Chapter 57 – Power Surge
964 13 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stared up into the moonlit sky, briefly letting the reason I was here slip from my thoughts. It was so strange, seeing open air above while knowing I was still somehow 'underground'. The quiet murmur of the river and the soft wind added to an oddly peaceful feeling. I couldn't quite decide if the lack of insects and birdsong was more or less relaxing though.

 

I focused myself, tapping at the Interface a few times. With my choice confirmed, the air mana above began to swirl dangerously. My hair that had followed along with the rising wind began to stand on end for an entirely different reason. The crackle of static electricity stung at my skin. Soon a vortex of darkening clouds formed above, imitating the beginnings of a tornado. It never reached for the ground however, and brief flashes of cloud lightning lit the now overcast sky.

 

A warm rain began to fall, sliding off my Dungeon-made clothes like they were waterproof. It was... nice. Even when tiny motes of mana fell along with it. Where they touched, bursts of electricity or small explosions of dust added an odd echo to the patter of rain and the rumbling thunder.

 

As quickly as it began, the storm calmed. The clouds remained caught in whirling winds, but everywhere outside the newmade place of power settled. Even the rain began to fade away, and the winds returned to a nighttime breeze. It felt as if the world was taking a deep breath.

 

"Behind you." The sudden voice startled me, causing me to whirl around. A beautiful woman lay flat in the air at eye level, resting her head on her arms with a mischievous expression. Striking white eyes stared at me from within cloud white skin, which combined with her slightly transparent body to leave a rather ghostly impression. The only thing that broke that illusion was her long electrical blue hair and the gray clouds that supported and barely concealed her body. "Did you have need of me?"

 

"You're the Aurad." I let out a soft puff of air. Then I transferred control of the Dungeon's air to her. "I'd like you to help control the mana here, along with the other Nymphs. There's also a project we're working on, and I need you to make a source of air mana for it."

 

She nodded, turning her eyes to our surroundings. "That should be simple enough. Especially... There's an Air Fairy around here. I'll get her to help me out." Without another word, she shifted into a more upright stance and half-ran, half-flew away.

 

And... That was that, apparently. No flirting or questions, just off like a bolt of lightning. Though she went looking for Lyn, which might cause problems. "I didn't even give her a name yet..." I sighed and thought about what to do next instead of worrying.

 

It would be just under an hour before I could afford a Lampad, or I could devote the CP to something else and make a fire source myself. Reading a little about them made me wary. They were aligned with both fire and darkness, so the utility was better than I thought at first. But the Interface emphasized their negative traits, so I wasn't sure it would get along with everyone. Or where to put its place of power, for that matter.

 

I'd have to consult with the others about it later. Instead I'd focus on advancing the mana well. For the next three sources, the Nymphs could probably do most of the work, but... At least I could offer to help out. And it was kind of interesting to watch, even if I didn't need to be involved.

 

Things progressed quickly enough. Both the earth and wind sources were completed with only a few minor hitches. Their addition added a statically charged sandstorm to the well, among other effects. That then mixed with the already present light and darkness to create even stranger effects. Glass-like shards of pure light, whirling clouds of black gas, and everything between.

 

It unnerved me, but at the same time I felt thrilled to see our success- to feel it, through my new senses. The new kinds of mana flowed into my Core, creating an eclectic mix of sensations. For a moment I simply shivered in silence, eyes closed as I attempted to process all of it.

 

Eventually, I regained myself enough to check my CP. Unexpectedly, it had risen by three instead of one.

 

I stared at the screen for a while. After being resource starved for most of the week, it felt like cheating to suddenly jump up by so much. Part of me wondered if it was some kind of mistake, and something would happen to take it away from me. But as I watched, the number stayed firmly at eight per hour... And was most likely only going to increase once we completed the Well.

 

Ideas started to worm away at the edges of my Mind. All the things I could do now, that I'd dismissed as too expensive before. At the very least, I could afford to Create a Lampad. After that- well.

 

For the time being, I needed a place to put her. No use in getting ahead of myself. The water source was already being crafted as I watched. If I wanted a Lampad to work on the source of fire, then I'd need to get on it now.

 

I teleported straight to the Fairies' workshop. Their temporary workshop, as it turned out. I'd already discussed it a little with Corina, and she had a fair idea of what the Lampad could do for the Dungeon. It meant that her plan to move the Fairies over towards the lake would be pushed forward though.

 

I explained it to Geni, who was effectively in charge of the current structure. She would do most of the work, though almost everyone would be helping, of course. Once everyone was clear on what to do, I and Mica made our way to the dig site. Several Greater Rockworms were already there, carving out space underground. I joined in, casting Excavate since there was nothing better to do.

