Chapter 4: The Witch’s Hex
2.1k 17 106
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This is all for the first batch of chapters.

Like I said in the Chapter 1 notes, I'm still figuring out what I want to do here. Hope everyone enjoys it.

Also as a second reminder, I have a Discord dedicated to my writing, complete with a link to the full story already, found here: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Enjoy!

 

The cool morning air of Autumn continued to bless the Kingdom, and much like the morning before, Gilbert found himself far more susceptible than before to the chilled air. His lean slender frame pierced by its chilling breath. He fought to remain warm and asleep, pulling his blankets close and tight, wrapping himself tightly in their embrace. Before he knew it though, he had rolled too close to the edge of the bed in his battle for warmth. Finally, a soft thud resounded through his room.

In the midst of his fight, a knock sounded from the door, and then it opened to reveal Ciri. “Good morning Master. I see you’ve taken the floor as your new lodging,” she said with a playful bite as she laid down breakfast on his table.

“Good morning Ciri,” he said wearily before yawning in his still unfamiliar high tone. He struggled to open his eyes before managing to pull himself from his blankets. “Thank you for breakfast as always.” He eyed the warm food on his table. What looked to be a hearty meal of eggs and thick bacon with toast stood with a gorgeous grape danish lured him to sit down at his desk.

“It’s no issue Master. However, I’m not here just for that this morning,” she said beaming with enthusiasm.

“Oh?” he peppered and salted his eggs with anticipation.

“While you eat, I think it would be helpful to go over the procedure for your meeting with the King.”

“Procedure? I am used to that,” he pouted as he bit down on his jellied toast. “I know how to introduce myself before the King.”

“Master, due to your condition, the procedure will be a little bit different. The guards will not recognize you, and you will need someone to vouch for you in the court,” Ciri said, scolding Gilbert for his dismissiveness.

“Wait, what do you mean?”

“You will be presented by her Royal Princess, Xenia to the court. From there she will attest to the truthfulness of your claims and will moderate on your behalf.”

He sighed. “Just like when I had an attendant when I was still a youngling,” he took a bite of his bacon. “Remind me again why we need to do this through his royal court?”

“You’re still quite the youngling,” Ciri noted. “And the king is a busy man, even your elder siblings cannot get his attention without going through his court. In fact, even the Queen doesn’t get such a leisure when she is here,” she explained dutifully. “The only ones who get to bypass the court are his immediate advisors and attendants, and even then, that is because they are required to meet him during meetings and the court itself.

Gilbert sighed. “There truly is no avoiding this situation then is there. I guess I must entertain this embarrassing need for the court then.”

“Precisely. Now hurry and finish eating. Then I shall aid you in getting dressed,” she said with a smile.

“Help get… CIRI!” he exclaimed. “My body may have changed, but I still know how to get dressed!” he objected.

“Hohoh, Master? So, you know how to put on a corset and how to properly style your longer hair?” she teased, prompting Gilbert to notice that his hair now fell just below his shoulders. “I was unaware that Master was so talented.”

“Wait, corset!? Did you not fetch Aria’s spare armor like I asked?” he asked in shock.

“Silly Master, you still need to fasten that armor, and that is quite similar to a corset,” Ciri laughed condescendingly. She was enjoying this too much, much to Gilbert’s shock. He was uncertain if she was being serious or simply teasing him, a doubt that only served to give Ciri leverage.

Gilbert’s face flushed when she said that. Aria and Xenia always complained about corsets fastening their armor, and now he had to wear one as well? She was right though, tease or not, he was unaware of how to properly prepare his attire and hair and it was something that never occurred to him. There was a thought in his mind to say styling his hair was not that important, but instinctively knew that Ciri would cleverly explain herself around that one as well. “Alright you win,” he sighed.

After finishing his food, Ciri helped dress him in the armor. It was surprisingly different from the men’s armor despite its similar appearance. There were several more straps in places to keep the suit and metal guards in place in places that felt quite unusual to him. It was surprising to him that Aria and Xenia, as well as their fellows would put up with this…invasive feeling. Next was the hair, Ciri stylizing it into an elegant braid which lay simply down his neck. Both efficient and comfortable.

