Chapter 54 – Compassion
533 5 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I struggled with picking this up again. Sorry for the delay.

 

I woke abruptly. Although the details were already fading, my dreams had been filled with a mix of normal dream-stuff and echoes of Nyx's memories. There were none of the usual symptoms of waking from a nightmare, but I still ran mana through the pattern of the Gentle Clean spell. The light misting effect gave a refreshing feeling.

 

Sitting up, I found myself in the bed in Corina's temple. A frown crossed my face for a moment, but I abandoned that train of thought. I was still a little tired, and it was too much effort to care.

 

Near me, the Kindlesprite was sitting cross-legged with a notebook computer in front of her. Her clothing had finally been upgraded while I was sleeping, apparently. She wore soft, tight fitting pants and a long shirt that strongly resembled her old dress. Both were a bright grey color, with maroon flame patterns as highlights. She wore thin white socks, but the accompanying shoes must have been left off the bed. The clothing was simple, but clearly designed to act as padding for the far more intricate armor lying next to her.

 

It was hard to tell exactly how it looked without being equipped, but it was still very eye-catching. The majority was a bronze color that shined like gold under the light, while certain pieces were a silvery blue that gleamed unusually. It took me a moment to recognize the effect was a result of my Aura Perception. It was similar to the effect caused by the many, many sigils that were scattered across the bronze portion of the armor.

 

The only thing I recognized in this state was the helmet, which looked rather- space age. Or like a weird cross of medieval and science fiction. It was a knight's full helm, but with a transparent shell of that silver metal that ran from the brow to the chin. Probably meant to improve visibility... But there was a Fairy sleeping on top of it at the moment.

 

Seeing Mica sprawled out on the helmet, I looked further out and noticed everyone else was present as well. All asleep. The other Fairies were scattered just out of my reach, and the two nymphs were cuddled together about five feet away. Only Lyn and the Sculptor were missing, though I felt that Lyn was just invisible instead of absent.

 

Satisfied with my observations, I called out to the Kindlesprite as softly as I could. "Hey..."

 

She flinched a little, a noticeable burst of surprise flooding her aura. Her grip on the computer changed subtly, before she seemed to master herself. She clicked on something, then smiled at me. Her voice was just as quiet as mine when she responded. "Good morning, Selene. Are you feeling well?"

 

I winced a little, remembering. Was it naïve to think things would be easier just because I got a little power? If anything, it's worse... But I was feeling better. "Yeah... What about you- And them?" I waved a hand around at the others around us.

 

"No problems. They were concerned about you though. After they finished their immediate work, everyone decided to take a break and rest here with you." She frowned a little. "Was that alright?"

 

"Oh. It's fine, I think." Rather embarrassing though. I was still worried about their thoughts on what happened, but I didn't really want to be the one to bring it up. So I focused on something easier. "...You got a new outfit... and armor? Where did that come from?"

 

She straightened out her sleeves a little, turning her attention to the helmet- or the one sleeping on it. "The Fairies worked together to make it, with Mica as the lead and the others supporting. Mica claimed to be better matched to jewelry-making than armor-smithing, but the result is suitable for use. Though they did insist it was just a prototype."

 

She picked up something that looked like a bracer. "Because of the Oreworms, there was too much Orichalcum, so that was the primary component. It holds enchantments quite well. The silver material is Mithril, which you should be partially familiar with. There wasn't enough to craft multiple suits yet, but that issue will be resolved within a few days. They wanted to use Adamantine as well, but the vein they sowed mutated into an inferior material, so it will take longer." 

 

She paused, staring at the armor in her hands. "There was one other thing. Mica wanted to make armor for you as well, using what little Adamantine they've managed to cultivate. But I asked them to hold off for a while."

 

Huh? I stared at her with wide eyes. I could already think of several reasons why I wouldn't want that armor, especially if there wasn't enough material. But the Kindlesprite was usually rather intent on protecting me, so wasting resources to make armor for me felt more likely than not.

 

She continued before my musings could go too far, oddly hesitant. "I've been thinking about- how I can help you. The last day has given me a lot to think about. That woman from before... I think she was right. So while you were asleep, I consulted the forums about the Evolution menu. I made several mistakes when we were looking through it before, and I want you to look through it with me again. I suspect you'll need a different set of armor by the end of it."

 

The topic suddenly shifted in a direction I wasn't expecting. But I'd already dismissed the Evolution menu. It just wasn't practical. A little exasperation leaked into my voice. "I don't have the CP for the Evolution menu. I still have two new types of Fairies to summon, the Mandragora, and ideally a few more types of Nymphs as well. Then the Elegy thing for each of the rooms, no idea how much that will cost... And more Kindlesprites..."

 

She shook her head, remaining quiet but speaking with an earnest weight behind every word. "The other users were able to come up with several 'builds' that maximize the effects of Evolution and minimize the costs. Their ideal builds were too expensive, but the smaller packages reduce the price while still taking advantage of discounts. With the extra income from the Market, it should be possible."