 

The space needed to make a place of power was quite large, and since it would be attuned to fire, it was important not to put it too close to the surface. It wouldn't be fun if it ate through the earth and made some kind of lava pit or something. It took longer than I liked to finish, but Corina finally gave the go ahead once the place was about thirty-five meters deep.

 

Everyone else evacuated, leaving myself and the Kindlesprite. Both of us wore Mage Armor to protect against the surge of fire and darkness mana that was almost certain to occur. Glancing around the bare marble room to make sure nothing was in danger, I nodded. A short confirmation later, and the air ignited.

 

Dark red flames laced with yellow streaks rolled out from the center of the room. Instead of creating light, they cast deep shadows over us. The temperature shot up, even as I lost sight of the Kindlesprite just a step to my left. I could see nothing but the flames spreading outwards. Further, further, past me and on even further, until it seemed I was standing in an endless sea of red flames. 

 

I felt a hand grasp mine, and turned to see the Kindlesprite stepping even closer. The flames between us cast her face into strong shadow that made it difficult to recognize her despite the short distance. She nodded softly, so I turned my attention back towards the center of the room.

 

The flames there were different. A yellow bonfire with a female form. Despite the darkness, I could see her clearly. She opened her eyes, red light leaking from the depths of her pupils. Our eyes met, and she tilted her head curiously. A wave of her hand, and suddenly the darkness parted.

 

She was much closer than I'd thought, within easy reach even. Her skin had an unexpectedly natural yellow-orange tone, which appeared nearly white compared to the saffron colored dress she wore. She leaned closer, drawing in as if the three of us were discussing secrets. Her short black hair fell around her face, ethereal yellow flames dripping downwards with the motion. At this distance, the red light of her pupils no longer hid her onyx colored irises. 

 

She spoke, slowly moving her lips in a near inaudible whisper, "Am I- interrupting something?" Then she smiled playfully, the red light in her eyes flaring subtly.

 

"Huh?" I needed a moment to process the sudden shift, but once I caught up I felt my eyes rolling up seemingly of their own accord. "Oh no, another one." One nice introduction and suddenly I forgot that I was dealing with Nymphs somehow. I pulled the Kindlesprite away with me, letting the distance between us open up naturally with the motion. Then I crossed my arms and scowled at the new Lampad.

 

"I want you to help manage the Dungeon's mana, among other things. Corina can explain the details to you... I'm sure you'll get along great." I breathed out sharply, trying to release my annoyance. "Is there anything you need in the meantime? I wasn't sure what would be necessary for you to live here." I waved at the darkness around us.

 

She thought about it for a moment, eyes unfocused as she sorted through imprinted memories. Finally she shrugged. "Nothing immediate. Though I suppose some company might be nice. Maybe a bed, hmm?" She smiled warmly at me.

 

I sighed. "Will others be able to enter your Domain without burning or being blinded?"

 

She nodded easily. "As long as I want them here, there is no danger."

 

"Then there's no problem. Some of the Fairies will come around shortly. I think you're close enough that Corina can visit you in person as well." I stopped a moment to think, ignoring her pout. "Do you want me to give you a name?"

 

Her eyes widened a bit, and she nodded without saying anything.

 

It didn't take long to narrow down my list. "Cecilia, then. I'll call in Corina, and we can talk once you're caught up." I felt a little bad, like I was blowing her off. But I didn't really know what else to do.

 

While she was meeting the others, I met up with the Aurad. I wanted to give her a name as well. Finding her was difficult, but the Interface helped me out a lot. When I reached her, she was talking animatedly to Lyn. The little Fairy was securely bound in a cluster of dark clouds, barely visible. 

 

The sight instantly made me change the name I'd picked for her. "Do you mind if I name you Fianna?" The sudden question cut her short in whatever she was talking about.

 

"-Oh. No, that's a good name. Probably?" She thought it over a while before blinking at me. "I'm Fianna then. Anyways, this one said you asked her to make clothes-" She pointed at Lyn, who seemed to shrink away at the extra attention. "I think I can help with that, with your permission?"

 

I felt a wave of pity well up in me. "Only if she's okay with it. Could you let her go free for now?"

 

Fianna tilted her head a little, then shrugged. The clouds around the Fairy slowly began to disperse, but she was already gone. The Aurad spoke as if nothing happened. "I want to check that Market thing for materials, but was there something else you needed from me?"

 

I shook my head. "I only wanted to offer you a name. Make sure to get along with everyone, and be nice to them."

 

She nodded, then shot off towards the warehouse area.