Before long, it was finally time. He marched up the flights of steps beyond the floors of meeting rooms and the library. Behind him was Xenia who wore an elegant red and purple dress which had pieces of armor on her shoulders and along the skirt. It was more ceremonial than anything, and it was likewise striking and beautiful, glimmering in the light while retaining a certain simplicity to remind her onlookers that she was both a Princess and a warrior who was not to be easily trifled with.

As he climbed the stairs, he made note of the fact that it was not nearly as draining as the last time. Although he hoped it was a sign for improvement, he also quickly noted that it could just as easily be due to his lighter physique. However, the armor still remained a hefty burden he was no longer used to. However, such thoughts could no longer linger as they finally emerged at the hippogriff embellished doors to the court.

“It is time,” Xenia announced, the guards moving to open the doors. “Remember, you are to wait here until I announce you to the court, you understand?”

“Yes, si-…Princess Xenia,” he said, biting his tongue, remembering her earlier instructions to act as one of her knights in-training until she had made her pronouncement. Gilbert stood by near the window as Xenia took a deep breath and approached the massive court doors, opening to reveal the court within.

“Now, introducing her esteemed highness, Princess Xenia Val Aurelo of our esteemed Kingdom of Luxur!” announced the attendant, as Xenia approached the mount before the King, her father, the doors closing behind her. Unlike when her brother entered just over a week before, the court was full of people, nobles all giving witness to the proceedings on one side, and the knights on the other. This turn out was unfortunate, she would have preferred a reduced audience, but the King insisted they meet after a large meeting regarding festivities she was unconcerned and disinterested in. Regardless, that meant that the influx of nobles and knights was a guarantee she was unable to avoid, and they would have to persist through it.

“To what do we owe the honor of your presence, Princess?” King Aurelo questioned as he leaned back in his throne, evidently weary of the previous proceedings.

“I come today with a guest to, one of whom, along with myself come bearing an inquiry. This inquiry is in regard to the condition of my younger brother, Prince Gilbert, on his behalf,” she announced boldly and clearly. It was rather frustrating how exact her words had to be, but it was necessary to establish her intention to convince the King to hear their case.

“An inquiry?” he echoed. “Intriguing, I was under the expectation that he was to approach the court doctor regarding this matter, but I would imagine the situation is rather dire if you are here,” he surmised. Gilbert had told her of his instructions, and failing that procedure did reflect poorly, however his attitude seemed beneficial and he would certainly… “However, I am uninterested in you wasting my time when your brother is the one who should be asking for this advisement. Unless you can produce him immediately, I will have to dismiss your inquiry,” he gave a quiet glare.

“Understood your Highness,” she bowed. Xenia looked toward the door and then back at the King who gave her a stern glare as his chiseled face began resting upon his fist. The intent of his impatient glare was clear; he was ready to throw her and her ‘guest’ out should he be unenthused. She took a deep breath and stared down her father, the King. “I, Xenia Val Aurelo, third heir to the throne, formally introduce my guest and younger brother, Gilbert Zalve Aurelo, to the court.”

It was time, Gilbert took a deep breath and advanced to and through the door. As he walked toward his sister and before the King he could hear gasps of shock and condescending whispers damning his sister for a jesting prank. Gilbert stood before the King and kneeled before him. “I am Gilbert Zalve Aurelo, sixth Prince to the throne. I come to beseech the King for guidance.”

“What is the meaning of this!?” Gilbert recognized the haughty prickling voice from the right side of the court where the nobles stood. It was that of his elder brother, William, eight years his senior. The tall slender man, with long silver spiraled hair, smugly grinned with his jackal like face. The same smug face that would harass him daily for his gentle appearance. He was second to the throne and a petty man always scheming how to manipulate others to his whims. He was masterful at playing others and was frustratingly charismatic and showy in his presentation. The soldiers hated him. The nobles adored him. It was unsurprising that he would be the first to challenge their claim. “Dear sister, have you become hysterical? Gilbert is a man, a fierce knight in training,” he chortled. “He may be called the ‘Pretty Prince,’ but he is no woman like yourself. Besides this girl here barely looks like she could hold a sword. Do not waste his Highness’s time with this childish joke,” he chuckled, riling up the nobles with laughter.

