Chapter 143 – Wrath 2: It’s the same joke again.
53 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Knives made the rounds around the ruins for quite some time. 

Paying close attention, keeping watch and all that stuff wasn't his forte. While he certainly did his best, he frequently found himself distracted.

In particular, he found himself staring at the already decaying and mutilated corpses of some of the forest critters that had met a recent and untimely demise at the hands of 'the mutt.'

'Heh. Bastards never stood a chance, from the looks of things.' He thought to himself. 'Don't envy the poor sap that happened to be in the sights of that thing.'

He continued making his rounds as he thought to himself, keeping at best a semi careful watch of his surroundings. 

'Still haven't told the boss about that... Thing. I should probably warn 'im, but... Well, they'll listen when they wanna. Ain't my place to question 'em. I just gotta follow orders.'

. . .

'At any rate... I still haven't been able to look 'im in the eyes. It'll be hard to tell 'im much of anything while I'm like this.'

Knives found himself sighing. 

'Ah well. This'll pass. Everything does. That's life, isn't it? Yeah. Hah. Lookit me, gettin' all philosophical.'

. . .

'Now that I'm thinkin' 'bout it, s'posse it's possible that thing skipped town ages ago. Not like it'd be able to live anywhere in soceity. Probably out hauntin' some other poor bastards right now. Wonder if I'll ever see it again?... Hell, I sure hope not...' 

. . .

'Ey, wonder why the boss sent Noble out to that unfinished, abandoned lookin' house? Said there was people there, right? Wonder what they're like. Boss got friends here? Or maybe they're just some convenient freaks to hold there. Maybe someone's carryin' or protectin' somethin' valuable?  Guess there're worse places to hide out, if that's the case. Maybe that's the reason he wanted us out here in the first place. S'posse I'll find out soon-'

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of increasingly not so distant barbaric, blood curdling yelling. Given the pitch, it sounded like it was coming from a pre-adolescent young boy.

Knives turned to find precisely that, clad in bloody leather armor, a very disproportionate great sword and really strange hair barreling towards him, and, by extension, the ruin he was guarding. There was a fire in the young boy's eyes, and Knives could feel the hostility and anger emanating from him.  

'Ah, shit, they're comin'! Looks like it's just a kid, but I know better than to trust my eyes in this place.' Knives thought, reaching into his clothes and pulling out 4 knives, 2 in each hand. 

"Oi, kid! Turn over your pockets and turn around or I'll gut-"

"GET OUT OF MY WAY, OLD MAN!" 

With a firey shout, the boy raised one of his hands, and as he did, Knives felt the ground beneath him seem to lose its balance and place in the world. A moment later, he found himself rapidly ascending into the trees and the sky above, stunned and helpless to do much to resist.

By the time he'd hit the ground, the boy was already past him, deep within the ruin.

"Damnit..." The man said to himself as he reached the peak of his ascent.

"I friggin hate kids..." 

2