2 The Railroad Blues
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Convenient playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnz2KoZ3Ix7Fo7_H_HozwABqk7u2EXhr_

Candii awoke from her nap on a wooden floor. She was sprawled out, lying on top of a burlap blanket, aboard a train traveling down toward the Gulf of Mexico. While the travel accommodations were lacking, the low-profile transportation method of bumming a ride on an open train car allowed her to be sure Morgana would not see her coming. The Queen of Rock would surely watch for the name Candii on any incoming flight itinerary and notice if she were being followed. Candii could not give her the upper hand and needed to ensure an uneventful and safe trip to Louisiana where she would charter a boat to the Continent of the Jam Gods.

Candii gazed softly across the nighttime plains of the Midwest as the train slowly passed. She felt a song coming on and asked a hobo on the other side of the car to pass a frail acoustic guitar. Lead guitar was not her normal act, but she needed to warm up before she was ready to rock her bass. And right now her soul needed musical healing.

 

Begin City of New Orleans by Arlo Guthrie

 

VERSE 1

Riding … mail.

Candii reflected on her journey today. Had it only been a few hours since she saw the most incredible of sights? She remembered growing up in Illinois as she plucked away an old folk song. The vibrations of the guitar relaxed her. The passing flowing wheat fields reminded her of the grain she grew at home for her unicorn team.

 

PRE-CHORUS

All … automobiles.

Candii was fortunate enough to have a hay making machine, the latest in technology, in which she threw the grain and out popped fully bundled hay for equines. She heard there were similar machines for milk, wool, and eggs that made them into products like cloth and mayonnaise. Candii was not a country girl. She hated the outdoors, but technology sure made it easy to be a rancher.

 

CHORUS

Good … done.

Candii’s fingers played incredibly well considering how long it had been since she had last preformed. Years had passed since she shredded with sweet, hard rock. Would she be ready again now that her team needed her? There was only one way to find out and she was eager for the challenge.

 

VERSE 2

Dealin’ … floor.

Candii laughed as she remembered playing the card game Nertz with her new hobo friends earlier that day. They lost because no one beats the master hustler of Nertz. Even after a scathing loss, the hobos still shared their paper bag. The beverage was strong and it managed to hit all the right spots.

 

PRE-CHORUS

And … feel.

The rhythm of the rails started to rock her to sleep. She dreamt of a magic carpet whisking her away to a sleepy dream land where none of this had ever happened. Candii felt the gentle beat of the wheels below her feet. The tempo coursed through her musical soul. She found her foot tapping outside of her control because music was so deep in her being.

 

CHORUS

Good … done.

As the dead of night overtook the train car, everyone took a nap. Candii enjoyed the period of rest after having been on her feet and frantic for the last full day.

 

VERSE 3

Nighttime … sea.

Candii jolted awake. She took advantage of a long stop in Tennessee to run into Graceland and visit the home of legendary rock and roll performer Elvis Presley. Being physically present in the rock legend's home filled her with the inspiration she needed to fuel her trip.

 

PRE-CHORUS

But … blues.

In her dreams Candii fumed as she thought again about Morgana and her cruel, evil tricks. Morgana was so powerful. How could she ever stand against dark magic when she did not even have her magic unicorns at her side? Could the power of rock stand up to the arcane whispers of dark magic? Was this all a bad dream and, if so, when would she wake up from it?

 

CHORUS

Good … done.

As the train pulled into New Orleans, Candii admired the bright night lights of the harbor and in the French Quarter. She hoped she would have time to enjoy the pastries and culture while she found a charter boat to agree to take her. There was much to be done and so little time.

 

End City of New Orleans by Arlo Guthrie

 

Candii jumped out of the train car and looked around the yard filled with unloading crews and cranes. The rising morning sun painted the train yard with dancing shadows. She saw a familiar pair of knock-off plastic aviator sunglasses approaching. He was wearing a shirt with his namesake pictured on it.

“Sir Taco!”

“Candii!” Sir Taco embraced her and took her bags. “It’s good to see you again. How have you been?”

“Everything was going great these last few years until yesterday. Thanks again for letting me crash at your place for a bit.” They walked out of the train yard.

“It’s my pleasure,” Sir Taco assured. “You have to tell me what’s going on as soon as we get home. Why abandon your home and why so incognito? That isn’t the rock-hard NTKG way.”

 

They sat in Sir Taco’s kitchen. Candii finished explaining her journey and he plated breakfast.

“A stack of pancakes, a stuffed-to-the-brim omelet, a side of fresh fruit, and coffee with cream and sugar just the way you like it.” Sir Taco joyously served Candii a large helping of everything.

“Thanks,” she said with her eyes growing wide realizing his expectations were far larger than her stomach. She politely took the first bite. The flavor was divine. Maybe he was not so crazy. “To wrap it all up, I must go to the Land of Rock to retrieve the thirty unicorn pearls that contain my team’s magic. I’m not sure what resistance to expect, but I’m hoping to catch Morgana by surprise by laying low on my way there.”

“I see.” He nodded pensively. She could tell his gears were turning. But, what plotting did he need to do?

Suddenly, she noticed a glint in Sir Taco’s eye. She knew what he was considering. “No. No, Sir Taco. Don’t even think about it! I should do this on my own. We went our separate ways after the world tour because we were ready to start our own lives. I can’t do this to you and tear you away from…”

She looked around and saw the house mostly in disarray. “…whatever it is you have going on here,” she said as respectfully as possible.

He shrugged. “Eh. I get to eat crawfish and jambalaya every day of the year and sing with the best jazz and blues bands in the world. But to tell you the truth, after all these years, nothing bests playing with the band. I want to do this.”

Candii smiled and threw her hands up in resignation. “Fine, I guess I’ll let you tag along. But, it could be dangerous. The music is going to be hardcore. And besides, it’s just you and me. We’re not even close to jamming like the old band.”

Sir Taco took off his tinted glasses and Candii gasped. She had only seen him do that once before when the band said their goodbyes in what felt like a lifetime ago. “I was born to help my family in their time of need. And I believe I can think of two more who feel the same.”

 

If you were riding on a train cross-country with a hobo, what would you want to drink out of a bag?
  • Liquor Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beer Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milk Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orange Juice Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7UP Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coke Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pepsi Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
0