“Quiet William, allow our sister the chance to answer,” spoke a stern booming voice from the other side of the court. It belonged to Gilbert’s elder brother, five years his elder, Aurith, the fourth heir to the throne trailing just after Xenia. He was a large commanding man with striking crimson armor, and short spiked brown hair. He was a powerful and just man who had claimed the position of Captain at the age of 17, at the same time that Xenia became Captain of the Lumina Knights. His chiseled physique was the envy of the army, and the bold backing that inspired their forces in combat. It was comforting to know that even now he would not accept William’s disruptions. “What she says may appear to be outlandish, however her achievements demonstrate that she deserves our respect and attention.”

“Come now Aurith, I realize that you have a certain obsession with our sister, but should you truly bend yourself to this nonsense? No more than one of you should have to drag yourself through this mud,” William’s retorts earned a sharp glare from both Aurith and Xenia laced with murderous intent.

“Watch your tongue William! Or do you desire to meet my blade!” Aurith snarled. The knights beside Aurith gave a matching vindictive glare towards William and the nobles on the other side of the court who returned with a parade snide and superior grins.

“ENOUGH!” erupted a voice that made even Aurith’s voice sound small, the King had met his patience. “This is my court, not your playground!” the king chided them with an angry glare. “Aurith!”

“Yes, your Highness!” Aurith answered, a swift swing of his right arm to his chest.

“You will not threaten another, much less your elder brother, in my court without my expressed permission!”

“Yes, your Highness! It shan’t happen again!” Aurith apologized as loudly, which earned a mocking grin from William.

“And you William!” continued the King, William turned with his expression evaporating into one of dulled boredom for his father.

“Yes, your Highness?” William gave a wily, disingenuous smile to the King.

“I will not tolerate your accusations again. You have been warned before. This is my court, and do not presume to speak for me or my court again. Pray I do not choose to punish you later for your annoying outbursts!” The King declared.

“I understand your Highness. It shan’t happen again,” he said with a mocking curtesy. The forced elegance of his movements was graceful and appealing to his noble backers while the soldiers on the opposite side let out an audible groan.

“SILENCE!” The room quieted in obedience. “Now then Princess Xenia, you had best have a good explanation for making a mockery of this court with this show of yours.”

“I do your Highness. As was declared, this is the sixth Prince to the throne, my brother Gilbert,” she said in a cool collected manner, shaking off the angered eyes drilling into her.

“You mean to say that this girl here is my son? The same one whom I witnessed but a week ago with mine own eyes?” he inquired with intimidating intent.

“I realize it is hard to believe your Highness, but…”

“Enough of this!” he snapped. The guards stamped in preparation for coming orders. “Child! Gilbert!” Gilbert looked up in response. He was trying desperately not to cry from fright and keep his stoic persona stable. For some reason it was much more difficult to maintain that toughness now as the foreign pervasive fear spread through him. With all the shouting between his brothers it was becoming increasingly difficult. And then there was his father’s cold stare. It made him want to run away, but he could not. It was always intimidating, and something in him now was even more susceptible to this fear than before, feeling small and powerless. But he could not relent, not now, not like this. “Do you stand by this claim.”

“I do,” he said calmly and resolutely with his soft gentle voice. There was a pulse of unrecognizable pain from that, but now was not the time to linger on that.

“Then let us see the worth of your claim,” he held his hand forward and a sphere of light appeared in his grasp. As he held it, a circle of light appeared around Gilbert. It was frightening and strange, unlike any spell he had witnessed before. He leapt to his feet in confusion and horror. Was his father going to attack him?

And yet it was over just as it began, just as quickly as the light appeared it vanished. “What was that?” Xenia asked in shock as Gilbert fell to his knees.

“It was a simple scanning spell,” interjected William. “I am shocked you haven’t learned it yourself. It is quite handy, especially for disproving a lie. Then again, it is not so surprising that someone as unlearned as yourself would fail to know that much.”

“Silence William!” the King barked. “I, Zerto Lx Aurelo, recognize your claims as legitimate and true, Xenia and Gilbert.”

“Wait, what do you mean father!? This girl cannot possibly be our…?” William objected in shock.

