Chapter 1: The Pretty Prince
2.9k 14 103
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello all!

Welcome to my story, The Witches of Floroma. I'm new to this site and I'm still figuring out what I'm doing and how I want to handle posting my story.

I'm currently experimenting on how I want to post this, and I'd appreciate any feedback.

As for the story itself. The Witches of Floroma is a story that I've been nursing for a while. It's a story about self-discovery, magic, and identity. I'll probably start by posting the first few chapters first then figure out how I want to go about things from there.

I also have a Discord where I'm posting about my stories found here. https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Enjoy!

The waning yawns of Summer blew across the brilliant jewel of the castle that crowned the Kingdom of Luxur. The people of the fair dominion were eagerly tending their bounties as the rural lands swelled with another surplus, no doubt the blessing of their benevolent god and king alike. A passing soul would quickly see the joy and satisfaction that was so clearly present on the faces of the men, women, and children of its pleasant villages, full of contentment and security.

The young Princess of their noble Kingdom, third Princess in line of succession, third born child of their mighty king, watched over them, seeing to the safety of their work. Their faces glowed as they saw her brilliantly regal pristine red and white armor. The Princess and her Lumina Knights were the pride of the realm, and the people eagerly sought a glimpse of their fair Princess Xenia. Even more so today as she dragged the body of a lingering bandit toward her carriage, already condemned to detainment in their dungeon for his violent attacks against their people.

“Damn bitch,” he muttered. “How is some brat of a girl that strong?” he grumbled as he nursed his ailing stomach.

She paid little mind to his trite comments. He was not worth the dignity of a response after all. Her decisive victory and his bruised ego were plenty enough to satiate her. Had it not been for her father’s decree, she would’ve considered leaving his judgment to the townsfolk, but his order called for the dungeon, and the dungeon it would be for him. She threw him into the carriage, where some of her knights properly handled him like a piece of luggage as they prepared for departure.

“Impressive work as always Captain,” one young knight in training, complimented her.

As they handled him, she looked back towards the village once more, the villagers eagerly waving at her. She gave a knightly bow to them to indicate her thanks and then turned towards the nearby hill. She gave a warm smile as her red eyes glittered in the sunset’s light, her long dark reddish hair flickering and whipping freely upon the wind.

“It’s time to move out,” she ordered knocking on the wooden carriage, the other knights heeding her commands and manning their positions. “We return to the castle at once!” she said as she mounted the carriage beside its driver. She hoped her next visit to this town could be one where she could enjoy its peace and drink in the sights and culture it had to offer, but for now her duty called.

Elsewhere, barely even short ride away, the same late day sun glowed upon a similarly respected individual. He swung his sword with cool and calm movements as he had so many a time today, honing his movements to perfection. He was still nowhere near the mastery of his elder sister, but he had improved much over the past few months. As he practiced a collection of noble girls watched on giggling as their beautiful prince shone under the sunlight. They ogled his toned features and slender face. He was the very image of a dashing prince, not too muscular like his elder brother, yet still with the muscle to be strong and dependable.

He was the youngest of the royal family, gentle and kind in manner and appearance, the sixth of six children, Gilbert Zalve Aurelo. His short auburn hair seemed to glow under the sunlight, his green eyes shimmering with focus as he practiced his movements again and again. The girls watched on as his skin glistened with sweat and his elegant movements struck the dummy before him.

As he swung his sword he suddenly stopped and took a deep breath, standing there for a moment, his face twisting with weariness, the girls watching on with eager concern. They sighed with sadness as their spectacle ended, lamenting that he seemed to be stopping so soon.

“What are you doing!?” Captain Kergo barked. “I didn’t give you permission to stop!”

“I’m sorry sir, I am simply feeling unusually winded,” Gilbert admitted.

“Winded? You didn’t skip out on your exercises or meals did ya?” the captain grumbled with a matching frustrated and intimidating glare.

“Perish the thought,” Gilbert answered pointedly before attempting to catch his breath once more. “I am simply tired is all. Perhaps I did not rest as well as I should have,” he considered.

“Ugh,” grunted the Captain. “Well, there’s no sense pushing you if you’re that debilitated. It’ll do more harm then good. Go and clean up for the day, but you’d better be ready to get back out here and work double time when you get back here tomorrow,” he said, a small snarl ending his otherwise considerate words.

“Of course, Captain,” Gilbert nodded as he relaxed himself. He took a deep breath and turned to leave the training field and into the open air hallway bordering the training field. The training field was massive, comprising the North Western quadrant of the castle grounds. It was a simple if moderately boring area, full of fresh sweet-smelling grass that plagued the otherwise dirt field. Although, it was far simpler than the elaborate garden immediately to the South of it where the nobles regularly met and gossiped while they visited. He vastly preferred the garden, it had a much more soothing energy to it, but there was little argument as to the practicality of the training field for his drills. He took another deep breath and turned down the Western hall to return to the armory and stow his equipment.

