Chapter 208 – Literally just walking from behind a church to the front of it and briefly entering. Ocean.
40 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Man, I'm pissed at those bandit guys. First they interrupt my snack, then I gotta warp this guy across the friggin' country just to make sure he doesn't pass out or die in front of me. Bit weird how he hasn't already done that given the state of his arm, but that's besides the point.

But even worse than that, S's suit is ruined! It's caked in blood and sand and dirt and it's even damp for some reason? How did he even do that? Will these shower can thingies even be able to fix it? Oh, and I just cleaned Sis up, too! If this keeps up, I'm gonna run out! 

Y'know, come to think of it, it might've been a better idea if we just waited to change into the nice clothes until we actually got close to the place, huh. Then I guess we wouldn't have to worry about all this.

. . . Well, it's too late to take 'em off now. Yeah, much too late. We should spend as much time as possible like this.

At least, until the lack of pocket space gives me an aneurysm. Until then, I can always just drop by a convenience store, yeah?

"Don't tell anyone about this-" I began as I did the thing and put a hole in the wall of the carriage thing.

"Right, Todd, just follow us, we'll get you fixed up. Probably." S interrupted. Rude. "Don't worry about it, he won't say a word." S turned and quietly told me.

"Why's that? He, like, sworn to secrecy or something?" I asked, also quietly.

"No, nothing like that. It's because he's Todd."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"That's Todd for ya." S explained as everyone stepped through and I closed the holes behind us.

Okay, whatever. 

Sis didn't seem to care much about any of this. She seemed much more interested in Todd's arm. 

"Hey, Sis." I said, trying to subtly get her attention. It's rude to stare at people's injuries, y'know? Though, in fairness, it was quite the spectacle.

Of course, she didn't care, and instead started poking at Todd's arm. 

"Oi, Sis." I said, a little more forcefully. 

Of course again, she didn't care, and started more forcefully poking at his arm. Which eventually began lightly grabbing at it. After a while, she stepped to other side and did the same to the other, seemingly healthy arm. Now, I probably should have done something, but, honestly, I wanted to see where this was going. By the look on his face, S had the same idea. 

"Nothing, huh. Interesting." Sis concluded after a while. "Todd."

"Yes? What is it?"

Sis said nothing, but looked up at him as she prodded once again at his injured arm.

At this point, we were basically in front of the church, and I imagine this scene, a little girl quizzically playing with an unfamiliar adult man's incredibly broken arm as two younger boys just followed along and watched must have looked really weird to the nearby twin guards. 

"What are you doing?" Todd asked once she got to the arm pulling stage.

"So when I call your name..." Sis said to herself.

"What about my name?" Todd asked.

"Are you in any pain right now?" Sis continued her incredibly one sided conversation.

"No."

"Have you ever been?"

It looked like Todd was about to say something, but then he paused, gazing upwards in thought. 

"You" "guys" "looking" "to" "get" "in" "the" "church?" The twin guards randomly interrupted, seemingly just materializing into our blind spots like they're straight out of a horror movie.

"Righ-" S began, always ready to be the first guy to talk. "Wait, what's-" Oh, shoot, I guess S hasn't met the guards here yet. Huh. Kinda forgot about that.

"Wait a moment, where did this building come from?" Todd asked. 

"You go deal with Todd, I'll talk to these two." I said, realizing that things were about to get confusing and wanting to get back on track as quickly as possible. 

"Oh, uh, r-right." He said as we shifted places slightly so that he was closer to Todd and I was closer to the guard dudes.

"Y-yeah. We are." I said to the guard dudes, who very nicely didn't question our brief exchange.

"Ah." "Hmm..." The guards said, staring at me with intent but also sneakily peeking confusedly at Sis and Todd's arm every now and again in perfect sync.

"I-is there a problem?" 

"Well, technically we're not" "supposed to say you can't go in." "But we can say that the captain is" "supposed to be asleep right now, so..."

I take it that's something we shouldn't interrupt. Come to think of it, that one time we met him he did seem kinda sleep deprived... Normally I think we'd be forgiven given the degree Todd's injury, but I guess it looks a lot less severe when there's a little girl practically using it like a set of monkey bars. Shoot, how are we gonna-

"BY THE LIGHT!" A muffled shouting and slamming of doors and clanging of metal boots against wooden floor echoed out from inside the church. "IT JUST KEEPS HAPPENING!"

The guards sighed before I could even get out a witty thought. "Head on inside." They said in unison.

"Ah, y-yeah." I said. 

As we entered, I couldn't help but notice that the guards stood just outside the doors. Which I guess is fair, it'd be hard to imagine that we don't come off as at least a little suspicious. 

"How'd it go with Todd?" I quietly asked as we entered.

"Paid him 3 gold to not worry about it." S explained.

"And that worked?"

"Right. Always does. That's Todd for ya."

Huh.

"I like Todd." Sis asserted, not caring to whisper. "He's useful."

"I get that a lot." Todd said, clearly satisfied with himself. 

Yeah, probably from a lot of evil bastards who're more than happy to pay some random freak pocket change to not ask questions and cater to their every whim. 

Still, I'll be keeping him in mind. You never know, right?

0