“I said silence William! Speak again and I shall have you ejected from this court! And to answer your outburst, that is in fact Gilbert. He has been hexed by a witch,” the court fell silent with that. Gilbert’s eyes grew wide both in relief and horror. Father recognized him, but a hex? A witch? What did he mean? “Gilbert!”

Gilbert rushed back to his feet and stood stern, his braid bouncing against his neck. “Yes, your Highness!”

“You have been cursed by my mortal enemy, Phordata Floroma. She is a powerful, sly, and vindictive witch that has plagued me for much of my life, and it appears she has chosen to target you in my stead. In order to end this nonsense, you must go forth, hunt her, and slay her. Should you fail, the curse will change you permanently,” he announced, Gilbert’s face heated from shock. “Do not allow such disgrace to fall upon our Kingdom. You will find her to the North in the Dark Forest, once you have killed her, and your body has been restored, return to me as your true self, my child,” the King declared. “Be honored, you set out on a glorious task for your Kingdom. My beloved child.”

“Your Highness, if I may,” Xenia interjected.

“What is it?” he replied with an ambivalent glare.

“How is he to carry out this task? If she is powerful enough to challenge even you, then how will Gilbert…” she inquired with slight panic in her voice.

“Do not worry yourself Princess. I shall discuss this matter with Aurith to deploy a regiment with Gilbert,” Xenia was taken aback by that. Gilbert looked at her with sadness as the thought of being separated crossed his mind. The mere thought of traveling with Aurith’s knights felt discomforting, especially in his progressing state. And that was if Aurith was present, if he had been with some other general...his heart sank. “Unless,” the two snapped back to the King. “Princess Xenia, I shall offer you the opportunity to accompany your brother, complete with your personal regiment to hunt Phordata. You will still need to consult Aurith once you’re prepared however.”

“Of course, your Highness. I graciously accept your kind offer!” she eagerly answered.

“Good. Then you have your mission, you are now dismissed.”

“The court will now be suspended for an hour recess!” the attendant announced as the royals and knights began yelling in an uproar, Xenia quickly escorting Gilbert out of the court, evading the ire of those inside.

Moments later the two found themselves outside the court and descending the stairs in relative silence as they approached the ground floor, uncertain of what to say. The two sat down upon a couple of the seats in the Entrance Hall, at a loss of what to do, only trading nervous glances for several moments.

“Gilly, Xenia!” Aria’s voice echoed through the halls as she and Mable descended the stairs and approached them. “Thank goodness you two are alright.”

“Aria, how are things?” Xenia inquired.

“Not good. I’m certain you noticed how the court was in a total uproar. The nobles are making a big deal about King Aurelo’s pronouncement,” Aria explained.

“It was terrifying,” Mable added.

“Wait, you were there too, Mable?” Gilbert asked.

“Mhmm,” she nodded. “I’m sorry I didn’t check up on you yesterday, but Ciri informed me last night that you were meeting with his Highness today, so I wanted to be there for you. Even so though, I had no idea you had changed so much, and then when his Highness mentioned a witch, I…I’m so sorry,” she frowned.

“What’s our next move Princess?” Aria asked.

“While I didn’t suspect a witch could be involved, I had planned to welcome Gilbert into the custody of the Lumina Knights in response to the likely outrage of the nobles. We should be ready to depart before the day’s end,” Xenia explained. “Ciri should be finishing our final preparations as we speak.”

“So, you all are heading out then, right?” Mable asked.

“That’s correct,” Xenia nodded, as Gilbert looked down dejectedly.

“Don’t worry, Mable, Xenia, myself, and the other knights will be there to protect him. You have no need to worry,” Aria added.

“Nonsense! We aren’t talking about some group of bandits, we’re talking about a witch! I-I know that I’m not one well built for travel, but I know my way around spells, far better than any other here. So please, take me with you all too!” Mable pleaded.

“Are you certain that’s what you want?”

“Definitely! I don’t want to be stuck here worrying about all of you while you go off and risk your lives. Besides, no offense, but you and the Princess can get quite caught up in your work, as can the other knights. I can help accompany Gilbert while you guys keep to your knightly duties,” she argued, and it was a solid point. One which Xenia overtly considered.

“I suppose you are right,” Xenia nodded. “Alright, you can come with us, but you have to listen to any and all of our orders, understood?”

“Of course,” she smiled.

