Chapter 35 – Lakeside Reflection
631 10 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Don't forget to login and 💗🔖💬⭐.

 

The lake had an interesting little quirk. There was a beach that gradually sloped towards the water for about five meters, before suddenly dropping downwards. A little dangerous, if the water level was where it was supposed to be. I could only hope the Water Fae would act as lifeguards... If there was even anyone interested in swimming.

 

I already had twenty-seven CP, so I searched for Water Fairies in the Creature menu. There were... a few more entries than I expected, such as the Kelpie, but the one I wanted was right at the top.

 

Water Fairy

Sometimes called Nixies or Gealach Sidhe, Fairies born of water and moonlight. There are several types of Water Fairies, taking strength in freshwater, swamp water, or saltwater. A naturally formed Water Fairy will be severely limited outside their native environment, but this can be alleviated when the light of the moon shines strongly. Those who drown despite being in good health are thought to have slighted a Water Fairy.
They appear as a 12 to 20 centimeter tall human with liquid wings and bodies. Though they can alter their form to great effect, they natively appear as if they were made of water from their home. They glow with a faint blue-white light, though each is a slightly different hue dependent on their environment.
Like all Fairies, they asexually produce a single child if they obtain enough of their favored mana and choose to do so. Due to the dungeon's influence, they will repop after roughly two weeks.

 

| Create (20 CP) | Body | Heart | Mind | Spirit | Abilities | Back |

 

Oh... Moonlight? That was interesting. If the Elegy was half as effective as it seemed, they had the potential to be my strongest Fairies. Except there was no mention of what they could actually do in the entry. There was no evidence of their ability as enchanters. If they couldn't make Spellbooks for me, it would be a rather huge setback.

 

Well... That was a problem for later. I pressed the Create button.

 

As always, there was a surge of energy. Interestingly, some water mana from the lake was drawn in as well. The creature that appeared was similar to the other Fairies, but... She was transparent, made entirely of crystal clear water aside from the sky blue dress. She looked around at all of us for a moment. Then, the water slowly turned into flesh. Mimicry?

 

The colors were the same as my own. Pale white skin, dark brown hair, green-gold eyes. With the same physical features, she somehow looked so much prettier than me. I wanted to look away to avoid the feeling of shame that rose up, but I remembered when I looked away from Corina during her creation. I settled for staring at her wings, which maintained their liquid state.

 

Apparently she was satisfied with her current state, because she spoke. "What can I do for you, Elder?" Her voice was oddly dull, but her mannerisms were sophisticated, like a more vibrant version of the Kindlesprite.

 

Moment of truth then... I swallowed anxiously. "I need Spellbooks so it's less expensive to teach my Creatures spells. Is that something you could make?"

 

She thought about it for a moment and then frowned. "I believe I can do that. But I get the feeling another Water Fairy might do the job better. It's hard to explain why..." She looked down thoughtfully, her wings slowly swishing around in different directions from one another.

 

Ah, the Kindlesprite said something similar. Still, I breathed out in relief. If she'd been totally incapable of it, I'm not sure what I would have done. "For now, anything is fine. Do you have a name, yet? And is there something you think you'd be better at?"

 

As I asked, Geni and Mica arrived, both fluttering around the newcomer curiously.

 

After a glance at the other Fairies, she looked at me with a slightly tilted head. It took her a moment to come up with a response. "I don't seem to have a name yet. Of all the things a Water Fairy might be good at, the thing that appeals to me most is probably Scrying. Divination Magic. That's just a feeling, though."

 

Divination Magic. I'm not really sure how to use that. After a moment of contemplation, I decided to ask. "I've looked through some of the Interface's Divination spells, but I'm not sure what use they are. Can you tell me more about that?" The Kindlesprite and Corina were doing something to my left, but I ignored it and focused on the Fairies.

 

The Water Fairy was watching the others with her face scrunched up in confusion, but she answered me after the usual delay. "Although it would certainly be less useful for you, I should be able to locate enemies and allies easily. Similarly, I can point out weak points in a single enemy or flaws in an entire formation."

 

She'd taken on a far off look, speaking as if reading from a book. "Distant locations can be viewed, people spoken to, items found. Hmm. It's less clear to me, but I should also be able to catch a glimpse of the future... I'd need special tools to do that, I think. It takes a lot of power and control to manage it. The past would be easier though."

 

Her eyes focused on me once more. "Ah. I should be able to prevent outside attempts to Scry as well. But what you really need is a Spellbook, yes?" She gave a small smile and folded her arms. "Yes. For that... I'd need something to put a mana tracing on, like mana receptive hide or... That silk your clothes are made of. And something to protect the tracings and bind them together. A way to copy tracings would be great for scribing copies of the same book too."

 

Geni had been patiently waiting to the side but now she finally entered the discussion. "I think Mica and I can help with that. We've been experimenting with a ton of different minerals and ores since Rin got all motivated. I can show you some of the results! There should be plenty of metals that you can put tracings on." She reached out and grabbed the Water Fairy, dragging her off towards one of the buildings.

 

"Ah wait, Geni. I still need to give her a name!" I called out a little louder than I meant to. I followed after them a few steps before they stopped.

 

Geni laughed awkwardly. "Sorry, sorry. I got a little excited." She manually shifted the bemused Water Fairy and herself so they were facing me, keeping a hold for when she could start off again.

 

Honestly, I'd felt a little pressured each time I'd had to come up with a name on the spot. So I spent a little time looking up names I could use for different creatures. I had a couple related to water, since I was expecting this. It was a little rude, but the one that really came to mind when I looked at her... "Mara. Is that alright?"

 

"Oh. Yes, thAH-" She barely had time to answer before Geni was dragging her off again with a giggle.

 

I watched them go with a puzzled feeling. They could have waited a few more seconds. At least she confirmed it. I'd have to check later to see if she actually liked it though...

 

Spellbooks were on the way, at least. I had planned on looking for a tailor next... But I briefly wondered if I'd mixed up my priorities somewhere. I needed more Kindlesprites, as many as possible, as soon as possible. I had everything I needed to begin combat training as well, or I would once the Spellbooks were done. Can I really afford to wait?

 

A glance at Corina reminded me of the only acceptable answer. If their clothes got damaged from fighting, I'd be living with a horde of barely clothed Nymphs and Sprites. I'd already decided to buy silk if I could, so I'd look into buying clothes directly... But I didn't hold much hope in that idea. I'd spent my whole life using store bought clothes, and the custom cut stuff I was wearing made me realize how much I was missing out. It might be a little more troublesome... But a Fairy and a Nymph, assuming I needed both, would be sixty-five CP at most. A single Kindlesprite, or the ability to clothe my entire Dungeon?

 

Alright then... If no new needs made themselves apparent, I could start creating Kindlesprites again in a day and a half. Tack on say, ten CP for Spells to place in the- would it really end up being a book if it was made of metal? Whatever. Right now I had ten CP. So I had four hours to train or something, fifteen if Mara needed a Nymph to do her work.

 

I finally looked over at the Kindlesprite. She had a firm hold of Corina, who was still squishing her cushion despondently. So dramatic... I shook my head and asked the Kindlesprite a question. "We talked about this before, but would you help me learn to fight?"

 

I'm still not a hundred percent sure about having Water Fairies all fall into the same Creature entry. On one hand, they have little to distinguish themselves from each other. On the other hand, those few little distinctions are the entire purpose of Creature Variants. It's especially complicated because I divided Naiads and Nereids from each other. If I decide to change it later, it won't really affect the story though. So oh well.

25