“Hey there, your Highness,” one of the soldiers greeted him. “Finished already?”

“Quite so, I am feeling a tad unwell today,” Gilbert answered dejectedly. “I am feeling rather exhausted.”

“Strange,” the soldier said, rubbing his chin perplexed. “You’re normally in such good shape. Better than I am,” he chuckled.

“You kiddin?” another soldier added as he fiddled his polearm onto a rack. “The captain pushes him so hard every day, I’m surprised this hasn’t happened sooner,” the man mused, finally managing to get the weapon to stay put in the worn-out mount. “Take some time to rest up, else you’ll wind up like my pops, worn out and in agony cause you didn’t take care of yourself.”

“I will do well to take your advice under consideration,” Gilbert nodded with a gentle smile.

“Man, always blows me away how much more refined y’all are,” the first solider laughed causing Gilbert to chuckle as he put his armor and sword away. “So much more graceful then the knuckleheads in our army.”

“Well, my teachers have been quite strict on etiquette,” Gilbert sighed, recalling his thorough lesson plan. Etiquette was always a priority. He recalled it being a far harsher ordeal for him. His teachers back then were always so particular and would criticize his movements. Their instructions made him rather embarrassed looking back on them.

“Well, we’re rooting for ya, Pretty Prince,” he laughed. Gilbert nodding before departing. However, he didn’t make it far before he entered the armory. “Ah, geez, what are you doin’ here?”

In the doorway stood a slender mischievous looking man, one with the face of a sneering jackal, both mocking and taunting, staring down condescendingly upon Gilbert. “To what do I owe the honor dear brother?” Gilbert gave a considerate and amicable greeting with earnest friendliness as he bowed. William was his elder brother, just short of a full decade his senior, a full and proper adult and a prim and proper man to boot. His long blue cloak stopped just above his dark boots and concealed his equally expensive dark blue clothes underneath, a white fuzz lining its edge matched only in color by his white hair, bleached by his countless experiments.

“Oh, just checking in on this inefficient dump,” William gave a snide and mighty glare as he surveyed the room. “It’s useful to remind myself how much of these inefficient toys we have floating around her. So, much gets spent on these pieces of junk after all,” he chuckled as he eyed one of the soldier’s weapons.

The soldiers bit their tongues as their Prince mocked them and their service, but Gilbert could not stand for that. “You would do well to remember the risks these men make for us dear brother,” he argued, a tad flustered. “It is rather discourteous to insult their labor so when they do so much for us.”

William simply laughed. “Oh, are you pouting?” he mocked. “Ah, yes, you are our Pretty Prince after all. I even heard you retired early today. Captain Kergo sounded quite cross with you. Was the exertion too much for our dainty little prince? Might I do better to call you our dearest princess instead?” he chortled as he patted Gilbert’s cheek with a condescending gentleness.

Gilbert blinked in shock as he felt a strange twist in his stomach. His brother always enjoyed mocking him, and for the life of him it always felt so deflating, especially when he teased him for his nickname. He tried to muster a word to counter, but found the words dying in his throat inexplicably.

“Not even a word of protest? Goodness you truly are pathetic. Well, I’ve wasted enough time with you rabble. Enjoy your loitering dearest Princess,” he let out a haughty laugh.

“What a prick,” one of the soldiers grumbled. “He acts as if his stinking magitech is so much better than us. Let’s see him on the battlefield and risk his life with that junk. If he wasn’t royalty or close with all those nobles he’d be singing a different tune, I bet.”

“I know what you’re saying, but the Prince is still right here,” the other jabbed him in the side.

“Oh, what? And he’s not also pissed about being compared to a weak girl? Yeah right,” the first bemoaned. “What an insult.” Gilbert knew what he meant, but those words still stung. After all, his elder sister, Xenia was as gorgeous and powerful a knight the realm had seen since Lady Lumina herself.

All Gilbert could do was grip his hand and try to recenter himself, shaking off the words weighing upon him. He suddenly felt even weaker than the moment before, surely overwhelmed by the exhaustion. At least the twist in his stomach was beginning to pass.

“Oh, yes, there was something else,” William’s voice returned, snapping Gilbert’s attention back up, the two talkative soldiers jumping to attention as he returned as well. “Oh, for the love of, pick up that sorry face of yours, will you?” he said giving a bored frown at Gilbert who mustered a stern look back in a vain effort of defiance. “Hmm,” he stared unimpressed. “Well, anyway, his Highness the king would like to speak with you. You’d best not keep him waiting,” William said dismissively before turning and leaving once more.