“You mean, the four of us will all be traveling then?” Gilbert inquired, with a joyful tune.

“Sounds like it,” Aria nodded.

“That is…most exciting,” he giggled a joyous warmth traveling through his body.

As the four bantered about their plans, the large bulky armor of Gilbert and Xenia’s brother descended the stairs as well before approaching them. “Sister, brother, do you have a moment?” Aurith called to them.

“Aurith, I wasn’t expecting you yet,” Xenia replied with a sense of curiosity.

“I have discussed the details with his Highness, and I have some orders for you and your forces,” he said with a stern tone.

“Orders?” Gilbert asked somewhat concerned.

He cleared his throat to prepare himself. “By order of his majesty, King Aurelo, Gilbert Zalve Aurelo shall hence forth be referred to as a woman known as Gillian, a visiting Princess that has become friends with Princess Xenia. Gilbert is also instructed to dress accordingly during your hunt.”

“Aurith, that is absurd!” Xenia objected. “Gilbert already has to go through this humiliation, now you want him to masquerade as a visiting Princess!?”

“I recognize your objections sister, but the fact of the matter is that none would recognize him as Gilbert, nor his station. His Highness has decided that this is in the better interest of your mission and the Kingdom’s interest,” Aurith said bluntly, yet with a slight warmth to it. He did not seem to agree with the action, but recognized the necessity, but practically and from the larger view of things.

“But…” Xenia clenched her fist

“It is alright sister,” Gilbert interrupted. “I will be fine. Father and Aurith are right. I cannot act as though I still have my old body. It is for the best that I act accordingly for now.”

“But brother…”

“For now, I think it is best if you at least refer to him as sister until you get more comfortable with the arrangement, Xenia,” Aurith advised.

“Do not worry. I can handle it,” Gilbert said with confidence.

“I understand…uh…sister,” she said with a slight blush.

“T-thank you!” he wasn’t quite sure why, but he felt his cheeks light up with that. It was rather embarrassing actually hearing her say that, but there was also a certain excitement to it as well. He took a deep breath as he processed that he would be identifying as such from this point forward, as Gillian the Princess from a far. Gillian, yes that would be her name and identity going forward, at least for now.

* * *

Gillian returned to her room at the further instruction of Aurith informed prepare as the others made their final preparations as well. Mable had to pack herself, and Xenia and Aria both had to focus on finishing the preparations for their caravan. As she entered she found Ciri waiting for her with an open chest full of clothing. Gillian blushed as she looked at it overflowing with vibrantly colorful dresses and undergarments. “Hello, Princess,” she greeted, giving a slight emphasis to the ‘Princess’ part.

“H-hello, Ciri,” she answered meekly, once again blushing from the excitable rush of embarassment. “I suppose you’re here to help me get ready?” she said eyeing the clothes.

“Indeed, I am,” she nodded gracefully. “First let me help you get out of that armor, and then we can prepare your dress.”

“M-my dress,” she stammered. What a strange sensation. Was this excitement? Nay, it must be anxiety, it had to be. Regardless of the feeling, it was quite odd to hear the clothing described as hers, and that did not even begin to approach the alien feeling of being referred to as a princess. She took a deep breath to calm herself and nodded resolutely, failing to hide the blush snatching itself upon her cheeks. Like she told Xenia, she was confident she could handle this, it was just clothing after all. “I am ready,” she nodded.

Ciri nodded in return as the two began the process of removing the multiple pieces of armor that they had laboriously put together this morning. With all her armor removed she was once more left with this new body and curvaceous form, it was a tad embarrassing simply standing there, fully conscious of it and unprotected by the armor. Ciri paid her little mind though as she fished through the chest and retrieved a navy blue dress with white lacework along the skirt and the top of the bodice. It wasn’t the most elaborate piece in the world, but it’s simplicity was striking and beautiful nonetheless. “This should do nicely,” Ciri stated.

“A-are you certain? The shoulders are quite…bare,” she blushed.

“Oh, need not worry about that. It is quite the popular form of dress these days,” Ciri explained. “And you shall have plenty of jackets to warm you in the warmer weather ahead.

“I-is it?” she didn’t know one way or the other. She had rarely been outside of the castle before, and she was always so focused on other things that subjects like fashion were beyond her.

