Chapter 16 – Observation, Study and…
823 7 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I added a description to the clothing from last chapter, because fashion is important.

 

I started by making a list of the things I needed to work on relating to magic. There was a note taking app on the Interface, so I could update it regularly.

 

To start with, I needed a list of spells that I wanted to learn. Then were the spells I needed to teach to my creatures. Then I needed to study the basics of magic through the Database. I could follow up on that by watching my creatures use magic, especially by watching the Rockworm in front of me. I added looking into items that helped with magic, like the stereotypical wand. Ah, the Spellbook thing, too. Figuring out what that was might be important.

 

For now, the easiest was to watch how the Rockworm used magic. Having a living sample, especially with my Aura Perception, should speed things along nicely. I lowered the Interface and studied the creature in front of me.

 

The thing that stood out to me in its use of magic was the flow of mana. Rather than the emanations that happened when I looked at my Aura, a majority of the mana the Rockworm had was cycling out into the gem, then returning to its core with slightly less color than it left with. A miniscule amount was also being dragged towards my Core room. Perhaps this was the way to raise my CP generation that Nyx suggested? Something to look into later.

 

My impression of the colors... Emotions? Though I wasn't sure if colors represented specific emotions or not. I could somehow get a read on how the Rockworm was feeling based on its Aura though, so maybe they did. At the moment, I had the image in my head of cheerful whistling and swinging a pick down into stone. Or maybe since it was eating the stone, it was actually a glutton at a buffet? Either way, the sheer joy the creature was feeling seemed to be a significant source of mana. That mana was getting used to cast the spell, offsetting the loss in color I'd noted.

 

Hmm, is that why I'd passed out before? I hadn't really been physically tired, how could I have been after only a few hours of being awake? Instead I'd felt emotionally drained, even apathetic. If I wanted to use magic in the future, I would need to hold onto a strong emotion in order to stay conscious. Assuming it wasn't a coincidence, but I felt this theory held a lot of water.

 

I continued to watch the flow of mana for a few minutes, before lifting up the Interface again and pulling up the Study screen for the Excavate spell. I compared the diagram of the spell with what the Rockworm was using. It was... Slightly different. I couldn't really tell what was meant to be different just by looking though. Theoretically, since Excavate pulverized the rock and dumped it in a pile, it should have some differences compared to the spell that liquified the stone. 

 

I needed a more thorough understanding. I sighed loudly. Normally, I enjoyed reading to pass the time. However, ever since I'd used the Refinement pattern, I'd felt so full of energy. I just wanted to run around and do things. Even now I'd been pacing around without noticing. But if I wanted to study magic, the next reasonable step was to read through all of the source material in the Study menu, particularly the basics.

 

I looked at my Aura to see if I could find the source of my energy. Maybe if I channeled it all into a spell, I could relax a little. But I couldn't really understand what I was looking at, other than a simple idea that I was excited and a little agitated. Maybe with study, I'd be able to control myself more. But for now, I would just have to clamp down on this energy and focus on reading. 

 

I went back to my Core room since the floor was flat there, and I paced while I read. It was sort of unpleasant trying to read while moving, but I quickly got absorbed in the material. Everything from different types of mana, which emotions worked best with those mana types, basic spell forms, common spell combinations, and more. Everything I read through zealously. I must have been reading for hours before I came back to myself. The reason was because I'd slammed into a wall at full tilt.

 

Uh... I'd been steadily increasing my pace while I was reading. The lack of fatigue made it easier to ignore and apparently this body didn't get motion sick either. I was sure I would have gotten dizzy running back and forth like that before. I wasn't hurt from the impact, but I felt I'd been going so fast that I actually checked the wall to make sure it wasn't damaged. Of course it was fine, but I was impressed with this body's resilience. 

 

I felt a moment of panic as I thought I may have wasted CP and checked the time. Only seven hours, and thirty-eight of sixty-five CP. I was relieved for a moment, and then realized a problem. I'd completely zoned out for seven whole hours. Even for me, that was unusual.

 

Before, I'd always gotten tired or hungry and had to change tasks eventually. Since I no longer had such needs, I could theoretically get so absorbed in something that days could pass without me noticing. And that might be fatal under the current circumstances. It was a bit ironic, since I'd have loved to be able to just sit down and read without distractions a few days ago, but now I had to worry about dumb things like being eaten by Chaos monsters...

 

From now on, I should keep better track of time... I immediately used the alarm app on the Interface to set an alarm for eleven hours from now. Assuming I hadn't spent any CP in the meantime, that would leave enough CP to make a Kindlesprite. Or find an alternative creature to use. With so much time having passed, I could check on the forums. 

 

"Ah, the Rockworms..." I spoke out in dismay. After so much time, the room the Rockworm was making might have gotten a little too big. I would just go check on that reaaaal quick.

 

Me: I need to write a chapter because I didn't write one yesterday.
Genshin Impact: Haha, Ice Princess go Brrt.

33