Chapter 28 – Earth’s Embrace
651 9 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Technical difficulties. Math difficulties too. But now we're back.
Content Warning:

Spoiler

Unwanted Sexual Advances, Ecchi. Sorry if you actually want that kind of thing, but it's not going to be appearing with any frequency. If you don't want to read it, skip past the red exclamation point ! to the Author's Note at the bottom for a summary of the chapter.

[collapse]

 

The room was very off center now, and there was a room sized hole in the ceiling in one place, but at least it was open. With the extra space, the Fairies had made a few more five meter cube-type rooms, and none of them were counting as Rooms in the Interface. Checking the clock, only around eight hours had passed. Hmm? Wasn't something supposed to happen around now?

 

My CP was at twenty-nine, which wasn't enough for the Oread. The Gate, my Core, the Kindlesprite... Ah, the Greater Rockworm should be repopping about now. No, it happened just a moment ago, I just assumed it was another swarm of Common Rockworms. I turned to see them entering the room, one by one. There were four of them, the most that could come from one clutch. They immediately began digging into the wall on the short side of the room, along with their... Parent? Progenitor? Whatever.

 

With the room available, it was just a matter of CP, now. I set the alarm I'd ignored earlier. I could have gone back to digging, to try to get the room to the one hundred meter mark, but then I'd have to crawl over the Rockworms. They were really big...

 

Instead, I decided to return to my magic studies. This time though, I made sure to discuss what I was reading with my creatures. Some of the information, they were created with. But I was sure the rest would be helpful to them later. Mostly, we focused on things that would help them with their work. I think Mica was able to relax a little more around me.

 

Either way, they were able to make a few odd gadgets in the five hours it took to reach the required CP. A few heavily enchanted styluses and a wand that could create walls of stone being the highlights.

 

When we were ready, we moved over to the center of the room. In the event that we couldn't move the Oread's place of power, I wanted it well away from the mini-rooms, and between the Gate and my Core. There was no more reason to wait, so I tapped the Create button.

 

Oddly enough, it felt like a lot more power was being supplied, despite only being double what was used for the Fairies. Nothing compared to the Kindlesprite's sixty CP though. The numbers didn't seem to match with what I was perceiving. I would have to dig into that next time I had a free moment.

 

Unlike with the other creatures, the power that gathered for the Oread didn't immediately turn into a creature. Instead it swept around the room, modifying everything within twenty meters. Oops. We didn't get far enough from the buildings. There was no damage, but the concentration of Earth mana flowing through the area sharply rose. The stone at our feet even crystallized into sharp black obsidian, before a wave of dirt exploded across the ground. It got inside my boots...

 

I was distracted, and almost missed the actual Oread's manifestation. She was absurdly beautiful, unlike anything I'd ever seen before. Well, maybe on the cover of a magazine. My other creatures were also good looking, but the Oread completely outclassed them. Her hair was dark bronze and curled into tight ringlets. Her skin was brighter, something I could only compare to rose gold. Her dress was a lot more revealing than the other creatures', enough that it felt rude to look at her. I was already looking away by the time she finished forming.

 

!

 

That was a mistake. The first thing I realized about this girl, was that the reputation of Nymphs as promiscuous was well founded. I felt a pair of hands slip up my sides before I was pulled into a close embrace with a strangely soft body. Those hands continued to run across my back, sending goosebumps across my skin and a shiver up my spine. I turned to see brilliant emerald-gold eyes just a few inches from mine. "Hey, cutie. You can look if you want, you know." Her breath swept past my cheek along with the husky whisper.

 

I froze in shock. Nobody had ever managed to get this close to me before. The few guys who'd thought I might be easy prey had been too obvious, and I'd ripped them to pieces, either verbally or with my nails. No girl had even tried. I wasn't sure how to react. I know on TV it was supposed to be normal for girls to be this close, but I valued my personal space too much to allow it. Just before I pulled myself together enough to lash out, I felt a third hand touch me.

 

Unlike the others, this one gently pushed me backwards. The Oread suddenly made a pitiful mewling sound as she was pulled away from me. In the blink of an eye, she was lifted into the air by the Kindlesprite, who stood between us.

 

I was breathing shallowly with my hands hooked into claws, and there was an awful black shroud over my sight. But I managed to stop myself from lashing out at the Kindlesprite's still healing hand, and instead stepped further back.

 

There was a muted spark of fiery anger running through the Kindlesprite's aura, but her face was a statuesque mask. She spoke through gritted teeth, "This is your Archon. Show the proper respect to your Lady."

 

The Oread's whimpering turned into words as she reached around the Sprite towards me. "But she's so cute! Who cares about propriety or whatever. Rather than respect, I'll show her my affection~. It's more fun that way, right?" My face felt like it was on fire, as the Oread's movements became more intense, more desperate. Still, the Kindlesprite didn't lose her hold, even when she was only using one hand. I was forcibly reminded why I chose Kindlesprites as my primary subordinate. 

 

Nymphs were not Body focused creatures, generally speaking. But even so, they were Greater Spirits, with more than enough power to overwhelm a human. Of the Nymphs, the Oread was the physically strongest of them. Yet the Kindlesprite treated the Oread like a child throwing a tantrum. Without her, this could have gone very differently. It was a little weird that she was ignoring the Kindlesprite in my favor, though. She was far more attractive than me, surely?

 

Either way, it was time to figure out more about this new creature. But I was still a little off balance. Or maybe my mind was stuck in the gutter thanks to her. Either way, I asked, "Can you even- uh, repop with me... There's no reason to do that, right?" I felt sick from embarrassment, but for better or for worse, this Body was more tolerant of that kind of thing. I wouldn't be feinting anytime soon.

 

The Oread turned a bright smile towards me, which quickly became sly. "No? Not unless you're hiding something down below for me~." She winked.

 

Okay, bonk. Calm down already. I couldn't help rolling my eyes at that. Oddly enough, it was easier for me to focus after that.

 

Whatever lewd thing she was going to say next, she was interrupted by Mica's sudden shout. We all turned to the Fairy in surprise. "I- I'm so soorrrry! I didn't think that would happen, I promise. I'm sorry, sorry, sorry-" They kept squealing and crying out apologies like that. It was almost as shocking as- before. 

 

I couldn't even begin to think of a response. I looked at Geni and the Kindlesprite for help, but Geni seemed to be in rough shape as well, and the Kindlesprite- wasn't the best with emotions. It was the Oread who spoke up.

 

Unlike before, her attention was focused on the little Fairy, and she was frowning deeply. "Calm down, little one. There's no reason to cry. Why don't you tell me what's wrong?" Her entire demeanor had changed. Like how she'd acted before was a lie. This entire conversation... Too much for me. I was sure I'd have a headache at the very least if it was my old Body...

 

The Oread spent some time calming down the two Fairies. They'd both been shocked by the unusual amounts of hostile emotion emanating from me... Fairies were sensitive to that kind of thing. Mica apparently thought I'd blame her for what happened, and was deeply upset. In the end, I told them they weren't at fault and that I was fine now.

 

However, after all this trouble... This Oread better be really useful.

 

Summary: The Oread got too close. Turns out, Nymphs are Nymphomaniacs. The Kindlesprite interfered, but Selene was upset enough that Mica and Geni panicked. Oddly, it was the Oread who calmed them down. Even though she was the one who caused it. Next chapter should be less -, but still focused on the Oread from a practical standpoint. By the way, is there a better title for this chapter? This one seems rather grave.

28