Chapter 35: Unsuspected Turn of Events…
97 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a split second, it reminded everyone in the room of how dangerous Shade truly was. She had shifted and bitten Layla's arm off, using her tail to slam the wolf onto the ground. Fenris immediately snapped out of his initial shock and nabbed me from Melody's hands. Liam joined us, too.

Shade stomped on Layla's head, who screeched in pain. Silence filled the room while even Amelia was frozen, unable to move. Everyone in the room watched Shade drop Layla's severed arm next to her body, snickering. I had not realized most of what happened until I was in Fenris's arms.

"Hah! The murderous intent that came from you was glorious. Yet... how stupid can you be? I warned you, didn't I?" Shade snorted, bending her head down to Layla.

The cat wanted to get a better view of the female Lycan that was writhing in pain under her paw. No one moved a centimeter to help her. Shade snickered, realizing she had warned no one about harming me. But to her, it was such an obvious thing. Well, it should have been. After all, did they think she would do nothing to defend me?

‘Stupid mortals,’ she scoffed.

"Ah... wait, I did not. Well, it should have been obvious to you. Do you think I would sit by and let you have your way with my Lily? Do you think I look cute and fluffy for your pleasure? Wrong! It is all for my Lily!" Shade gibed Layla's stupid choice to go after me.

 The wolf responded by yelling at the top of her lungs. Her yapping caused Shade to rub the Lycan's face on the ground with her paw. At the moment's spur, Layla probably did not think it through. It was a one-of-a-kind perk Lycans had when angered. Layla probably just wanted to eliminate the thing, causing her pain at any cost.

Oh, the cost...

"Shade, please..." I mumbled from Fenris's embrace.

For the first time since she came to this world, she ignored me, leaving Layla writhing in pain to pace around the room. It was almost as if a shark was circling us, waiting for her prey to move.

"So, who is next? Who is going to hurt Lily?!" Shade hissed at everyone in the room.

She no longer was hiding behind her innocent form, either. Instead, what glared at them was the veritable beast she was. All of them were threats in her eyes and she would let no one near me.

Even poor Ben could not take a step towards me without Shade hissing at him to stop. She was going out of control. In her desire to protect me from all, she would isolate me from those who I needed.

Even though part of me was still stunned, over finding out that I was bearing something I did not quite comprehend. I was the only one who could stop Shade from going on a rampage. She truly hated how everyone was treating me, and in her eyes. This was justice.

Feeling as ill as I did, I pushed myself off Fenris to run to her. I was grateful to her for protecting me so fiercely. But making them fear me would not help me in my quest for their help. Wrapping my arms around her, she seemed surprised by my approach and touch. Fenris was not far behind me, but he knew I was in no danger from Shade herself.

"Enough, Shade. You have made your point. Don’t hurt anyone else." I mumbled, feeling a bit woozy.

The second I hugged her, she sat and wrapped her deadly paw around me, making sure no one would come near me. However, her deadly embrace was comforting to me. All she wanted to do was protect me, and she had accomplished that.

"No... they should all know that they can't touch you lightly. My Lily..." Shade even hissed at Fenris's slow approach.

I buried myself in her fur. Her hostility did not stop him though, just in time too, because my world slowly blurred. I felt faint. Even though Shade tried to stop me from falling on my knees, it was Fenris's grip that stopped me from tumbling down on the ground. Worried about me, Shade poked her head to lick my cheek with her rough tongue. I reached for her. My beloved familiar.

"Thank you for protecting me," I mumbled, trying to not lose myself.

Fenris sighed, calling my name and pressing his temple on mine. He would let me handle my familiar, who adored me just this once.

"No, do not thank me." Shade whispered worriedly about my wellbeing.

I simpered, pinching her big cheek. Even though her appearance was terrifying, to me she was Shade. My Shade. She could have swiftly ended Layla, but she did not, knowing it was not something I desired. Even as her own anger spilled out into the world, she still tried to appease me.

"Layla needs to get medical attention, please let her have it," I pleaded to Shade, taking a deep breath.

I was trying to keep away the nausea that was building up from my exertion.

"Ha???? She is lucky to still have her head." Shade seemed shocked by my request.

To her, the female Lycan should rot for trying to harm me.

"Please, Shade..." I breathed slightly for her finally to calm down enough.