“Certainly. Now let’s get you changed,” she said pulling out a few different types of undergarments, which caused Gillian’s embarrassment to deepen further.

She sighed. “I suppose I better.”

A short while later, a short distance from the Entrance Hall, Mable emerged, a couple of the Lumina Knights carrying a pair of chests of equipment and materials. “Is all of that necessary?” Aria questioned.

“O-of course,” Mable nodded, her teal hair bouncing as she pulled her simple wooden staff to her chest. “A-at least, I think so. We don’t know what we’ll be up against. This should hopefully help us if we wind up in any predicaments. D-do you think it’s too much?” Mable explained as the knights continued to the carriage to store them.

“Whatever you think is best I think,” Aria nodded with slight hesitation. “You know better about this than we do.

“Are you two prepared?” Xenia questioned approaching them.

“Yes ma’am,” Aria saluted, Mable gripping her staff in both of her hands and giving a thorough and strong nod. “All we are waiting on is…”

“Wait, what’s with all the noise?” Mable asked as she looked towards the Entrance Hall. A collection of nobles had assembled and were being quite loud as they swarm the doors. The girls looked on perplexed as the swarm continued to crowd the doors before eventually giving way as a pair of Lumina Knights parted the swarm. “Wait, are they the ones escorting Gillian?” Mable considered aloud.

“It would seem so,” Aria answered as the knights approached. As they neared them, it became quite clear that they were shielding someone behind them, a young woman wearing an elegant blue dress with long blue gloves and a white capelet, a lace flower adorning her tumbling hair.

“Oh, my goodness,” Mable said with a gasp.

“Gilb…er…Gillian, is that really you?” Xenia asked.

“I-is it too much? T-tis distracting too distracting, I knew it?” she fretted with a furious blush as her hands fidgeted around the dress. “Ciri insisted upon all of this.”

“N-no. You actually look, er…, apologies, but you look…gorgeous,” Aria stammered. Gillian looked at her with wide surprised eyes. She thought she was gorgeous?

“She’s right, you’re so beautiful, cute too,” Mable said with a clear nearly giddy blush.

“P-please stop teasing me,” Gillian begged.

“They are quite right…sister, you truly are gorgeous,” Xenia added.

“Y-you mean it?” the others nodded. “M-me? Beautiful? Cute?” she questioned. She felt kind of warm and tingly hearing them call her that. It was too much, she tried to hide her heating cheeks behind her balled up fists, feeling utterly embarrassed.

“I see you are all prepared then,” Aurith said as he approached. “If you are, then I have one final piece of instruction.”

“M-more instructions?” Gillian shook.

“You need not worry, this is primarily for Xenia’s needs,” he clarified.

“Speak brother,” Aria nodded, crossing her arms confidently.

“As father announced in the court, you will need to head to the North towards the Dark Forest. While it is under our rule, you will need to cross into the former domain of Ethnerta and continue further North to get there. Once you have you will need to be cautious, Winter will likely be upon you, and the Forest is known to be particularly dangerous during those colder months,” he warned.

“I understand brother. Thank you for your consideration.”

“I pray for your safe journey and success,” he said with his confident timber. “May his might guide your blades,” he gave a bow.

“Thank you, brother,” Gillian bowed in turn. “May things be well in our absence.”

“I wish the same,” Xenia bowed, prompting Aria and Mable to mimic her movements. “Until we meet again,” she said before pivoting towards the caravan, the knights all looking to her. “Everyone to their positions! We leave at once!” she commanded.

By the time all was said and done, the sun was high in the sky, midday beating down upon them as they left with great speed, leaving their childhood home behind. The stamping feet of their horses carried them far and away in the number of hours since their departure as they headed North as they approached one of the towns just beyond of the castle, the town of Feldspar. It was not as major as the city surrounding the castle, but it was not one of the smaller villages ahead either. With waning sunlight, they chose to retire here, the knights all readily retiring at a larger local inn.

“Be advised, sister, we will not have so many opportunities like this in the future,” Xenia commented. “Between here and the North, such locations will begin to become unable to accommodate our larger numbers, so we will have to camp,” Xenia explained as they approached their room.

“I understand that sister, but is it truly wise for us to share a room?” Gillian asked concernedly.