 

I shook my head again. I hope Lyn doesn't get even worse because of this... My thoughts briefly turned to myself. A sympathetic desire to go hide in a warm bed settled into my brain. But the impulse passed as I thought about the work that was almost done. A quick cast of Teleport brought me to my Core Room.

 

Watching the fury of the mana storm from a distance, it occurred to me that I still didn't have a Nymph for light mana. Somehow it just... Never came up? I picked up the Interface and concentrated on making it show me Light aligned Nymphs. However...

 


B̷͖̦̠͑o̷̞͈̦̓r̸̙͈̤̎ṇ̶͇̽͊ ̵̱͓̗̆̇o̸͍͍̎̕f̶̲̟͆̈́̚ ̵̤̟̟͒L̷̪̑͌̓ḯ̵̮̓g̷̢͒̆h̷̨̦̉̅͠t̸̩͊͒̕
N̶̩̭̐y̵̛̟̹͆͝m̵͉̭͑͘͠p̴̱̤̼͠h̶̨̜̦̄̂̆

φ̸̧̆̐ά̴͍͑ο̶̩̠̈́ς̸͚͋ί̵̣̾̚δ̶̢̲̾͌
W̷͍͐a̸̡̔͐̔t̴̪̠͑͑c̸͙̬͔͆̌̈h̴̩̓e̷͙̎r̴̟͖͂̕ ̸̲͆͊ỏ̷̖̺͍͊͝f̸̜̦̣̊̄͂ ̸̮̰̲̅͛G̶̜̀́o̴͔̝̩̐͐a̷̺͂-̷͇̃̌͠ ̷̮̣̩̀͗S̶̭̆͋h̴̰̙̯̆̃̎e̸̹̭̤͝-̶̺̱̿ ̵̹̳͛̈S̵̗͍̋̃h̸̖͐é̸̞̬̜̏ṕ̶̢̏̔h̶͎̦͓͆-̵̧̩͐̓͊ ̸̞͈̄͜Ơ̴͚̍̒x̸̞̎e̴̛͍͕͇͐͋n̸̙̖̕ ̶̗̗̤͝͝ą̸̑n̸̩͌͋̍d̷͉̑ ̷̗̦̌̔t̶̹̮̟̃h̸͙͔̆͋ȩ̴͍̒ ̷͚̽͑̇S̶͕̥̀̓u̴̝͙͑͜͠n̴͍͊̋̽
C̵̜͕͕̍̉̾ọ̶̢̓̈̅ñ̸̲̅f̵̙̽ļ̵̤̋́̊i̸̳͝c̵̙͍̲̀͠t̶͙̠͉͆̉̾
S̸̙̲̿̇̀̿͒e̶̖̳̊̆̈́̚l̸͕͇̅̓ẻ̷̦͔̙̳̣̄̇̚͝n̵̞͕̐͝e̸̘͌̈͆-̶̺͉̳͎̈̆̎̽M̴͎̪̺̐ö̴͓́o̶̰̹̎́̌͝n̶̲̐̂͗͒ ̴̢̲̮̗͖̈́̕ó̴͍̬f̵̩̰͉̓ ó̴͍̬f̵̩̰͉̓ ó̴͍̬f̵̩̰͉̓

Ȉ̴̲͖̅ń̴̡͍s̸͚̚u̴̞͛̓ͅf̶͉̓͝f̸̘̭̻̈́̌̕i̷̡͝c̵̭̪̲̑́̆i̸̡͍̕͘͝ͅȩ̷͇͌͌ñ̴̞̹͘͘t̴̹̍̊͌ ̵̢͌̊D̶͇͋ä̴̢̛̹́̚t̵̩̺̲̔͠a̴̜̺̳͐

Error...

Recalculating...

 

A series of unintelligible symbols spewed across the screen in response to my command. Then, without delay it shifted again.

 

A̸̼̓l̶̘̓s̷̖̈́ę̵͛i̶͔̾d̸̼͊ ̶̠͠

V̷̛̝â̴̹r̷̛̟i̴̞͛ä̶͇́n̶̰̚ẗ̴́ͅ ̷͕͠D̷̗͐r̷̭͊y̸̳̑à̴͉d̴̦͐ ̶͕̐
G̷͍͝å̴͈ì̵̧n̸̥̚s̷̮͛ ̸̡͋Ḷ̵͠i̶̙͋g̵̦͂h̷̛̪t̸͔̕ ̴̤̋A̴̤͊f̶̯̿f̴̭́i̷̢͆n̴̻̕i̴̦̚t̷̡̀y̵̦̌,̶̮̊ ̵͕̃μ̶̞̇η̴̝͑λ̶̭̍ο̷̖̿ν̵̙̄ ̶̹̑