She did not want to stress me more than I already was. Leisurely, she shrank once again, jumping on me. Fenris slowly helped me up from the floor. It seemed I had a positive attraction to the ground today. It still called for me even though Fenris held me, preventing me from going to it.

"Arg... Fine. For you." Shade mumbled from my arms, hopping onto my shoulder.

After the initial danger of Shade losing control passed, Fenris made sure I was close enough to him in case anyone else tried anything. His hands were trembling the entire time, though. I was unaware that I had become even more of a precious thing to him.

Given the green light, Amara rushed to Layla's side the moment Shade shrunk enough to not be a danger. All the elders were in shock at what had unfolded in front of their eyes. Evan, who had not taken Shade seriously before, seemed to shake in his own shoes.

A medical team assembled near Layla to reattach the severed arm. Luckily for her, Shade had left the arm in one piece. But the Lycan would never regain the same strength on it as she had before Shade tore it off. Wolves had the amazing ability to heal quickly, so it helped if they could get their limbs reattached for a better prognosis.

For Ben, it was another story. The shadow demon had devoured his arm and part of his leg calf. The older brother slowly approached us. One of the council members broke the silence that plagued the room.

"From your fiancée's reaction. I take it that Lilith is pregnant with your child, Fenris?" Charles asked, curious to know what just had happened.

In their eyes, I had been attacked thus; it was self-defense. Behind us, Layla received the help she needed. Though she wheezed. The pain was something that could not be remedied.

"Yes..." Fenris replied, holding me close to his chest.

His eyes slightly glowed red. He was ready to defend me from anything and anyone. Especially Layla, who still was conscious while her arm was being reattached.

"Preposterous! Humans are known for their willingness to open their legs for anyone. Especially witches. The harlot could have been with anyone!" Evan retorted, trying to discredit me.

His words triggered Fenris to growl in response, but before he could put it into words, someone stepped in front of him.

"From what I felt, she cannot be farther than a month. So... Whomever she was with was a month ago." Jaxon added to the information pool.

Charles nodded, acknowledging his findings. A month ago, was the festival, which Fenris was careful with me. So, the only possibility was the night of the blood moon when we... It quickly reminded me of what I had sorely forgotten to do that day.

The contraceptive potion I had made never made it into my body. I... had done a grievous mistake, forgetting about it so casually. Although even if I had taken it after the festival events, it would have killed the egg. Not the fertilized embryo that had formed when we were in the inn. Even though Fenris did not remember the night, there was no other time we had been together.

"You seemed to be caught by surprise by the news, young silver blood. Are you sure it is really your child she bears?" Nyla questioned.

My heart stopped. Surely Fenris did not doubt me. Feeling a cold sweat, I shifted my gaze to him. My wolf sighed in response to Nyla’s question. There was no uncertainty in his mind of my faithfulness to him.

Though a child was tough to deal with. Especially when we prepared for the battle that was loomed over us. Even though what would be even more troublesome for him and me was that I could not understand what it meant to be pregnant with his child.

But soon I would be reminded of what it meant to the Lycans, who would be so opposed to it. Even though my beloved wolf was terrified of the possibilities of what could come, one thing was sure of him.

"I was surprised. Yes, but not because there could be a possibility of not being the father. I am sure she has not been with another man other than me. A month ago, during the night of the red moon, Lilith was with me." Fenris replied to the council.

Every Lycan seemed to be shaken by the revelation we had conceived during the blood moon. Too many, it meant something more than a normal pregnancy. A night that he should have ripped me apart, instead conceived something else.

"What?!?" Evan rasped, disgusted by the turn of events.

Two of the Lycan elders had the same reaction. While the other two seemed to change their tune. One of them was a female who took an interest in the fact we had been together during the blood moon.

"So that child was created under the red moon?" The female Lycan asked, stepping towards us.

Fenris held me closely, not knowing her intention.

"I will kill you, Lilith!" Layla screeched, finally stable enough to disrupt everyone.

Amara grumbled in response to the wolf’s hostility towards me. A fierce growl from Fenris met her declaration of intent. He would not allow her assertions to stand any longer. Before, the announcement of my pregnancy had stunned him. But he was intent on defending me himself. Shade would not have to lift a nail to do so.

"If you even try to do anything to her. You will wish Shade ended you." Fenris glared at her, his eyes glowing.

There was no doubt in my mind that he would rip into her himself. If she came at me again. The female elder Lycan sighed, clapping her hands to catch everyone's attention. She had red hair, just like Mia.