Gilbert silently departed to answer his father’s call, the soldiers unable to speak another word, lest William decide to return once more with another subject he had ‘forgotten.’ Gilbert was left to walk across the large courtyard towards his father’s chambers. Luxur Castle was a large one, the envy of many Kingdoms. On the Western end where he was lay a large yard where the soldiers would train regularly, the magitech provided by their sorcerers allowing for them to remain fresh and grassy in spite of the various traumas dealt to the earth. Their devices also allowed for them to manipulate and alter the landscape for all manner of training exercises, it was one of the major focuses of the King to aid to the outstanding proficiency of his men, though some, like William, believed the magitech had long since outstripped their mere forces, an argument the King seemed rather disinterested in.

On the Eastern end of the castle stood the sorcerers labs and gardens. The lands surrounding their labs were quite useful for growing all manner of herbs, fruit, and oddities to harvest for their numerous experiments. It was quite common for foul odors and loud banging sounds to permeate the Eastern wing as a result. It was rather distracting for the guards, often needing to investigate the loud and obnoxious work of the researchers, but the King found it worthwhile and useful, so they simply had to bear the frustration.

To the South was the massive gates which bridged the castle to the outside world, and guided visitors to the main structure of the castle itself immediately before them. The central building of the castle sprawled from the center of the campus all the way to the Northern walls which bordered a sizable mountain behind it. These central buildings were where Gilbert lived the majority of his days. Whether it be the dinning hall at night, the meeting halls for studying, the library which he enjoyed escaping into, or his own personal room, which he so pined to return to right now. Nay, instead he had to head up the stairs of the entrance hall and towards the chambers of his father which stood far above here. He climbed flight after flight of stairs, until the ground beneath him became obscured when seen from the windows, many stories in the sky. The King preferred this vantage point for strategizing and other kingly duties, although Gilbert was still uncertain what that meant. Although, Gilbert could hardly comprehend how the King could tolerate such long travels up and down the massive towers of stairs.

From the top floor stood massive windows which overlooked the untamed lands of Gaia stretched out beyond perception. As Gilbert glanced out he could only wonder what kind of creatures loomed beyond the castle walls. He had heard all manner of stories about demons and monsters, and he had only briefly encountered the likes of beast men, the dracna, and mermaids as the occasional envoy came to visit. Even further beyond, past the seas, stood distant foreign lands of different manners and customs, lands populated by many a mysterious creature, though they were too far beyond his imagining. He silently wished for the opportunity to visit such distant lands, but he was kept confined to this castle. However, his sixteenth birthday had just recently come and gone. Perhaps it was finally time for his father to send him out on a mission that would take him to such lands, like his elder siblings before him. He smiled at the prospect, but a shame that it first required meeting his father himself. Gilbert braced himself as he finally approached the door, preparing for the encounter before him.

It was all Gilbert could do to take a deep breath as he stared upon his father’s chambers, preparing himself for the oncoming event. He looked long and hard at the massive doors, large embellishments of hippogriffs covered in shining golden paint on a blazing red backdrop. The hippogriffs were the symbol of the great heroine Lumina who once led the nations great army to victory in ages long ago. Her legacy was one of the greatest treasures of the kingdom, matched only by the women of its Lumina Knights, who trained and fought in her honor. It was hard not to idolize such a legendary woman, or at least he believed so. How could one not idolize and desire to match her beauty and wondrous will, and her supreme might of course. And yet, here and now her visage acted more as a deterrent to the youth.

His father was a strict and serious man, devoted to the prosperity of his great Kingdom, often at the cost of his family life. Gilbert could count the number of praises he had received on his hand, and his number of meetings with him did not fair much better. In contrast he could not count the many number of times he chastised himself or his siblings. And yet, his father was a great and powerful warrior, paralleled by few others in all of the continent of Dracluce, much less the whole of Gaia. His strength and dedication were things to be in awe of and praise, and something that he was to strive for. Though that did little to comfort how truly intimidating it was to enter his domain and speak with him.

Gilbert mustered his strength and proceeded, the guards opening the doors for him as he approached. “Announcing the sixth heir to the throne, Prince Gilbert Zalve Aurelo!” one of the attendants declared. Gilbert released a sigh of relief as he noticed the hall had been vacated. There were no nobles to pry, and no knights to look on with their piercing eyes, just him, his father, and his immediate attendants. A fortunate contrast to the many busy scenes he had seen in the past.

He stood upon the stand for the King’s audience. “Greetings your Highness, I was told you wished to speak with me?” he asked with a loud and clear voice.

“Indeed,” the King answered with a chillingly calm, nearly indifferent, voice. He sat with a bold yet mighty demeanor, his face resting upon his fist. Despite being just over half a century old, his father’s musculature was undeniable, his chiseled features worn more by his perpetual glare than age. His dark brown hair hung just above his shoulders, barely grazing his regal red cape which hid his assuredly rich gowns beneath them, his golden crown cementing his kingly aura. “Do you know why I have called you here today young Prince?” his dark brown eyes stared down upon Gilbert.

