Chapter 1 – Figuring out my Options
2k 6 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since I wasn't getting anywhere trying to overthink it, I closed the message after a few minutes. The phone seemed to have it's own software. There were several functions, but none of them were tied to the familiar apps. Call, Text, Mail, Browser, etc. But there was also an icon shaped like a diamond. I guess that's meant to represent the big floaty rock...

 

I wasn't really sure what to do now. Normally I would call for help, right? I don't really have anyone I can call though. The police… There wasn't any answer. I clicked on the Browser button after losing about 5 minutes.

 

I wasn't surprised to see some odd activity. People looking for help, explanations, or just reacting. It looked like everyone was in a similar situation to me. There wasn't anything meaningful being said though, probably just because of how recently it happened. I backed out after a few minutes, since it felt like a waste of time.

 

The letter had mentioned my life was bound to 'the Crystal Core.' Clicking on the diamond icon, something like a status screen from a game appeared. Under that, even more options appeared. They were fairly consistent with what the letter had mentioned. Avatar, Bank, Crafting, Creatures, Evolution, Magic, Party, Rooms, Traps. Tapping part of the status overlaid the screen with text.

 

Selene

Crystal Core: Rank1Your rank is dependent on your floor count and your CP capacity and regen. 0.

Type2Your type is determined by your mindset and how you use your creations. Valid types are Fortress, Frontline, Marshall, and Support.: Frontline3Frontline dungeons have the highest priority for Chaos incursion. They are self-sufficient, strengthening every aspect of the dungeon and its master to create the ultimate battlefield against Chaos.

Specialization4You may choose a specialization when you reach rank 1.: Blessing of Night5The Blessing of Night was granted by your patron and will be lost when you choose a specialization. It raises the resilience of you and your creatures at night, and grants the ability to see in the dark. Synergy Bonus: You and your creatures regenerate when exposed to moonlight.

CP6CP stands for Core Points. CP capacity is increased by reinforcing your Crystal Core. CP regeneration is increased by carving out floor space so that more mana can be collected. A single CP contains an extreme amount of energy, mana, and rukh, which can be used to shape your dungeon through this interface or at will - with a thorough understanding.: 57/587Current/Capacity. You currently regenerate 2 CP per hour.

 

| Avatar | Bank | Crafting | Creatures | Evolution | Magic | Party | Rooms | Traps |

I carefully read through all of the information in the overlays. Most of it was useless to me, though probably important for later. The first to really catch my eye was the description for the Types.

Perhaps the Frontline I'd been assigned was the default. I couldn't see any other reason to have that Type. The others were fairly similar, just with lower priorities for "Chaos Incursion". Wouldn't it have made more sense to default to the lowest priority Type, Support? I continued reading instead of worrying about it.

Specialization was a waste, but the 'Blessing of Night' was highlightable. I guessed my 'patron' was Nyx. So I was supposed to get stronger at night, especially under the moonlight. But what does that even mean in a dungeon? Aren't dungeons supposed to be stone holes that burrow down into the depths of the world? And what happens when I hit rank 1 and lose the bonus? Will I be weaker then, or are the bonuses from 'specialization' enough to make up for the loss? Just… Next.

The CP overlay was actually pretty informative. I still didn't know how to reinforce my Core or carve out floor space, but it seemed like a good start. Moving past the status, I tapped the Avatar button expecting information. Instead it brought me to a new interface. Should have seen that coming, in hindsight. It was another status screen sort of thing, but with only three buttons and a short explanation at the top.

Your avatar will allow you to interact with the lower world in place of your former mortal form.

 

Durability: 100/100

Location: Home

Equipment: None

 

| Possess | Maintenance | Back |

 

"The… Lower world?" Without really thinking about it, I clicked the Possess button. A small prompt showed up, asking me to confirm my choice for 1 CP. I took a moment to think about it. Sure, there was more information that I should have been gathering, but if I could get back to my apartment, talk to my neighbors, I might have been able to figure out what was really going on. Once I was in a familiar place, it should have become obvious if I was dreaming or drugged or whatever…

 

I confirmed my choice…

Wow, tables are impossible. On the bright side, footnotes really simplify the wall of text I had describing the parts of the status. Took awhile to edit things with that in mind. The only problem is I can't put footnotes in footnotes or use line breaks, so you guys can't read the description of the dungeon types other than the one displayed. They'll be in the glossary. :)

47