"Okay enough. I think this is a problem that the other races have no part of. Can I kindly ask the council to reconvene tomorrow?" She asserted.

The members sighed in response. Jasper, the ocean elf, who had fair skin and blueish hair, seemed happy to hear her. He wanted out since it started.

"Very well. I believe we have the day to think over things. Let’s continue to discuss our approach tomorrow. No matter how interesting this may be. This Lycan matter has nothing to do with us. Although it is rather amusing to watch even you fail, Evan." Asher, who had white hair and bright red eyes along with his fair skin, said, standing up from his chair.

He went out of the room without looking back.

"I do hope, you can get the information we need for tomorrow's reunion." Nyla, who had brown hair and hazel eyes along with dark skin, noted to Fenris.

He quickly assured them he would.

"Make sure you reattach that arm." Jasper gagged, standing up from his chair.

Amara mumbled under her breath. He made it sound easy.

"Fenris... I expect great things from you." Charles, who looked like Ryker, smiled before leaving the room.

"Crap... I wanted to see more." Jaxon, who had purplish hair along with grey skin, sighed, not wanting to leave.

Kaiden, who had bright red hair and tanned skin, pulled the reluctant moon elf away, along with the other members. Ryker and Amara stayed behind. The elf was still standing as director of Cerberus, and this was his building. His daughter did the final touches to reconnect Layla's arm fully.

The intensity of Layla’s glare made me shiver a bit. Though Fenris stayed by me. Surprisingly, Amelia slowly stepped towards us, glancing at my lower abdomen. Ben, who seemed happy about the news that a nephew was on the way, followed her.

"Are you really holding my kin in there?" Amelia asked, slowly reaching to my abdomen.

Fenris watched her closely. There was no hostility coming from her, though. However, I took a step closer to Fenris, who held me closer to him in response. I did not know what her intentions were. She had been acting weird since the day I retold my story.

"I... do not know," I mumbled, not fully understanding what was happening to me.

After all, as far as I was concerned. The fact I might carry life within me was surreal. Something had to be wrong. This could not happen. Shade rubbed her head on my cheek to comfort me. Though shock flowed into me when I saw tears rolling down Amelia's eyes.

"My baby brothers' child... I... can’t hate it." Amelia softly sobbed, pulling her hand away from me.

She was confused about what to feel about my current predicament. It was the first time I ever saw the cold-hearted Lycan moved by something.

"How can you hate an innocent life? You aren’t a monster, Ami." Ben said, hugging his sister.

She seemed to break all the walls placed to prevent me from getting in. At this point and time, I did not know the meaning behind her change of emotions. But I would later learn she could never bear a child because of a birth defect.

The children that her brothers would have were the only ones she would ever meet. Ben had none. So, I would be the first to have little feet running in the family. Evan, however, was not as willing to accept the child that was growing within me.

After it left the room for us, the genuine show began when Evan took the stage again. He was determined to end whatever was growing within me.

"I hope you all know that abomination must be terminated," Evan started.

Instinctively, I grabbed onto my abdomen. The old man’s words caused chills to go down my spine. It sent me back to the moment that my father said he tried to end me.

‘This child... Is it going to have the same fate? Will Fenris want the same?’

My heart dropped.

‘No… I… I can’t’…’

"You do anything to her, Grandpa, and I will make sure it is the last thing you do," Fenris growled.

Unlike me, my wolf seemed unshaken by his words of hatred. Evan saw me as nothing more than a disturbance in his grandson's life, though.

"Your line is made of purebloods! The next child will be no less! You will marry Layla and make a true heir." Evan confronted Fenris, who seemed about to lose his patience.

His reluctance to leave me unguarded prevented him from pouncing on the elderly man. Amara, who had finished tending to Layla, stood up from where she was and headed to join us. Her expression was one of annoyance. The fact that the old Lycan would call my child a thing annoyed her.

Someone was worst off, though. Melody could not contain her rage any longer, throwing the closest thing to her towards the elder. A chair he dodged as it smashed against the wall behind him. Liam held her back before she could pounce on him, too.

"How dare you?! That is an innocent life! My best friend's baby! You will respect her child!" Melody snarled from the side.

It left me in awe of her devotion to me.

‘Best friend?’

I never knew she saw me like that. Then again, we were each other’s first female friends.