R̸͓͘ė̴̥c̴̩̕a̸̮̍l̷̰͒ċ̶̮û̷̟l̴̥͂a̵̧͝t̴̼͘ḯ̷ͅn̵͇̏g̷̰̑ ̴̱͊
G̸̙̾ą̷̕i̶̝̾n̵̰͗s̸̳̿ ̴̳͂

 

A̷l̵s̷e̷i̷d̵ 

A variant of the Creature: Dryad.
Personification of ̵ glens and pleasant groves Ε̶͍̕π̷̪̅ι̵̳̇μ̶̘̊η̵̛̰͗̓̈́λ̷̪̌ι̶̛̝δ̸͚̈ε̴̞͠ς̵̝͗. Alseids are cheerful, always happy to walk under the light of the ő̷͖f̷͈͐ ̷̺͋t̷͎̀h̶̽ͅe̸͓͘ ̵͎̇m̵͖̔ọ̴͘o̷̤̒n̶̼̎. They love all things born of nature, be they wild or tame, fauna or flora. They act as guardians and shepherds, ever working to protect their flock and forest from harm. In addition to their hardy nature, they have strong affinities for Light, Nature and H̶̳͝e̴͕͌a̸͉͊l̸̘̆ỉ̴̗n̴͈͐g̵͔̑-̵̫͐P̴̲̈́u̴̝̒r̶͕̉i̷̜͋t̶̟̎y̶̙͆ magic.

In their native form, they appear as a peerlessly beautiful humanoid woman w̷-̴i̷-̷t̴-̶h̴ radiant skin and fluffy, cotton-like o̶l̸w̶o̶ hair. The exact details are dependent on their domain, and sometimes shift to match rapid chang̸es or as they please.
While Spirits can form naturally in any place of power, Alseids are a Unisex race, and will require a partner of ĩ̶͉̝͕̐̕n̷͚̈̔i̶̝͙̥̐n̷̳̈́v̶̧̦͌̌́alid race to repop. Such a pairing can produce single or twin À̸̭r̵̮̉l̷̰̆ȳ̶ͅs̴̪̽a̶̛͖ȅ̷̞d̶͎͝i̷̮͝ḑ̵͠ε̷͍̂ς̶̝͗ after between six months and two years, depending on the density of mana and power of their partner. Due to the dungeon's influence, they will repop after roughly one month.

When created by the Crystal Core, an Alseid will naturally form a place of power that can sustain them. The cost will rise if the environment is unsuitable. Placing them in an already existing place of power that does not contain a Nymph or other Great Spirit will result in a discount in CP costs.

Nyx: It seems you've made a Creature Variant. Well done, but please don't push yourself like that again. The Interface is more than just a tool.

 

| Create (5̷͚̓0 CP) | Body | Heart | Mind | Spirit | Abl̶̢̛ḯ̸̞l̵̰̃ties | Back |

 

What the hell just happened? I stared at the screen, watching as some of the glitched text repaired itself and became- normal. I felt a sudden surge of fatigue. The thought of my bed resurfaced, and I slowly lowered myself to the ground. Should I even try and make sense of this? Everything is so exhausting, even though I should be tireless at this point. I wonder... If things are so hard for me now... Do I even stand a chance when things actually start for real? I may just... not be meant for this world.

 

I rested there for a while, trying hard not to think about anything.

 

It wasn't long before everything was ready to complete the Mana Well. Just as before, activating the fire and water sources caused a massive disturbance. The sound and raw power unleashed overwhelmed my senses. Compared to what I'd managed with my little accident, this was a real cataclysm. Just being near it would have hurt me in a hundred different ways without Mage Armor.

 

It was... refreshing. Or at the very least, distracting. I felt my mood lifting up rapidly. Funnily enough, the idea of taking a nap became more appealing even as I found the strength to keep going. Things were going well, so it was fine to take a short break. I just needed to check the notification on the Interface first.

 

Congratulations on surviving '7' days! '0' Core breaches registered thus far.

 

Feature Designated: Mana Well: Completed!

Total CP generated: 10 CP per hour.

 

- why are we saying, how we're sad and lonely?

The Well was originally only going to add +5 CP total, due to diminishing returns. But that doesn't really make much sense, right? Why would there be diminishing returns when the quality of mana is increasing exponentially?

Oh, and I decided to add 'Alseids' at the last minute. A whole month being practically unable to write the first 200 words of this chapter, and then I suddenly toss in 2000 extra words like it's nothing. 🤯

Spoiler

Selene getting tired was backlash from making the Alseid, in case it wasn't clear. She didn't notice it happening, so it won't be explained from her perspective.

[collapse]

If you spot any problems, it's more important than ever to point them out.

15