Chapter 210 – Beyeolion
46 4 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Right, think armor guy's about to ask something he shouldn't." S said as soon as we closed the hole behind us and we were once again in the carriage. Hey, he came up with the same name I did. Cool. Granted, it's not exactly the most original name ever, but, y'know, still.

"Huh? Wha?" I said, not really mentally prepared for him to drop something like that. 

"Think he latched on to something Todd said. Probably grilling him now. I don't think he's too suspicious, but knowing Todd..."

"Is that bad? Should we go stop him?" I asked as we stepped off the cart and moved towards the horses, I guess to make sure they weren't being eaten, or something.

"Nah, then he'll just get more suspicious. It'll probably be fine, anyway. Talking to Todd's not all that different from talking to a tree, you'd have to have the patience of a saint to get anything out of that guy."

Saints exist in this world? Well, I guess it could mean something kinda different over here. Noting this. "Well... He does live in a church."

"Right...."

"I wouldn't worry about it. Even if he does get something he shouldn't and makes some stupid decision, there's no amount of fancy armor in the world that'll save him from me." Sis said with a shrug, very matter-of-factly. 

"Speaking of, who just walks around wearing that crap?" S said, giving me not nearly enough time to be properly unnerved by what Sis just said. "What a dick."

"That's not very nice." I said. Also, vulgar. "He's a pretty alright guy, I think." He's been nice enough the couple times I've talked to him. Likes his town, at least. I dunno, maybe I'm just biased towards him 'cus he's a holy-y dude.

"I dunno, I don't like the way he talks, like he's somehow got some stupid authority over people. Seems like the type of guy that'd call the guards on some urchin kid for stealing a piece of fruit."

That's quite the specific cliché fantasy for a guy you've met once, ever. "In fairness, he does walk around armed to the teeth in a suit made of steel. Doesn't get much authoritative than that." I quipped. 

"Right, he probably thinks so." S said with a sarcastic chuckle.

It wasn't long until we were standing near-ish to the horses, who were distinctly not eaten or otherwise dead, mostly just standing there and huffing to themselves. We ended up standing a fair distance away from them 'cus they smelled real bad.

Somehow, the spot I ended up standing in was a little moist for some reason, and my shoes got a little wet. Not the end of the world, but I took care to ensure nothing got on the suit. 

"Right, y'know, I've always found horses creepy." S said, clenching his fists and looking almost longingly into the pair of horses in front of the cart. 

"Don't." I suggested.

"I won't. I won't..." He said, though I didn't much like the look in his eyes. "Just, y'know, their heads and eyes aren't right. And their heads are just gross. I don't like looking at 'em. Plus, they're just so big, it's weird." 

"Yeah, that's fair." I said. I guess I've never really seen one in real life before. They are kinda weird. Though, I'm mostly preoccupied with the smell. 

"Horses suck." Sis said, with a surprising amount of wrath in her voice. "They look stupid. So... Pompous. And violent. And loud. Stupid huffing. And they eat dumb. Stupid." 

"That's not very nice." I said again, feeling kinda sorry for the horses. It was fortunate that they were even more apathetic than Sis usually was, as they just huffed and kept staring off into the distance. Huh, their eyes are kinda creepy. Kinda like Todd's eyes. I wonder if that's anything?

"It's true. Stupid animal." 

Where's this coming from? "C'mon, they-" I began as I turned over to Sis, I guess growing tired of staring at the horses or something. 

And, I'm not really sure for how long, but she was staring down at my leg. Again.

Ah. Guess they reminded her of...

. . . I forgot what I was going to say.

So instead I said "Sorry." 

"For what?" Sis asked in her usual tone.

I found that question pretty hard to answer.  

. . -

"Right. Think it's gonna rain tomorrow." Said S.

"How's that? It's barely cloudy." Sis asked. 

"Smelled it earlier. Might even be a storm." 

"Weird."

"Is that a thing you can usually do?" I asked, blinking hard a few times and bringing myself back to reality. 

"Right, no, actually." S began, tilting his gaze towards the clouds. "Well, when it's close I can, sometimes. But never this far out."

"Why'd you get the feeling this time?"

"Weird story, actually. When I was up fighting over here with Todd, one of the guys did some weird magic thingy, and suddenly I could sense even more than usual. Was kinda freaky, honestly."

Oh, shoot, I totally forgot S was also in a scrape earlier. "Y-you're not hurt at all, are you?" I asked.

"Nah, I'm good. Guy I fought wasn't anything special. I'd have much rather fought the skeleton guy, but he was insistent on fighting Todd. Anyway, my guy clearly had some experience, and he knew how to take a hit, but it was clear he'd never been trained in how to properly use that sword of his. Plus, I could kinda smell where he was gonna move. Again, creepy."

"Huh. So, was that when you... Smelled the rain?" I think I've heard about people doing that. Probably.

"Right. Still not really sure why that happened."

"What was the guy's magic thing like?"

"Some weird steam, or something. But thicker and heavier. Looked like some pretty advanced stuff. Shame it wasn't at all useful for combat. At least, not against me." 

"Maybe that, like, cleared up your sinuses, or something. Normal steam does that, maybe this did it... More."

S shrugged. "Right, that'd make sense, kinda. Speaking of smells, that skeleton guy that Todd fought kinda smelled like you. Though, I like your scent a lot more."

"Uh, thanks. I think." I said. I wasn't quite sure whether or not to be flattered about being ranked above a literal corpse. Regardless, it didn't stop my face from burning up.

"Speaking of Todd, what was he like?" Sis asked. 

"Right, not sure. Was hard to see, and I was a little busy at the time."

"Ah. I see." Sis said, disappointedly. 

"Right, what's got you so interested in Todd, anyway? His eyes remind you of a fish or something?" S joked.

"A bit." Sis said. That's probably a compliment, coming from her. "But I'm not just the best interdimensional fisherman in existence."

"Best what now?" 

 "I'm also a kick-a*s engineer." Sis continued, paying no mind to S's question. "His body and his inability to feel pain intrigues me." 

"He's not a robot, y'know." I said. "Probably." You never know, right?

"Eh. Mortals, machines, it's all the same to me." Sis concluded with another nonchalant shrug. 

"Right. I find your sincerity very disturbing." S said.

"That's fair."

Huh. Freaky.

Am I a bad influence on her?

. . .

"Y'know, we should probably check on Todd." S said.

"Oh, shoot." I said, rushing my hands together. 

0