"Silence, you yourself are nothing but a curse to your kind!" Evan spurred out in the heat of the moment.

It caught everyone's attention. Finally, changing the subject's attention from me. Much to my relief.

"What?" Melody mumbled, not quite knowing what he meant.

Evan would kindly fill her in as his anger took hold of his words. Or maybe he was trying to hurt her.

"You are a disgrace, too. Your slut of a mother could seduce my son, but you surely will not seduce this pack to your ways!" Evan fumed, trying to put Melody in her place.

He had not realized what he had said.

"Wait… Wait… M-Melody is d-dad's daughter?" Ben stuttered to say confused, walking to his grandfather.

Amelia glanced down at the floor. Even though Evan did not speak, his hesitance to say anything else was enough to conclude that she was. Fenris glanced back and forth between his grandfather and Melody, unable to understand what was happening anymore. She was close to Fenris's age, too. Just a year older, like Liam.

Amelia, who had been holding back the family secret for years, finally broke her silence.

"It is true," she announced, grabbing onto her arm, refusing to look at Melody.

My friend was utterly speechless by what was unveiling. Was that why she looked at Melody, full of contempt before? All of her previous actions could have concluded that. But more than that, it meant she was Fenris’s older sister.

One he never knew. And one that I loved.

"You knew?" Fenris asked Amelia.

She nodded in response.

"I am the eldest... So, I remember better than Ben what happened before you were born. When mother found out what dad had done... she was not happy." Amelia closed her eyes, reliving unpleasant memories from her past.

It probably was part of what shaped her heart to what it was today.

"My son had a moment of weakness. That is all." Evan tried to backtrack.

Unlucky for him, Amelia would not allow her father to be a victim like Evan desired. It was a long time coming.

"It was more than a moment of weakness! Dad loved Lora sincerely. And Mom could not allow that to go on!” She began, clasping onto her hand's chest.

“It was worse when she found out Lora was a runt. A family disgrace, she called it. After all, nothing was more embarrassing than dad cheating on her with a runt.” She paused for a moment, closing her eyes.

Those days were still vivid in her mind.

“It drove Mom crazy knowing he kept seeing her even after being confronted. It led her to place a bounty on Lora's head. Luckily, Dad made his mistress disappear, while trying to rekindle their marriage. Though I feel like he only did it to keep Mom away from Lora." Amelia sighed, triggering alarm bells in my head.

If Melody's mother was also a runt, it had confirmed then curse as a generational one. How long, though? It would have been impossible to know, yet something told me Evan and the other elders knew more than they were telling. Finally, something that was not about me. I could fight that.

"So... even Melody's mother was cursed. Do you know something about that?" I got my feet on solid ground.

It was easy if it was not about me and what was in my womb.

"Cursed?" Amelia asked, dumbfounded by what I had just said.

She was clueless. None of the younger Lycans knew what I spoke about. They probably did not even know Melody was cured.

"I know nothing about such a thing." Evan tried to deflect.

Though it was obvious, he was hiding something. The way he avoided everyone’s gaze yelled louder than his words. The female Lycan from before decided otherwise.

"Well, I do." The old woman announced.

Evan turned to her in disbelief.

"Ursula, you will not speak a word!" Evan commanded her.

She shrugged, gazing back at me. In her eyes, there was something I could not quite tell. Hope? No... It was something else.

"Melody is a direct descendent from Alijah, well, his brother who was cursed in battle long ago, or so the story says," Ursula informed, adding a crucial new piece of information.

Melody was a descendent of Alijah's family line. Unbelievable. They were nothing alike. Then again, thousands of years had passed since he had been in the mortal realm. Was Melody the person Tobias referred to when we spoke?

"Alijah had a brother?" I queried to assure myself of what she had just said.

"Yes, he did. The story is longer than what Alijah told you." Ursula pointed out.

Evan stepped in once again.

"Ursula, this is treason." He tried to stop her.

His words caused her to growl in response to his words. What he accused her of was something she did not take lightly.

"No, treason is trying to murder the red moon's child. Even if it's a human bearing it!" She snarled.

Evan took a few steps away from her. He was losing control of his pack. Though it was never his pack to have in the first place. Fenris was supposed to gain the title of alpha during the festival. Sadly, it was interrupted.

"You do not know what you are saying!" Evan rasped, unable to keep himself in control anymore.

