Chapter 201 – Beyoyos Wacky Road-trip (Part 1) – Phantom Chocolate Filling
45 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"How long is this gonna be?" Sis asked in a way that made it feel like it was leading up to something mostly unrelated, followed by an abrupt transition. I have no idea how she was able to do that with her voice. 

"Can't be that long." I said. "Didn't take us long last time. Though, now that I'm thinking about it, we did just leap through the holes a bunch..."

S chuckled. "Right, we're gonna be in here for the next couple days, dude."

"Sheesh." Sis began. "You should probably get food soon."

Yeah... Come to think of it, Basenholm's basically halfway across the country from everywhere else we've been to, isn't it?

"So... The duke, out of absolute nowhere, funded and basically demanded that we go on a cross country road trip for a party we didn't know about 'till half an hour ago?"

"Right, thaaat's the duke for ya. That said, it's not like Todd'll notice if we hop out every once in a while." S said, looking adventurous.

"You sure? C-"

"I am 100% certain he won't notice until he stops and looks in here himself. Even then, solid 80% chance he doesn't see anything wrong."

Hm... On one hand, I'm not sure if I entirely believe that, and I certainly don't know how I'd explain our disappearance if he did notice anything... Buuuuuut on the other hand... I really don't wanna be cooped up in here for 2 whole friggin days. And, really, it's not that big a deal if he finds out about the holes n stuff. 

I really gotta be less liberal with having people see those things. It's gonna lose all the cool mystique of a 'secret super power' if this keeps up. 

"Yeah, let's go do things." I said, putting my hands together and peering out the window. Road trips really are a lot better when you can dip out and screw off whenever you like, y'know? I'll keep the hole open so I'll still be able to hear if anything happens. Guess I'll just make it real small and put on top of my ear on the other side.

Thus, the three of us screwed off into a nearby forest, and decided to do a little camping while we progressed on our unexpected road trip. 

It might've been more fun to screw off in town, but I figured that wouldn't be a great idea. I know that we probably wouldn't be attacked, but the possibility was higher than average, and I don't wanna do anything that'd increase my risk of losing my 'not getting mugged' streak.

So, we wandered around the woods, chattin', chillin', until we happened upon a cute little pond, and, well, I wasn't about to tell Sis 'no' when she was making that face. It's not like we had anything better to do. Though, I did grab one of the bedroll thingies from the cart while I picked up her fishing supplies. I don't want her to sit on the grass and get the dress dirty, after all.

So, the three of us sat and fished and shot the breeze together out in the open air.

So, y'know, literally our normal daily routine, but in a slightly different spot. Cool.

Though, I couldn't help but notice that S was spacing out more than usual this time. I wonder what he was thinking about?

"Ah, there's the transition." Sis said.


S was, by nature, not a thoughtful man.

That's not to say that he was stupid or that he never thought at all, however. For example, he was quite particular about social encounters, especially with consideration to his personal rule, to never ask to never ask anything he wouldn't want to be asked himself; to never pry too hard. He was not a man that cared about ones past, instead only being concerned with the present and the future. At least, that's what he told himself.

At any rate, by and large, S was a man that assumed he knew what to do in most any given situation, and let his instincts guide him accordingly. He didn't like stagnation, he was a man of action, of movement. Even when said movement and action amounts to little more than meaningless violence.

 Despite this, there are occasions, though rare, where the boy will sit down, reflect, and absorb himself wholly in his thoughts. Especially when he was surrounded by nature, his friends, and a calm and gentle wind on his skin. Or, hypothetically, lying half dead on his back in an endless pale yellow sea of dryness, hopelessly dehydrated and starved as he stared up at the oppressive sun that beat down on his ever weaker flesh, as his body desperately and fruitlessly tried to suck every last drop of moisture from the atmosphere, completely and utterly alone as- 

Well, this time it was the former.

'That dressing room Beyes brought me to...' S thought to himself as he stared out at the pond with a slight squint as the midday sun burned overhead. 'That was Maurice's place, wasn't it? Back in Starsford...'

'Beyes, you... No. He just wasn't thinking. In truth, neither was I. I should have recognized the sounds and the smells. I should have stopped him myself. But I didn't. 

I told myself I wouldn't go there again. At least, not until I was better. Not until I was at my best. Not until I am whole. 

How else? How else could I face her? After what I... What that freak did to her... It's not right. She never deserved any of that. 

I shouldn't have attacked Catface. There was... Now way I ever beat her. Not now, not ever. 

But I did. And even when I did, when it was over, I never let it be. I couldn't let her evade punishment.

What I should have done then... I should have carried Beyes away and returned to the inn. I shouldn't have even looked at anyone or anything else. I should have returned to the inn. Maybe, even, I should have left Beyes alone...

No. That wasn't possible. It never was. 

But I didn't return. 

I couldn't let my fight end. Rather, I didn't.

From the first time blood flew from my lips I knew that it was pointless. I couldn't ever win. From the second time, the third time, I knew it. With every insect I crunched, with every drop of snow in my mouth, with every shallow breath I took I knew. I knew it would be impossible to even land a single hit against her. 

But I couldn't let her sin go unpunished. So I did it anyways. And it cost me dearly. 

Now, I can already feel my magic once again coursing within me. Have for a while. If I tried to, I could cast again. If I eased into it, was real careful, I could be back to normal in a couple days.

But I won't be doing that. Not for a while. I don't want to.

If all it cost were my magic, I'd have considered that a bargain.

But it cost more than that. Far, far more.

It was the last thing I saw before I passed out. As soon as my rage was quenched, and the mist began to dissipate... All that was left was me, and her. As my knuckles struck between her eyes, I could see it. With no separation between us, all that was left

was power.

It can't be unseen. It can't be unfelt. 

And it took something. I don't know what, my dignity, my respect, my sanity, my self, but it's gone. And I won't be getting it back.

And in it's place sits fear alone.

And until I have the strength to fill in the cracks,

I will never again be whole. 

. . .

. . .

. ! ?

CART!


"Man, this pond sucks." Sis said, though her obvious enthusiasm betrayed her obvious choice of words. "I'm not catching anything."

"That does suck." I said as I munched a pre packed chocolate cake snack I just quickly bought from Starsford. It was a bit of devils food with this rich and creamy chocolate filling in the center. Gotta say, it really earns the name 'devils food.'

I might've been a little overdressed for the convenience store, to be honest. Anyways, it's fine, I doubt I missed anything, I put the hole back in the cart as soon as I came bac-

"Right, someone's coming!" S abruptly shouted, almost causing me to get some crumbs on my suit. Almost.

"WHERE?" Sis shouted, pulling her fishing rod out of the pond with unmatched fury.

"Cart. Think we're getting attacked."

Oh yeah, I guess I can hear some pretty rough stomping of horses. I doubt simple travelers would be moving like that, and Todd certainly isn't. Though, I don't hear Todd saying anything, so maybe-

"YARR! THIS BE A STICK UP! STOP THE CART, AND WE SHALL BOARD AND TAKE ALL YER LOOT!" A voice rang into my ear. Really wish I put the hole a bit farther away.

Ugh, fiiiine...

"Alright, lets go stop them, or something..." I said, putting my hands together, but not before stuffing the rest of my snack into my mouth.

0