“I see no issue with it. In fact, I would prefer having you under my watch for now. You are in no condition to protect yourself at present,” Gillian could only sigh as the sting of her comment sank in. It was true, before they left she had attempted to wield a sword, and even to swing it, but her grasp could only tremble, and her swings were wild and uncontrollable. It wasn’t just that her strength was gone, it was as if all her training had dissipated. Her muscles disobeyed her, and her movements were impossible to maintain. She truly was a defenseless maiden now.

“I understand sister, tis just a little…awkward sharing a room with you,” she blushed.

“Do not concern yourself with it,” Xenia chuckled. “All you need do is relax.”

“Right sister.”

As they arrived at their room the two, weary with their long day, quickly set upon changing for the night and getting some rest, Gillian had particular struggles as she undid parts of her garb, but feeling quite gleeful once she had. She was briefly flustered once it came to her choice of sleepwear, discovering that no pajamas had been supplied to her, only long flowing nightgowns.

“This is a tad embarrassing,” she sighed as she pulled at her light blue nightgown.

“You will have to make do for now,” Xenia said curtly as she relaxed in her own red nightgown as Gillian changed into her own.

“Even so…although I suppose it is rather comfortable. Do you wear these all the time?” Gillian asked.

“Not all the time, but I do frequently. They are rather comforting after long days in my stiff armor,” Xenia gave a glowing grin. “They can be rather liberating.”

“Liberating, huh?” Gillian said tugging at the bodice. “Yes, I suppose they are,” she said as she cozied into her bed. “Goodnight sister.”

“Goodnight, Gilly.”

* * *

The night came and went in peace. The late autumn sun began her ascent into the sky the brisk air warming in her light. The Inn was quiet, as the majority of the soldiers took what may be their last pleasant rest before their long journey began in earnest. Even should they find cozy lodgings ahead, they would certainly need to maintain their guard and keep vigilant scouting. In the back of the Inn rested the core of the detachment, as Xenia and Gillian shared a room. An event that had not occurred since Gillian was but a young child.

As the sun’s light pierced their window, it tore away at Gillian’s eyes, waking her from her much-needed slumber. She tossed and turned, chasing the fleeting bliss of sleep until she could no longer. She lurched forward and brushed her eyes free of sleep. She looked around the room to find Xenia still quietly slumbering away which soothed her nerves. She briefly considered returning to bed when she suddenly realized her need to answer nature’s call. She quickly rushed to the bathroom in their suite, which was quite elegant, fit for a noble as the Inn keeper promised. It was complete with bright white walls, a large vanity and mirror, and a pleasant painting of a nearby village titled “Winter’s Cottage,” which showed a pleasant wooden cottage covered in a blanket of snow, perched atop a pleasant hill. It truly captured the quiet pleasantry of the Winter blankets. Perhaps she would get to see the cottage as it was in the painting, a thought which excited her. She always had desired to travel, a desire she was certain to hold close to stay afloat during her long journey ahead.

As she washed her hands clean, her image in the mirror caught her attention. Mable and Aria were right, she really was quite pretty. Her soft face was the perfectly round, with a touch of natural blush. Her lips had become more pronounced and fuller, her nose small and delicate, and her eyes were like large emeralds. Looking over herself made her blush out of embarrassment. Embarrassment felt like this, correct? And why was her lips trying to smile? Before she could linger on that too long, something else caught her eye.

The previous couple days she had avoided looking over her body in detail, but even avoiding such observation, two particular things were clearly amiss. Her hair, just the day before, grazed the bottom of her shoulders, and now it descended well below the countertop, and was longer than Xenia’s hair, even potentially longer than Mable’s. The other detail she was particularly aware of because of her clothing situation. Dealing with the armor and her new dress, she knew that her breasts were present, but their size was easily masked before. Her small breasts were easily able to fit into male armor with little modification. The armor was ill-fit elsewhere, but her modest breasts were not a problem. Now, however, that clearly was no longer true, as her breasts now pushed against her night shirt, causing it to bulge in an unfamiliar way. The hex had once again changed her body, and she now perfectly fit the role of a sheltered maiden from a fairytale. She blushed at this thought as she began to wonder how much time she truly had.

106