Introduction
47 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fighting against an overpowering regime wasn't the easiest thing to do. Especially not when you're starving, weak, and didn't have resources unlike your government who could easily gun you down.

One would call him the Spiderman of Norja Kileem, or that he's the hero that Norja Kileem desperately needs. Dae-Jung Seon is a simple 19 year old who was able to stay out of the brainwashing mindset fed to the young generations in school. In any other country he would be deemed a hero. Yet here in Norja Kileem, this "superhero", as one might call it, would be deemed a threat; an evil target deserving to be taken out. So he hides his suits in rather odd places that no one would think to look. What are these odd places? Well, that's a secret that may or may not be revealed later.

Anyway, Dae-Jung isn't one that takes kindly on being told what to do. Perhaps he got this from his uncle who had been killed due to being "rebellious" – Or rather, tried to stand for what he believed in, only to pay the price with his life. Surprisingly, the rest of the family wasn't taken as well. But then again his family did disown his uncle so the rest of them wouldn't be killed or thrown in one of the horrid camps.

Does this tiny history lesson hold any importance? Yes and no. Tactics that brought upon fear was what controlled the masses. Maybe that was why his parents and grandmother refused to speak about his uncle, or why they turn a blind eye to a child being dragged off with their mother to a camp, or even why everyone bows down to a mere poster of their leader. Dae-Jung was concerned for his own safety, sure, but he also wanted one thing more than anything: the freedom to live.

Norja Kileem was hell on earth. Could he say that without getting punished severely? Probably not, but he sure as hell was secretly plotting on getting out of his home country. That's why he used the suit at night past curfew. He learned to figure out technology and began figuring out how to hack and gather intel, as well as entertainment from nearby countries. He began picking up some fight moves that he could use if anyone were to attempt an attack on him. He'd backflip and hit his head whenever he failed but kept at it. He then came across a secret broker and worked with them to get those who wanted to escape out onto different routes that could safely be taken to refuge.

While a freedom fighter at night, he was the perfect young man during the day. It was more of an act really. He didn't want to be accused of being a traitor against the system nor did he want to raise any sort of suspicion that would get his family killed. He would help the elderly carry bags, help little children escape from oncoming guards, and whatnot. Despite putting on a big smile in front of most people, Dae-Jung was not the greatest actor in the world, even though his life depended on it.

"What are you doing here?" Came a voice one a day behind him as he made his way home from... planning with a broker. Dae-Jung about froze on the spot, turning to see the source of the voice and his heart pounding due to it. The man who questioned him happened to be a soldier. One with a gun attached to his waist.

"O-oh hello." Dae-Jung swallowed and gave him a nervous grin. "I was just, uh," Dae-Jung reminded himself to come up with a quick but believable lie. "Helping!"

"Helping?" The soldier raises an eyebrow, giving him the look of suspicion.

"Yes, helping!" Dae-Jung holds back a nervous laugh. "I was helping some kids get home in the dark, we've... been hearing rumors lately. So I just wanted to make sure they got back safely." Good one Dae-Jung.

"And what kind of rumors?" The soldier crosses his arms, concern beginning to replace the suspicion.

"Oh haven't you heard?" Dae-Jung shoves his hands in his pants to keep from fidgeting too much. "It's been going on for a week now-- Some dark figure, picking up little kids when the sun goes down. It's quite worrisome if you ask me."

The soldier hums in response, nodding his head before settling his hand over his gun. "Sounds like I'll be close on the lookout. Run along now and don't let me catch you out here again."

Dae-Jung holds his breath to keep from exhaling a sigh of relief. "Yes sir!" He quickly turns and hurries his pace on getting home. Once he reaches the front door, he breathes a sigh of relief. "That was certainly a close call.." He murmurs before walking in. He quietly slips his shoes off and makes his way to the small room that he shares with his parents.

He slips his bag to beside his flat mattress on the floor before moving to lay down. He was planning on going to sleep, until a light lit up a candle.

"Where have you been?" His mother whispers and sets a hand over her hip as she walks his way. "Do you know how late it is?"

"Ma?" Dae-Jung sits up and feels the nervousness all over again, although it wasn't as bad as when he encountered the soldier from earlier. "I was helping some kids get home-"

"Don't lie to me." His mother sets the candle down on the floor before walking his way. She kneeled beside him and brushes his hair back before kissing his forehead. "You need to be careful, Dae-Jung. You can't get caught."

Dae-Jung sighs. "I know.." Able to tell exactly that she knew what he has been trying to do lately. With all of his sneaking around, avoiding the public, and overall suspicious behavior, it was most likely obvious to his parents.

The next day came around, and Dae-Jung was given two options to take that day. After being forced to watch a public execution of someone illegally bringing in food for his family, as well as watching his family be dragged to the camps, he was terrified. But he was also motivated.

Terrified of being caught and putting his parents through hell. Motivated to get out and somehow help his family find a better life in another country. Dae-Jung was at a dilemma and felt forced to arrive at a decision soon.

Is he going to stay in Norja Kileem out of fear, or is he going to flee and risk his fate ending up like those violently executed?

____

A/N: Hello everyone and thank you for reading The Targeted Hero! This book will have a mix of both fictional and real countries, so Norja Kileem is a country I made up but America and Germany will be mentioned in the series. This series will eventually have BL in it and some other fun times, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! 

0