 His fear was showing. He dreaded what would happen if I brought this child into the world. An unknown. An abomination in his amber eyes. Anything that was not pure would be nothing more than a curse in his mind. Instead of being swayed by his worries, Ursula took a step towards me, smiling.

"Oh, but I do... a woman has her own intuitions," Ursula reassured Evan of her beliefs, glancing towards Amara.

The elf had been watching everything that unfolded. Layla had stayed behind with Ryker, who was also watching. Although if looks could kill, the scorn Lycan would have already claimed my life.

"You. How many pups is Lilith carrying?" Ursula suddenly asked Amara.

I was not ready for the subject to be me again. If anything, I wanted to continue investigating Melody’s origins.

"I..." Amara was hesitant to say anything.

Ursula tilted her head, trying to figure out what the elf was worried about.

"If you fear harm will come to her. Don’t worry. If the moon is within her, creed will protect her." Ursula reassured her of my safety.

Amara sighed in response. It would not be as easy to do, but if they were on my side, she would share the information she had withheld.

"It is too early to tell. Something interferes with my magic. But I think at least two," Amara announced.

Her words sent me into a world I knew nothing about.

‘Two?!?’

Shock filled me as the conversation continued to drain me.

"Twins?" Fenris blurted out, glancing back at me.

I felt worse when he said it out loud. The surprise in his voice was unsuspected. It did not make me feel any better about my current outcome. If anything, everything seemed to move by itself again.

"Maybe more." Amara pointed out.

I saw doubles.

‘That... That... can’t be...’

"I feel sick." I stuttered out, emptying my stomach contents onto the floor.

For a moment, we went from arguing with each other. To searching for a chair for me to sit on. Amelia tried to ventilate air to me while Amara checked me. It was the stress getting to me.

What was this world coming to? How would I carry a child, let alone two? How could I love them? What was happening? I panicked inside. Fenris noticed before I hyperventilated. Grabbing me by my chin Fenris, forced me to face him, pressing his warm forehead against my cold one.

"Lily... it is okay... we will figure it out together." Fenris pushed aside his worries to help quell mine.

His warm words did very little to help me, even though I appreciated what he said. He was nothing like my father. Even though the thought terrified him, he would accept whatever came from me.

 After all, in his eyes, anything that came from us would be beautiful. Even so... I was not as willing to accept my predicament. It terrified me. I... did not know if…

"Will it be loved?" I worded a thought out loud, tears falling down my eyes.

The genuine fear I had was if it would be hated for what it was. Like I had been. That alone made me want to tear out my womb from my body. After all, how could I ever bring a child into a world like this?

Especially if my baby would suffer as I did. Would that be all it would look forward to? How could I bring a child, let alone two, into a world like this? Upon hearing me, Fenris bit into his bottom lip, engulfing me in his arms. His heartbeat was faster than my own.

"Of course, we will love it, stupid girl. How can you think otherwise?" Fenris said, voice cracking.

Tears fell from his eyes as well. He knew what I meant, and what I feared, but to him. It was not a possibility for our child to not be loved. Though, who spoke next would leave me stunned.

"I assure you, your baby… No, babies will be loved. I never tried to understand you because I needed someone to blame for everything that happened. But... I will try to change for this new family that is growing in your womb." Amelia tried to make amends for her behavior.

Her words left Layla, who stood by Ryker, in disbelief at her abandonment, behind. Amelia, who hated me for her own reasons, was accepting me.

"I have always seen you as part of my family, Lilith. This just makes it more official, I guess." Ben smiled.

Melody hesitantly approached us, not knowing if we welcomed her into this family huddle. After hearing her origins, she seemed wary about how the siblings would react to her. Upon noticing her approach, Ben reached for her and pulled her into the family bundle that had begun around me.

"Lily!" Melody cried, hugging me from the side.

Liam stood nearby, smiling at the event that I had caused. Or better yet, the union that the unborn baby had done. Unable to contain me I wept, being held by the tenderness of these wolves who were so willing to accept me.

Even Amelia was trying to open herself to me upon noticing I was here to stay. Evan and the other two elders, who were not pleased by the results, swiftly left the scene. They were followed by Layla, who left without another word. She had been betrayed by Amelia in the last turn of events, and that had been unforgivable to her. Ursula and another elder stayed behind with us.

