Chapter 0003 「Division」
277 3 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Number 71 stood up and tried to leave the room when one kid blocked his way.

The begging of other kids had already annoyed him, and now that someone blocked his path, his displeasure boiled at its peak.

Thus he pushed the boy down. The boy fell on his back.

He loomed over the fallen boy and exclaimed, "fool." The hint of vain was evident in his voice.

The kids watching gritted their teeth.

They had just pleaded for advice with sincere intentions. There was no reason to get violent, at least on the surface.

However, reality can be more perplexing than it seems.

Since the Professors first distributed the books. The group dynamics shifted, rather than just being a group formed by kids who interacted with each other. They changed into groups formed by kids who deemed themselves worthy of leading others and felt superior to others.

This mindset divided the class into four divisions:

A group of 18 kids led by Number 178.

A group of 20 kids led by Number 50.

A group of 19 kids led by Number 82.

A group of 3, led by no one.

All the 3 group leaders intended to devour the group of 3 onto their own.

And the person they wanted the most was Number 71.

They aimed to get closer to the most achieving guy in class using learning as an excuse.

The group leaders thought of this scheme.

If any of the kids had won over Number 71 and invited him to a group, that group would have gained the most talented individual in the class.

They did not truly realize what benefit this could have. Being kids, they wished to have the most talented guy in their group to share assignments and look down on other groups.

But where did such kids pick up the concept of hierarchy?

The professors based the very first story of the storybook on the concept of 'Hierarchy.'

Most ignored such concepts as they could not understand them and read simple stories.

But.

Even if most could not grasp it, talented kids like Number 178, Number 50, Number 82, Number 84, Number 18, and Number 71 comprehended some of it.

Number 101 had the perfect grasp of the situation.

This was why he pondered so much when he first got the book. Most nights, he overthought the purpose of giving kids such knowledge.

The Emperor's Throne, The Maiden's Climb, The Viper. Those were some story examples. The stories revolved around people's lives as they rose on the social ladder, gaining power and respect along the way—stories filled with moral and philosophical concepts that no kid could completely understand. Even if the kids understood, it would make kids harder to control. Thinking about cases such as those, Number 101's mind became keener on discovering the goal of the people running this place.

He understood why Number 71 took such an action.

Since the beginning, Number 71 has been silent yet observant. 71, understood other kids' goals, which further fueled his anger—being thought of as a puppet irritated him for reasons he could yet not comprehend.

One kid gave their hand and helped the fallen kid to stand up.

The kid who gave his hand wore the headband with the Number '50.'

He was the tallest guy in the class but also fatter than most kids.

"You should not push down people like that. They were seeking help," Number 50 pleaded respectfully with a soft voice like an innocent kid.

Helping someone and standing up against someone they despised, the value of Number 50 just increased in front of all the other kids, especially those in his group.

Number 71 realized the soft voice and the pleading were nothing more than a facade.

"They pleaded for my help. Even the people in your group begged for my help. They must think their leader is worthless, so they rather come here and beg in front of me," said Number 71 sardonically.

His words directly hit the nerves of all three leaders.

Number 50 gritted his teeth, "Don't act all arrogant. If you act this way, you will end up all alone," His gentle manner, now, was non-existent. Instead, on his face grew an unpleasant expression.

Number 71 smiled, "I shall pleasantly await the day I end up all alone," After declaring that, he turned back and decided to leave, but Number 50 grabbed his shoulder, trying to hold him, "Stop."

Since the beginning, Number 71's anger had started to accumulate. When he saw Number 50's fake smile, he felt the urge to strike but held back. However, now, that Number 50 dared grab and stop him.

He snapped.

Instantly turning behind, he grabbed Number 50's hand and kicked his lap, causing Number 50 to fall on his back; then 71 rested in his belly and glared at him.

His fists clenched.

BAM! BAM! BAM!

He punched Number 50 three times straight in his face.

"Don't you dare touch me," threatened Number 71, maintaining direct eye contact with him. However, he didn't stop.

71 just smiled as he poured out his anger and punched.

This event caused the entire class to be frightened. No one had witnessed violence before. They had only read about it, so no one stepped in. It shocked everyone, even Number 18. She had just discovered an unfamiliar side of Number 71.

She felt dread in her heart. Instinct caused her to glance toward Number 101, who sat beside her.

She felt more chill looking at him.

101 had a steady, unfazed expression like ever, fiercely looking at the scene, but unlike others, he did not merely look at the commotion.

His gaze would shift towards the guards and servants nearby occasionally.

Within a single story could exist another thousand stories.

One could analyze even a single event through multiple aspects.

Number 101 analyzed every action likewise its reaction.

Number 18 felt another chill pass her spine as she realized why Number 101 looked at the guards.

The servants and professors turning a blind eye to a conflict was a realization she could not ignore, especially when she thought about how the situation could ignite as they grew up.

Still, the most troubled one was Number 101, as he understood the concept of power better than anyone.

Power is everything.

Power appears in many forms. Physical might gives you a way of strength. Being a group leader gives you another form of governance, and wisdom grants you authority.

But the crucial part being one should have ample power to triumph over others.

The storybook contained the concepts of hierarchy, yet they casually gave it to kids, revealing they had planned to induce conflict among children from the beginning.

The one who would triumph over that conflict would be the one with the most power.

Number 101 realized this was not a decent place from how they produced infants, and the people here also did not seem to have proper intentions.

The way the kids rapidly grasped information and grew as individuals hinted at their potential to be beyond any kids Number 101 had ever seen. The thoughts about how an organization could use these kids terrified him.

After a while, Number 71 stopped punching. Number 50's face was now bloody and disarrayed.

71 stood up and left the room.

A few servants arrived and took Number 50's unconscious body.

"What are you thinking?" 18 quietly asked as she shook number 101's shoulder. "Tell me, what are you thinking?"

101 noticed her arms slightly tremble. He sighed, "Everything's going to be alright." he assured with a gentle voice. She flinched as that was the first time 101 had adequately spoken.

But then, he too quickly stood up and left the room.

-

In the night, something unforeseen happened.

While 101 read through the stories. He found a peculiar tale.

"The Last Man and the Summoned Snake."

A tale about a man who passed various trials and tribulations along with his summoned snake, fighting over a thousand battles against cultivators.

Suddenly different facts emerged in his head.

He skimmed through the pages.

"Again, a summoner."

"Again."

"Even in this story."

He mumbled to himself.

The woman who had a snake encircled around her hand.

The servant who healed his hand with the help of a spider.

And the tales about summoners, their exploits, and their power.

It made sense.

Cultivation exists in this world.

But so does other forms of battle techniques.

After finding out this, the hope inside his heart grew more prominent.

A smile brewed on his face.

He was delighted beyond words as he had just found a process to grow stronger, even if he could not cultivate.

He laughed inwardly.

Then he analyzed the facts he perceived about this place and this world.

From the stories, he could tell the relationship between the Summoners and Cultivators was chaotic.

A war would occur between them most of the time.

The place he was in was most likely a sect established by Summoners.

In his previous world, one could climb high up the ranks if one had the strength in Sects. Sects differed from clans, villages, or kingdoms where bloodline and relationships decided their class.

There was a high chance similar rules applied here.

He had only one ambition: to be so strong that no one would dare look down on him anymore.

And now, he had a vague idea about how he would achieve his goal.

However, this place would soon become a nightmare beyond his wildest dreams.

31