nasty rainstorm just happened, the ground wasn't at all wet. Though, it was still clear that the storm had passed, what with all the debris and crap scattered around the streets.

People we beginning to exit their hiding places, and we could hear a lot of confused and scared murmuring, most of which involved "what the HELL just happened?" 

I looked up at the newly cleared sky, thinking about all this. It was dark. I could just barely see the moon peeking over the buildings ahead of us. It was then I realized how tired I was. Guess getting limbs torn off and reattached in the span of a couple of minutes really takes it out of you. Who knew? 

Still, there was still some time left in the day... 

"Think we still got time to pick up sleeping bags or bedrolls or whatever?" I asked, still staring at the night sky.

. . .

No response. 

I looked over at Sis, who was staring down at the ground. I couldn't really see her face.

"Yo, Sis? You good?" I asked. I'm not sure what she's thinking, but it's pretty clear that she's unhappy about... Something. I got the feeling I should apologize about... Something, again.

"Yeah." She said, after a moments hesitation, still looking at the ground. "What was your question?"

"Oh, uh, I-I was wondering if any stores are still open."

"Dunno." 

"I-I see." 

. . .

"W-well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to check, anyways."

"Yeah."

Ah. She's always a little short, but right now she's... Crap, what happened after I left? Did the horse do something? Is she mad I ran away? I don't know...

. . .

Now, normally, I don't mind silence like this, but... I got the feeling should probably say something...

"H-hey, what's that thing in your hand?"

She raised her hand slightly, and looked down at it, as if she'd forgotten she was holding anything at all.

"Oh, right. Here." She said, handing it to me, while still looking down at the ground. "Take it. S'possed to be kinda valuable..." 

"Oh, thanks. Uh, to be honest, I'm actually kinda short on cash right now, so this is especially... Good... Haha..." I said, grabbing the horn.

. . .

I'm gonna jump off a bridge.

"A-anyways, g-guess I'll see if the guild guys'll take this... Uh, one sec."

So, I went into the guild hall. The exchange was very brief. The guild lady looked at it for a second, and then looked at some sort of list or something, I dunno, I couldn't see it, and then quickly said that, for items of such value, they need to verify that it's real before I can receive payment. They said it should be done around midday tomorrow. Which is, y'know, pretty fast, I guess... Oh, and, uh, pretty exciting that this thing's worth so much. I'll have to treat Sis to... Something...

Anyways, I was in and out in under a minute. We never made eye contact during the encounter. 

"Uh, l-looks like they gotta verify somethin' or other before, uh... Money..." I said, meeting up with Sis again.

"Makes sense." She said.

. . .

"H-hey, are you sure you're feeling alright? Y-you can-"

"I'm fine." 

"Oh, uh, okay..."

I've never been good in situations like this. Dangit, if only S were here, he'd probably be able to... I dunno, do something...

. . .

I sighed. 

I fiddled around in my pockets for a bit. I basically just had a handful of silvers. Probably enough for a night at a cheap inn. 

"W-well, I'm about ready for bed, I think... Should we head back to Basenholm?" I asked. I figure if we go there, she could at least spend the night fishing. Which might be good? Hopefully? 

"Sure."

. . .

With only the murmur of the town around us and our own footsteps filling our ears, we walked over to a convenient alley, and I warped us behind the inn in Basenholm. It was real dark out there, the only light coming from the moon and the stars, as well as what precious little seeped out from a few windows. I could hear a distant clanking of metalic footsteps from the other side of town. Guess that crusader-y church dude is out, or somethin'. That's... Good. Probably.

"W-well, uh, goodnight, Sis." I said as we walked towards the door to the inn. 

"Yeah."

I entered the inn, and, to my surprise, Sis entered with me. 

Huh?

"Uh... Sis?"

"Wha?"

"Aren't you gonna go fishing, or something?" I said. I mean, she doesn't sleep, right?

She looked over at the rod at her side. "Oh. Right." She said, and turned around, making her way outside once more. 

Immediately, I got the feeling I did something horribly wrong.

"Uh, I mean, you don't gotta-"

The door closed behind her before I could finish. 

Huh. 

I turned around and saw the innkeeper sitting behind the counter, looking up at me, with a book in his hand, which I presume he was reading earlier. I felt like the biggest freak in the world, which should be especially telling, considering the guy looking at me was covered head to toe in a pitch black cloak that also somehow entirely covered his face in equally pitch black shadow. Craps weird, dude.

"May I ask wha' that was 'bout?" The innkeeper said as I walked up to the counter.

"Uh... P-personal matter, I guess. I... I'm not really sure, myself..." I said, and I began to blush as I realized I didn't really need to add that last bit.

"I see. Well, I won't pry. What can I do for ya'? Need a room again?"

"Y-yeah. 5 silvers, r-right?" I said, reaching into my pockets. Ah, crap, will I have enough for breakfast tomorrow? Ah, crap times 2, I just realized, I skipped dinner, didn't I?

"Tell ya what... Nobody's really stayin' in these rooms anyways... If you buy breakfast tomorrow mornin', you can have this night for free." The innkeeper said.

What? Can he read my mind, or something?

"N-no, I can't do that-"

"Just accept it. Let this old man do his good deed for the day."

I couldn't see his face, but I got the feeling he was smiling warmly, beneath that creepy hood of his.

"A-alright. T-thanks." 

"'Course. G'night, boy."

"Y-yeah, goodnight." I said, stepping in to the nearest room.

As I walked over and lay down on the bed, my mind was racing with thoughts. Looks like it's gonna be a long, long nigh-

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZz...

3