Chapter 5 – A Small Break
1.3k 14 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was unusual for me to act so dramatic, so I quickly gave up and looked around again. The looter-puppet was gone. There were more avatars wandering around by then, looking like lost souls trekking though a post-apocalyptic city. No, well, maybe this is an apocalypse. There wasn't any point in that line of thinking though.

 

I stood up and walked into the store. I picked up a candy bar close to the door and thought about putting it in my bank. As expected, the screen immediately shifted.

 

You do not own this item. Initiate trade with owner? | Yes | No |

Now, this was interesting. I accepted, mostly just to see what would happen. After a few seconds of a swirly loading sign, the screen shifted again.

 

Trade refused.

Well, how rude. But I simply put it back and left. The situation was weird enough that I could forgive the owner.

 

Walking down the street, I thought about what I should be doing. Nobody was hurt and in need of help. There was no danger of having my things stolen due to the way the bank worked. My ability to procure food or any other necessities was limited until people calmed down enough to start operating the markets.

 

I didn't want to get too deep into the interface in case I needed to react to something else. However… It seemed like there wasn't really anything else I needed to worry about.

 

I arrived in front of my apartment. I hadn't intentionally gone back, but I guess my legs subconsciously brought me. Fortunate for me, I supposed. A clear picture of what I should be doing for the time being was starting to develop in my mind. And the first step was to go back to my apartment.

 

I unlocked the door and entered without seeing anyone. My room was unchanged from when I left. Having checked out of habit, I took off my coat. However, instead of hanging it up, I stored it in my Bank. I didn't even need to confirm the prompt with the Interface. It simply faded from existence while I was holding it. Kind of a shocking thing to experience, but that feeling was pushed away by the relief that it had worked.

 

I slowly wandered around, depositing everything that might be useful in my bank. Clothes, food, chairs, my computer. I was a little unsure about the computer and other electronics, since I didn't have an outlet in the dungeon, but I figured I would be able to make something work. The Interface somehow had access to the internet after all.

 

I looked around my now very empty room and thought a bit. There were actually two things I wanted to try. The first thought had been that I could collect some water from the tap. I'd thought that maybe I could make a container for it using the crafting function. And that led me to think that I might be able to make a battery that could collect some power for my computer. To be honest, the battery idea felt a little stupid, but it should be a nice test.

 

Spoiler

The Crafting interface allows you to create or design new items using existing materials, or by converting CP. Items can also be crafted periodically or when CP becomes available through a work order. Blueprints are stored in the Global Database, so if you make an interesting item, other dungeons will gain access to it immediately.

[collapse]

 

Work Orders: 0

 

| Create | Design | Deconstruct | Back |

I clicked on the Create button, and it opened up a long list of items, sorted alphabetically, and a search bar just like in the creature menu. I typed in 'generator' instead... After all, making my own power would be more productive than recharging all the time. There was still a long list of different types of generators. It seemed like the two major things to consider were fuel and output. For the output, I just searched for the number in the browser that could run a house and picked the closest number.

 
As for fuel, I was a little hesitant to select the obvious choice. One of the offered generators used CP as it's fuel source. However, I wasn't sure if it was smart to use CP on this stuff, considering I was supposed to be using them for like, magic stuff. Fortunately, the item had its own description.

 

 

CP to Electric Generator (10,000W)
Creation Cost: 5 CP per unit.

Rate: 1 CP per week.
Description: A small generator meant for powering single civilian buildings. It directly converts energy into electricity with a hyper-efficient magitech engine. The efficiency could be raised by an expert artificer. 

 

| Create Single Unit | Create Ten Units | Work Order | Modify Design |

 

Well it says it's hyper efficient, so who am I to doubt? I glanced at the other generators, but I always got caught up by the fact that I would be using CP to make the fuel anyways. Maybe later my dungeon would be big enough to create its own wind currents, or I could get a sunroof set up. But for now, this seemed like the best option.

 
No. I didn't just randomly click the first button without thinking about it. Maybe the generator would just appear in my bank, or maybe it would appear a foot above my head in the dungeon and crush me. I checked. It goes where you want it to. The bank, in this case. It could appear in the dungeon, if I thought about it hard enough. But I was careful to put it in the bank.
 
With that done, I bought an empty 10 gallon jug from the market and filled it in the sink. Which took a little work, I must say. If I couldn't store it directly, I also wouldn't have been able to get it out of the sink. I thought about doing another one, but I started worrying about the effects of taking water from 'the Lower World' as my Interface called it. It was a stupid concern, but I could always just make water using the Interface. Probably.
 
I took one last look around my apartment. I wouldn't be coming back for a long, long time probably. Surprisingly, that thought made me a little giddy. Maybe hysteria, huh? This whole thing is crazy after all. Nothing for it. I opened the Avatar menu again.
 

Spoiler

Your avatar will allow you to interact with the lower world in place of your former mortal form.

[collapse]

 

Durability: 100/100

Location: Home

Equipment: CC Interface. 

 

| Return | Maintenance | Back |

I ta- I winced, mentally at least, before I sat down on the floor, leaning against the wall. Then I tapped the return button...

 
Something tells me she's going to be a little bruised when she wakes up. Some of this is completely spur of the moment, so don't be surprised if it doesn't make sense or I have to change it later.

38