Even though I was still unsure of everything that meant to be a mother, I felt a bit hopeful that the child would have a better life than the one I had. Even though Amelia seemed to act out of character, it had all begun from the time she walked into my speech to the Lycans.

Maybe my words had reached her too, somehow. After I calmed down enough, Fenris still caressed my cheek to comfort me. Shade tested Amelia's resolve by jumping on her. Miraculously, she did not shove her off. But refused to acknowledge the fact a murderous cat was on her. Baby steps...

I never hated Amelia for how she treated me, but Shade was another story. It would take a lot to undo everything that was done, but I was also partly at fault. I never said my side because I thought it would not matter to anyone.

Holding onto Fenris tightly, I tried to wipe away his tears while he rested his forehead against mine. Finding a moment of peace, I tried to analyze everything that was said. Only to realize something had slipped through when I asked about Alijah's brother. A simple detail that filled me with dread. Pulling away from Fenris, I turned to Ursula. Much to Fenris's worry since he noticed when my demeanor suddenly changed.

"Lily, are you okay?" Fenris worried when I pulled away from him.

Ignoring him for a moment, I tried to focus on the question that plagued me.

"Y-you... said Alijah's brother was c-cursed?" I asked, voice quivering a bit.

Ursula nodded to confirm.

"Yes, he had his child cursed with the inability to access his beast within. It ran in every one of his lines, including Melody here." Ursula clarified.

Her words made me realize that there was a worse monster alive, staring right at us. Worse than Alijah himself. One of unfathomable power. If that witch cast a spell that strong thousands of years ago, then. What she possessed now could rival my power. And unlike me, she had full control over herself.

"No... i-impossible... t-that would mean." I stumbled to get my thoughts together.

Fenris grabbed my chin again to force me to stare at him. The fear in my expression alarmed him.

"Lily? What is the matter?" Fenris questioned.

He worried I might slip through the cracks. Even though the whispers rarely plagued my thoughts anymore. Maybe it was because I had not used my magic in more than a month. Perhaps it was something else.

"When I broke Melody's curse, the witch's energy dragged my consciousness out. It pulled me towards her, and I saw her alive standing next to my grandmother." I informed forgetting that had ever happened.

It was not relevant until this point. Ben stood up from where he was and paced back and forth.

"Impossible they hunted all eternal witches down." Ben pointed out.

I shook my head, not being able to believe it myself, but I saw her. I felt her aura, her power. She was no myth.

"I saw her. A woman called Edna... if she is still alive, then that means she is older than Alijah himself." I shuttered at the thought that left me.

This woman was something unimaginable. She had survived thousands of years undetected. All this time storing power. A witch's power was influenced by death. The more death we witnessed, the more powerful we became. She was a veritable monster.

"You... did not tell me this..." Fenris growled, not happy I was keeping things from him again.

Although with everything that happened, it had slipped from my mind. After all, I had to run for my life soon after.

"I forgot about it. It happened so fast. I swear, I did not mean to not tell you." I clung to Fenris's shirt, worried he would be angry with me.

Was it my hormones making me more skittish? Much to my surprise, his annoyance quickly softened, unable to stay angry with me for long. Especially in my current predicament. Petting my head, he sighed, letting it go. He would not push me in the state I was in.

"Fine... just tell me everything you know," Fenris mumbled, trying to keep his emotions in check to not hurt me.

"If this is true... then we are dealing with a monster beyond our comprehension," Liam noted.

Everyone seemed to understand where our predicament was. We knew too little about everything that was surrounding us. The enemies' purpose was unclear. Melody, who gripped me in her arms, suddenly stood up, taking a few steps away from me.

My eyes followed her as she tried to make her chaotic thoughts clear. Her life was changed today too. Not only was she a distant relative to Alijah, but she was also Fenris's half-sister.

"That Edna cursed my family... what if she is after Alijah, too?" Melody pointed out.

The puzzle pieces slowly seemed to build up for a clearer picture.

‘Alijah... what if you are just a pawn in her game?’

From the moment I saw him, he always seemed confident and full of himself. Not really fearing anything. Then again, he was still young. In that timeless prison, he had not aged a day. Maybe... that was also part of Edna's plan? The puzzle still was not complete, making the picture more speculation than actual truth though.

"Isn't the revolution about witches getting empowered? Why would they want someone like Alijah?" Amelia asked Melody, who shrugged, not knowing really what to think.