 

"Sorry to interrupt- but there's something else that might help with that." A new voice entered the conversation.

 

Both of us turned to see Corina carefully extracting herself from Loralei's embrace. She struggled for a moment before finally sitting up and laying the mumbling Naiad in her lap. She yawned briefly before explaining with a dull voice.

 

"I don't really understand what you did, but I'm pretty sure it was generating a lot of mana. So I asked about it on the forums. There was a lot of boring talk, but the result was what they called a 'Mana Well'. They said when different types of mana clash together, it makes more potent mana."

 

She pointed a thumb towards the shore. "We've already got something similar with the lake, my ley lines, and the air features above. But we took a lot of care to prevent the mana from clashing too much here. A Mana Well would have to be somewhere less populated, preferably close to your Crystal Core. But the forum-people said it would increase your CP generation."

 

I frowned, trying to pick an argument to counter them with. Then I shook my head slightly. I might just be being stubborn here. But first... "I still need to get those potions going. After that we can look into the Mana Well for the CP income. Later on we can... at least take a look at the Evolution menu." If nothing else, I'm curious what 'mistakes' the Kindlesprite could have made.

 

I lifted the Interface, hoping to get on with things. But I paused, not really paying attention to the screen but unwilling to look back up. "Um. Thank you. Both of you. For helping me. Even though I..." I stopped. My voice sounded so small and pathetic.

 

Corina answered, a touch of pride in her voice. "That's what friends are for, right?"

 

I nodded slightly, repressing a sniffle. There was an alarming amount of emotion in my Aura, but I didn't feel like I would lose control again. Looking for a distraction, I quickly glanced through the Spring Fairy's information.

 

Spring Fairy

Fairies born of flowers and plants. Not to be confused with Water Fairies- They can appear near ponds or in rain touched planes, but only in association with the trees and flowers that grow well there. During the warm months, Spring Fairies will often provide blessings of healing and resilience to those who bring them baubles or interesting stories. However, it's said that those who harm the hibernating Winter Fairies in their care will be vanquished without mercy.
They appear as a 12 to 20 centimeter tall human with butterfly's wings. They have human colorations, with a hint of green or bright colors matching the flowers of the plants they inhabit. All glow with a faint green-pink light.
Like all Fairies, they asexually produce a single child if they obtain enough of their favored mana and choose to do so. Due to the dungeon's influence, they will repop after roughly two weeks.

 

| Create (15 CP) | Body | Heart | Mind | Spirit | Abilities | Back |

 

My attention didn't catch on anything, so I shrugged and pressed the Create button.

 

The Fairy that formed this time had pale rosy skin hidden under a dark green dress. Her long pink-blond hair flowed down between speckled butterfly wings. She opened her eyes to reveal bright, cherry-colored pupils that matched her wings.

 

After a moment's hesitation, she curtsied gracefully. "What would you ask of me, Elder?"

 

"Ah, one moment. It'll be easier to explain to both of you at once." I tapped at my screen, until the entry for the Fairy Familiar appeared. One more tap and a second Fairy began to form.

 

The Fairy that formed this time looked nearly human, aside from her transparent dragonfly wings. Her skin was a slightly tanned cream, and her golden blond hair fell down to her shoulders. Her eyes were heterochromatic, with a blue eye and a green eye that didn't quite match her bright green dress.

 

This one inhaled deeply before smiling and offering its greeting. "Thank you for giving me life, Elder. I am at your service." She finished her statement with a slight bow.

 

The unusual word choice threw me for a loop, but I shook it off. "Right... I wanted you two to try and create- um. What do you even call a potion like that? A pregnancy potion?" I got caught up for a moment, and the two took the opportunity to study each other and their surroundings. The other Fairies were starting to stir as well, woken by all the excitement. 

 

Corina came to my rescue, explaining what was needed from the two. She'd done a lot of research on the subject, and it turned out to be quite complicated. The Spring Fairy was a little lost, but the Fairy Familiar quickly caught on and started asking questions. It was only a few minutes before they understood their roles.

 

All that was left was to Create a Mandrake and whatever other ingredients they needed. But first, introductions. "I've thought of names for you two. Chérie for the Spring Fairy, and Aria for the Familiar. Do either of you- uh, have any problems with those names?"

 

Both answered in the negative, smiling at me. I gestured to the other Fairies, who were all awake and bouncing around by now. "Then get acquainted with everyone since you'll need their help. When you're ready, come meet me at the garden."

 

I took my chance to slip off, waiting only long enough for the Kindlesprite to equip her armor. I was still a little tired, and maybe a tiny bit regretful that I immediately dove into Dungeon stuff as soon as I woke up. But maybe this next bit would invigorate me. The description did say it would 'empower' allied Creatures. Hopefully that meant me as well.

 

16