“Nay your Highness. I can only speculate it is related to my recent birthday,” Gilbert silenced a slight tremble as he considered his desire.

“Quite,” he answered rising himself and standing up straight. “I have heard you have been performing well in your recent training endeavors. You have also been improving well in your studies as well I am told. Is this correct?”

“It is father. I have been as diligent as I can be in my efforts. If I may be so bold, I would appreciate the chance to challenge myself,” he declared, masking his unusual weariness. If this was his opportunity, then he would do his best to seize it. He looked on with great want and vigor as his father simply looked back with equal scrutiny.

“What manner of challenge would you have in mind?”

“I desire a chance to prove myself on the field. I could accompany Princess Xenia or Prince Aurith on their duties to patrol the Kingdom or…” he was cut off.

“Cease,” his father glared. “Perhaps come Spring I shall consider it.”

“But fa- your Highness, is not now the perfect opportu-…”

“I said cease, arrogant child!” he barked. “You shall wait until Spring, or perish the thought altogether. I am not about to alter our plans because you, a child, feel you are impulsively ready.”

“With all due respect your Highness, you had Princess Xenia deployed on missions when she was younger than I am now and-“

“If you will not cease, I shall have you ejected from my court, and you shall not even have such considerations at all. Do you understand me?” he growled, he slumped menacingly upon his fist again.

“I…I understand your Highness,” Gilbert answered dejectedly.

“Good. Now there is one more matter I had desired to discuss with you.”

“Y-yes, your Highness.”

“You seem quite weak at this moment,” he said with his piercing gaze.

“I…” Gilbert choked.

“Had you intended to conceal that fact from me?”

“N-no!” Gilbert jumped. “I…I just have felt tired today is all…”

“You intended to conceal this from me in order to gain favor for deployment, did you not?”

“I…y-yes your Highness,” he admitted glumly. There was little point in hiding it now.

“You shall notify the doctor and my attendant should you notice any further ailments, am I understood?”

“Yes, your highness,” Gilbert bowed.

“Good. Then we are finished. You may leave now,” he said, laying back in his throne as he eyed his child leave.

As Gilbert departed the chamber, he could suddenly feel the immense weight of his armor crashing down upon him. Exhausted mentally and physically he decided to descend the flights of stairs once more and make his way towards his room, disappointed by the results of his conversation.

“Gilly?” a woman’s voice called out to him. As he looked up he saw a gorgeous woman stand before him, wearing elaborate red and white armor, golden trim lining her chest, abdomen, and gauntlets, a brilliant red cape making her both impossible to miss and unmistakable as the leader of the Lumina Knights. “How do you fair, little brother?” Xenia asked warmly.

He did his best to muster a smile. “You know me, I’m doing well.”

“That’s our Pretty Prince,” she nodded. “I apologize that I missed your birthday while I was away on my mission.”

“No, no, you had your duties to attend to, I understand,” he nodded while waving his hand across his face. “Think nothing of it.”

“If you say so,” she frowned.

“You are back earlier than I expected though.”

“Ah, yes, we ran into quite the number of bandits, and you know father’s rules, we had to bring them back here. I understand it prevents the towns from being overwhelmed and it is what the church requests, but it is quite distracting,” she bemoaned.

“Oh? How long are you staying then?”

“Likely little more than a week. I have yet to decide upon that though.”

“I see,” he answered with a tinge of sadness.

“Gilbert? Is something the matter?”

“I…father called me to his chambers today.”

“Oh my. Did something happen?”

“Just the typical evaluation,” he sighed. “I tried proposing being sent out on active duty after he complimented my performance, but he rejected it out of hand.”

“I am sorry to hear that, brother. I would have gladly taken you, but if father objects…”

“I know…” he said taking a deep breath.

“Well, do not think too much of it. Aria is not far off from being knighted, and I am certain you shan’t be long behind her,” she nodded.

“She is?” Xenia nodded. “Wow, how exciting. I shall keep my hopes high then,” he said before taking another deep breath.

“Please do.”

“It is hard to believe though. I have seen so little of her of late. I miss the times we could all be together and play with each other,” he said as he started feeling slightly wobbly.

“Are you okay? You have been breathing awfully hard,” she asked concernedly.

“I am fine, I have just been rather tired today is all. Father seemed concerned though.”

“I am certain he is just keeping an eye out for your health, and so shall I.”

“Xenia?”

“Go on and head to bed Gilbert. We shall have time to talk later.

“Yes, I think I shall do that. Thank you, sister,” he nodded.

“Goodnight, my brother.”

103