The eldest sister was right to question Melody's thoughts. Alijah would stomp on Edna's plans. Then again... maybe she knew how to control him? But how...? How would she tame Alijah? He was so robust and keen on destroying the world. Could the new type of wolfsbane be the source of her plan? Or was it something else?

"Maybe... they controlled him," I mumbled, not really knowing how Edna would use Alijah to meet her needs.

This witch was older than anyone else I knew. An elder witch was also known as an eternal witch. An ability only a few who practiced witchcraft could gain, and a trait only females could have. One that I had no desire to know, even if it awoke within me.

I only hoped to die with Fenris when the time came, but with the recent revelations. It seemed to be growing. After all, soon it would not be him and me anymore. In eight more months... I would...

"Too many unknowns." Ben sighed, shaking his head in disbelief.

No one would have thought this would turn into this big of a mess. And trust me, everything was a muddle. Melody, however, was determined to find a way out of it. Especially now that she had found a family with me. The babies I was holding were related to her.

"Can you use me? Maybe since I am his descendant. I can stop Alijah, who seems to be the current threat facing us." Melody asked the group.

In response, Liam grabbed onto her.

“No way, you can barely control your shift!” He worried.

The brown wolf’s words resonated with me. He was right. Melody would be fodder for Alijah.

"No Mel... Alijah does not care for you," I whispered, remembering the dream.

She and Liam were both dead. If she ever met him, she would meet her end by his hand. Like everyone else. Or maybe she would not. The future was morphing. But I knew for certain one thing.

"But... he does not want to hurt me. Perhaps we could use that to our advantage." I added.

Fenris seemed shocked.

"What? No way. Nu-uh. You are getting nowhere near that psycho." Fenris growled at even the thought of Alijah being near me.

But I was the only one who he would not kill instantly. Alijah had been in that timeless prison, practicing his power was scarier than anything else. Even if Edna could control him, it would just mean the end of us, one way or another.

Though, part of me wondered if the witch could really control him when he seemed like a wildcard. This was all in speculation at the time. Even though Fenris was against it, everyone saw how Alijah acted towards me in my memory. Ursula seemed to want to entertain that idea, even though she did not fully love it.

"Hm... that might not be a bad idea. If we find another god artifact to use against him, that is." Ursula suddenly announced.

The other elder named Leo nodded. He was a black-haired Lycan, too.

"No way." Fenris confronted Ursula's idea, not wanting to put me in any type of danger.

Though she stood her ground to him, knowing all he wanted was to keep me safe. But there was no other way available to us. The time frame for Alijah would be six months to a year, maybe less. We had to come up with a plan quickly or risk being surprised by the inevitable.

"I mean, I am not a fan of placing her babes in danger. But saving the world might be a good idea. It is their reality after all." Ursula countered Fenris, who winced in return.

She was right. A world for babies to be born would be better if Alijah had not destroyed it.

"I do not think he would hurt them either," I whispered.

Fenris went to deny it again, only for Ryker to step into the conversation.

"Even if that was true, those artifacts are not available anymore," Ryker informed.

Ursula laughed in response to his comment.

"So, you said, but fifteen years ago. Lycans pulled one out to stop the fall along with the last known phoenix crystal." Ursula pointed out.

Ryker shook his head.

"That was the only one left," the elf added.

This time Ben burst out laughing as well.

"Nice try. You are a terrible liar, Ryker. That would have worked on Evan, but not on me. I have worked with you for too long." The older brother chuckled.

Ryker clicked his tongue, releasing a sigh. Fenris was not happy with how things were ending up either, but he could say nothing to argue in return. Compared to the young Lycan, Alijah was on another level.

My wolf had to think about the little ones who were coming into his life in less than a year. Even though he was reluctant, he joined in instead of resisting it any longer.

"We can go to the elven countries. To see if one subrace has one," Melody noted.

Fenris shook his head in response to her suggestion.

"Why go there when their leaders are in this building." He pointed out, glancing towards them without leaving my side.

"They already agreed to help, didn't they?" Liam backed up his friend's point.

Ursula shook her head, not sure they would cough up their precious artifacts.

"Elves can be zealous of their precious items, though. To them, they have a different meaning than to us Lycans and vampires." Leo informed, glancing at Ryker.

The elf seemed to give in to what would be happening. After all, he heard everything. And all he was fighting for was a world for his daughter to live in.

"They are important to our culture. After all, it cost us our lives to make them. While you brutes break them after using them." Ryker commented, insinuating the destructive nature of the apex races.

"I thought most of the population forgot about them," I commented.

Ryker shrugged in response to my assessment.

"They did, but the leaders, on the other hand, still relish them in their museums. With that said, it is hard to know if they have one that could help us. Artifacts come in various ways and sizes. The higher quality of the soul used to form it. The better the abilities it will possess. Of course, the higher they are, the more it costs to create them." Ryker clarified.

Higher-ranking souls would cost more elven lives to create artifacts from them. This was something I wanted to avoid. I did not want anyone else to lose their lives in this.

"Ah... Decided to be helpful then." Ursula teased Ryker.

The elf clicked his tongue in response to her playfulness.

"If it is convincing them. I can show them everything that I saw in my dream." I volunteered again.

Fenris growled in response.

"No. You will not do such a thing." He shut me down, not giving in to it.

"But..." I tried to convince him otherwise.

Ursula backed him up this time.

"No, Fenris is right. It will put a strain on your body. If you do that again, you will probably have a miscarriage." Ursula warned.

Again, I found myself grabbing onto my abdomen instinctively. If I were careless again, I would lose them? Was that good or bad? My hands trembled, unable to understand the gravity of everything.

Fenris sighed in response.

"If it is convincing them to hand over their artifacts, then I will do that." Fenris declared, making sure I would not have to do that ever again.

He never wanted me to do it in the first place.

"You can also have Ryker here convince Charles." Ben pointed to the elf who just pretended to ignore him.

"That would be two seats out of eight," Liam noted, glancing around the room.

The council worked by the majority, or in unison, depending on the topic discussed. For matters of the council, it would be a popular vote, though. So, it would still mean convincing at least three others.

Vampires would be easy. It would mean having more artifacts added to their arsenal. The humans and elves would prove difficult. But... what if we added one more?

"What if... I represent the witchcraft branch of humanity?" I mumbled out loud, catching everyone off guard.

"They will not allow a thing like that," Ursula assured me.

I sluggishly stood up from my chair with Fenris's help.

"Think about it. Why do you think witches and warlocks feel so suppressed? If you had never stomped on them so hard because of the actions of one witch. This revolution would have never happened." I declared, knowing full well that it was a long shot.

Fenris did not stay far behind. He knew I was correct.

"She is right. We have stomped on witches and warlocks for far too long. That would also bring the chairs to nine. If it did, that would make the human faction ally with their own kind. The moon elves usually love to support the witches, too. Vampires would likely vote with us because there are precious artifacts to be gained. We would win." Fenris noted, holding on to me.

My wolf was enjoying the idea of me sitting next to him while we worked. That would be something he would wholeheartedly support.

"If that comes to be, it makes us have five out of the nine votes. Which makes us the majority. And if Ryker here plays his part, maybe we have six. It will put pressure on the other three. It will also prevent the decision from having a deadlock." Ben added to support his brother.

Ryker stepped into the conversation, realizing my plan could work.

"Lilith here has shown her devotion for the peace. I do not see why they would be against her joining the ranks. Witchcraft users have also proven themselves useful in present times." Ryker nodded, agreeing with my plan.

He astonished me. I thought he would be against it, but he seemed to work with me.

"It might make some of them leave the rogues too." Melody smiled, liking the fact that it might help find out more about the witches' plans.

Eventually leading her to the witch that ruined her life or tried to.

"Making a dent in their forces seems ideal," Liam noted, following up his beloved.

"Making us get more intel." Melody continued, tail wagging.

Ursula chuckled in response to her energy.

"Yes... that does not sound half bad," Ursula commented.

Fenris grabbed my cheek in his hand, making sure that I was paying attention to him.

"If we do this... You will not leave my side." Fenris proposed his compromise to me.

I hugged him in response. Like I would ever leave his side willingly.

"I don’t plan on ever leaving it!" I simpered.

He seemed defeated by my smile. Our lives were about to become complicated, but thankfully, we were not alone. Melody, Liam, Ben, and even Amelia would be beside us. Along with new allies that were showing themselves slowly. It would be an uphill battle from this point on.

However, my devotion was being refined. I would not be fighting for myself or Fenris alone anymore. No, I would battle for an unknown. One that was growing within me. I would strive for their world to be better than the one I was born into.

5